• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Getting reflect instead of excellebella

drewski

Reaction score
Steam
drewski
Big Band Cerebella

The savestate starts after a kanchou in the corner. You can see that both LP and LK are pressed, but reflect comes out instead of excellebella after the devil horns. I'm guessing it might have something to do with autocorrecting, but I dunno.

Welp.

Excella is both higher in the priority list, AND there is a 2f window to kara-cancel Reflect into it if you get a Reflect first.
I really have no idea.
I would sort of guess that it has to do with the fact that you're hitting left directions in there? Since the DP can just be done facing right.

Welp.

Excella is both higher in the priority list, AND there is a 2f window to kara-cancel Reflect into it if you get a Reflect first.
I really have no idea.
I would sort of guess that it has to do with the fact that you're hitting left directions in there? Since the DP can just be done facing right.
I just tested it for a minute or two, and it's definitely because of the left directions. Got excellebella every time except for the first time I tried putting a left direction in there.

EDIT: wait, nope, just got it from this too: http://imgur.com/4WwMGjX
EDIT2: Here's a longer, unedited video where this happens 3 times:

Occurs at 0:19, 0:26, and 1:00. A left direction is hit every time, but the above screenshot shows it happening without any left inputs pressed.

Last edited:
@Mike_Z

I spent a decent amount of time today looking into this "bug", and even made another video of what I thought was a crazy input bug involving inputting a command grab the frame after recovery and now I feel kind of silly.

AS IT TURNS OUT, whenever this occurs after devil horns, it's because I am inputting the LP+LK too early during recovery, and my special comes out due to negative edge, which is why even with inputs that appear perfect in the training display, I'll still get reflect. At least, that is what I am currently assuming. Here is the video I had made which eventually led me to realize it was negative edge:

This brings up another question though: Does a command grab (specifically regarding how excella deals with reflect) still have all those warm, friendly buffers when it is done with negative edge?

Ac...tually...no? Well sorta. After looking, it does have a negative-edge buffer, but only when the buttons are released on the same frame.
So yeah.

Maybe I can fix that?

Ac...tually...no? Well sorta. After looking, it does have a negative-edge buffer, but only when the buttons are released on the same frame.
So yeah.

Maybe I can fix that?
I would be really grateful! It's a decently rare occurrence for me, but getting a burstable reflect instead of excella is unfortunate, even though it is my own sloppy execution's fault.

I got a "problem" that may be related.
When I do kanchou and try to catch the opponent mid air with pummel horse, I get battletoads most of the time.

I use lp+lk macro, and the input list tells me I did forward, hk, lp+lk in this order, but I still get battletoads. Only times I get pummel horse is when I delay heavily the pummel horse input, so I guess there is some interaction with the end of the recovery. I don't think it is negative edge as I tend to not release the buttons until I see the move come out.
Also, it never happens when I do the same thing after a level 3.
I use a 360 controller, if that helps.

EDIT : it never happens when I use the "hold lp+lk, then input forward + hk" trick.
May have the opportunity to record this evening.