• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Gamepad feel?

ProfessorHugbox

Reaction score
Painwheel Peacock Parasoul
Hi, I'm trying to get some advice on gamepads. I hear a lot of "if you're serious about this game, you should get a fight stick", but, for one, I'm pretty casual, and I can't afford a good fight stick. I just want something that feels good to use. I had started the game with a Gamecube controller actually. I loved the feel of a Gamecube controller for Soul Caliber 2, which was the only fighting game I was really into, so I thought I would use it. The problem though is that I don't think it's truly compatible. The controller going through an adapter probably contributes to some input lag, plus I have to use Joy2Key to jump forwards or backwards. Inputting :QCF: moves are a pain and seldom work right. I'm just looking for something that feels smooth and executes well. If it's a PS3, xbox controller ect you recommend, what brand? Original or third party? Some old gen controller work good? Let me know.

Thanks.

PS1/PS2/PS3 pad or Stick.

Hitbox is also an option, but I have no input on how cool/viable it is. May want to PM Elkydori or Worldjem on that one.

PS1/PS2/PS3 pad or Stick.

Hitbox is also an option, but I have no input on how cool/viable it is. May want to PM Elkydori or Worldjem on that one.
Hitbox is more for transitioning from a keyboard to a fightstick I've heard, and is pretty hybrid. I would imagine a decent one would be pretty expensive anyways. Doing quick searches on price come over 100 dollars, seldom under that. I have a Ps3 pad laying around so I'll probably try with that.

A lot of people prefer using a joystick but there's nothing wrong with using a gamepad. There are even tournament players who play with a gamepad.

I mainly play on a joystick but sometimes I play with a xbox 360 controller when I just want to relax and play arcade mode without taking my joystick on my laps and I can do just fine with it. I have to re-learn the inputs for my combos because the button layout is not the same but that's just a matter of habit. And sometimes I miss quarter circle inputs but I don't play a lot with my pad so it probably comes down to practice (and I hear a lot of people saying that the xbox 360 D-pad is not great).

There even are people who play fighting games on keyboard without any problem. If you have a PS3 controller you should give it a try and see how it feels.

I'm glad I saw this thread. Now I can retire my PS2 controller.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm having problems with it. It'll randomly stop working in the middle of a game. :/

Last edited: