• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Steam - Windows Graphics Going Haywire

Sparties

SUPERSOAKER
Reaction score
not sure if this has happened before; this just started happening when my game opened.
efbae1fcd3.png
mind you, i'm on a mac? has this happened before, and if so, is there an easy fix??

Reactions: TheCrankMachine
so far, i've verified the game cache and am currently reinstalling to see if it'll fix.
the graphics on every other game i play are completely fine, so i'm very concerned atm.

edit: reinstalling didn't work.

Last edited:
Thaaaaaat's cool. :^P
You're running the Mac version, rather than running it through Parallels or Wine right?

Hmm. It looks like some sort of interesting bad interaction with your graphics card, reading textures wrong. Did it work before, or is this the first time you've run it?
I know next to nothing about Mac graphics, but I'd ask the standard "you got the latest drivers / latest OS"? :^\

yeah, just the mac port.
i've been playing on the mac ever since the port for it came out, and it was working fine until yesterday.

os and drivers are up to date; i restarted my computer and it's fine now, but i'm still perplexed. was it a graphics card issue? i don't see how, as i ran several other games and they ran like clockwork.

it was some scary shit, tbh; tried playing peacock agaist filia in the training room, and for some strange reason, peacock was turning into filia while filia was turning into peacock.
it was terrifying lmfao

wow that sounds like one of those old NES glitches. Crazy. Welp if it acts up again just tag Mike about it.

i restarted my computer and it's fine now,
Well, I'm glad to hear that... :^P

but i'm still perplexed. was it a graphics card issue? i don't see how, as i ran several other games and they ran like clockwork.
That isn't an indication that SG would work.
Most games send a bunch of textures to the graphics card and leave them there, then use them as needed. Graphics cards are heavily optimized to work this way.
Because there is no way to store all our art already decompressed, SG updates a 1MB texture every frame with newly decompressed art and uses that texture immediately after updating it. (If SG were a 1v1 game, we could store all the necessary art decompressed - barely - on a 4GB graphics card.)
VERY few games work the way SG does. In fact, I don't know of any others. :^P If the texture update gets out of sync by a frame, or drops frames, which shouldn't happen but is heavily dependent on graphics card drivers etc, then you'll get results like you got because it will be drawing from the correct spot in the texture, but the wrong texture data.
It's sort of one of the downsides of modern high-res 2D. Games like Ori and the Blind Forest don't have to do this because they are storing a relatively small amount of art, in comparison to SG.

oh, i understand now. i'm no techie/programmer/whatever, so i'm glad you were able to clear it up.
thanks for your help, mike.

Reactions: gllt