• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Guilty Gear Thread

so... any Sin videos out there yet? I want to start using that character being new to GG.
My problem is the button layout I was told it is
K S HS
P T D

But for example my problem with this gaming coming from Skullgirls and SF for example is where! exactly does one use punch?!
With Sin is just better using the K and S but... well any tips?

That's just the standard layout, you can always change it. In any case, stick with it for even a few short hours and it will feel fairly natural. I think it is laid out that way because P -> K -> S -> HS is a pretty natural change and often K -> P isn't. Punch is usually faster than kick, for example with Sin, it is 6 start up frames instead of 7 and much faster recovery (8 vs 12) and is plus on block whereas kick is minus.

Here's a Sin video:

I really can't recommend the Team Spooky After Hours channel enough. HD Xrd!

Reactions: Anbec7
default button layout on a stick is
P S D
K HS T

but you can use w/e you want so just customize it.

default button layout on a stick is
P S D
K HS T

but you can use w/e you want so just customize it.
that's the default pad layout on a stick :V

Reactions: Tomo009
that's the default pad layout on a stick :V
Which goes to show you how much time I spent with the game when I picked it up (WHOOPS!)

Since elphelt is a big part of discussion here: FUCK BERRY PINE. IT IS LITERALLY PIN ON CRACK

I like how much a good sport he is about being Potemkin'd or shot out of a cannon

wow leo's epic with that awesome personality X3

Leo's personality really does shine with his dialogue. Also his dub seems pretty good because Jamieson Price does good work.

And this is the first GG game with dialogue subtitles. We've missed out on so much over the years!

Reactions: Gamesandgoodies
so... any Sin videos out there yet? I want to start using that character being new to GG.
My problem is the button layout I was told it is
K S HS
P T D

But for example my problem with this gaming coming from Skullgirls and SF for example is where! exactly does one use punch?!
With Sin is just better using the K and S but... well any tips?
keeponrock.in

Search Sin, get a bunch of JT vs Ogawa, lol.

But keep an eye out, this site is updating constantly with lots of footage.

Reactions: Anbec7 and Spencer
of course the loli bitch would be a stupid fucking character

She's not a loli.
Still stupid as fuck though.

Strong desire to punch her in the face for the same reason.
Sol and Slayer forever.
dumb waifu dress, annoying and lack of tits that's a loli in my book
Her tits are huge though, what the fuck.
Look up what a loli is and come back aight.
You're probably confusing it with lolita, which is a lot less disgusting.

Last edited:
Reactions: agent13
Dem Elph titties tho.

Why am I suddenly thinking of the Erin vs Laura fight?

Anyway, when it comes to GG mains, I'm probably going to stick with Sol. Why? ROCK YOU. That's why.

what
that's crazy
Guilty Gear doesn't even have music references

what
that's crazy
Guilty Gear doesn't even have music references
I seriously hope you're joking.

I'm always serious
just look at my sunglasses
they are the sunglasses of a serious man and his serious cat

Reactions: FenrirHades
I have acquired Guilty Gear, x2.
dpCVukA.jpg

ok that was terrible I'm sorry please don't kill me

ok that was terrible I'm sorry please don't kill me
I'll let you live if you explain why the fuck you bought two.

I bought two, but at least one was the PS3 version and the other was the Limited edition PS4 version. Motherfucker has no business buying two PS3 versions lol.

they're both from limited editions, one of them isn't actually mine :V

I always had an issue picking up GG because of the button scheme being different from streetfighter. But now that ive seen the default arcade configuration, i realize that it is basically streetfighter layout with a couple of changes:

P S H
K T D

The psh is basically the same as streetfighter and sg buttons. P is jab/weak punch, s is strong/medium punch, h is fierce/hard punch.

K is short/weak kick, D is like roundhouse/hard kick with an attitude. The crouched version is a standard streetfighter sweep just like regular, the standing version is the weird one which is a slow overhead.

The other weirdness is that there is no forward/medium kick. It is taunt instead and pretty much useless.

So basically the arcade layout only has 2 differences from streetfighters:

There is no mk button, standing roundhouse is a dust/overhead attack.

I'm only stating this for anyone else that is a stick user that was trying to play using the default console buttons, you might want to think about changing your buttons to what i listed, it is default arcade layout and not that huge a departure from sg's button layout.

You have P and K switched.

Reactions: Dime
Really? Could have swore that i saw "A" configuration on a jap video with it the way i stated... Thats where i got this from in the first place... I guess my eyes were deceiving me.

Can you see any detriment to having the layout the way i stated? (Besides not being able to comfortably play in japan at arcades were i ever to go there)

Cause if there isnt any real difference having the p and k swapped, then I'm just going to leave it like this the way i stated.

However if there is a real detriment to having my buttons this way then i will just go the way that you stated is default. I'd rather make the decision now while i dont have muscle memory for combos and therefor the button layout, fully ingrained.

Trying to change my layout 6 months or more down the line would be a complete and total nightmare.

Dude you make your button layout the way that works best for you. That's the standard layout, not a requirement.

Reactions: FenrirHades
I think the P on bottom K on top is to make chain combos make sense for finger positions. First finger gets punch, second gets kick, third gets slash, etc. It's definitely odd going to that from SF, but it does serve a purpose.

I think the P on bottom K on top is to make chain combos make sense for finger positions. First finger gets punch, second gets kick, third gets slash, etc. It's definitely odd going to that from SF, but it does serve a purpose.

Thats the advice i was looking for :)

@Ktulu Victoria

Ive been playing fighting games for over 20 years. I wasnt asking for advice on whether i should or shouldnt use a custom layout. I was asking for an experienced answer on whether or not the button layout i proposed has any significant considerations/disadvantages to use the custom p on top layout over the default arcade k on top layout.

I know very well that i can use any layout i want to... But that wasnt the question i asked.

@Nap1400

Thanks for that man, i was anticipating something of that nature or maybe one of the fundamental GG 2 or 3 button mechanics to maybe be easier with the k on top layout.

But in the scenario you describe its very weird for me to do the pks chains the way you described, whereas its very easy for me to do the pks chains with the p on top layout since the chain follows the marvel chain system that way :)

Thanks for the advice guys. Youve both been helpful in me determining which button layout is right for me.

I would suggest any beginning gg players that have a long streetfighter history to try the p on top layout as well and see if it works for you.

Really? Could have swore that i saw "A" configuration on a jap video with it the way i stated... Thats where i got this from in the first place... I guess my eyes were deceiving me.

Can you see any detriment to having the layout the way i stated? (Besides not being able to comfortably play in japan at arcades were i ever to go there)

Cause if there isnt any real difference having the p and k swapped, then I'm just going to leave it like this the way i stated.

However if there is a real detriment to having my buttons this way then i will just go the way that you stated is default. I'd rather make the decision now while i dont have muscle memory for combos and therefor the button layout, fully ingrained.

Trying to change my layout 6 months or more down the line would be a complete and total nightmare.
The "default" chain sequence in GG is

P > K > S > H > D

Button priority goes

D > P > K > S > H

It is pretty much more comfortable in every way to leave it as the default

KSH
PRD

This way you have one finger for each important button without having to move at all.

As a SFIV/SG player, the control layout was odd, but once you play with it, it is far more natural.

I actually started by switching P and K, but it is super unintuitive due to what chains and what doesn't.

Jab>short>strong>fierce (KPSH in gg) is a marvel chain and that chain feels very intuitive to me in the p on top formation and isnt available in the k on top formation.

Using the k on top formation i cant chain that way since p chains to k.

Also, using the p on top formation i can chain from k to s or h or d just like in versus games.

I can only see upsides to the p on top layout. The chain that uses the sg buttons lk,lp isnt a chain i have used since oldschool streetfighter games, and even then it was short jab short, not short jab strong. The short jab strong is a chain ive never used and i dont see any reason to learn it in gg when jab short strong chain is readily available with p on top formation.