• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Guilty Gear Thread

When the opponent is right in front of me,
forward + H-Slash
Right?

Right, but one of the option selects complained about in both the Sirlin and MikeZ article is that forward + H-Slash (6HS) is not optimal.

What you should be doing is 6HS+K/S. This will ensure that if you don't get the throw, you'll do a much faster move than the HS that will come out and almost certainly get punished.

They go through this in the tutorial which is one of the better tutorials I've ever gone through.

Xrd's practice modes (especially mission, where I'm still practicing) are probably the best I've ever seen in a fighting game barring training mode lacking some of Skullgirl's training mode features.

The challenge mode feels more relevant too. A lot of their combos are somewhat realistic and tells certain details that I would've never got on my own (Faust's divekick guard cancel and how the hell you control Eddie)

Right, but one of the option selects complained about in both the Sirlin and MikeZ article is that forward + H-Slash (6HS) is not optimal.

What you should be doing is 6HS+K/S. This will ensure that if you don't get the throw, you'll do a much faster move than the HS that will come out and almost certainly get punished.

They go through this in the tutorial which is one of the better tutorials I've ever gone through.

O.k, I think I got the hang of ground grabs now n_n but, do air grabs work the same way or is there something else there? (trying to learn Anji at the moment and out of all the grabs he has that one looks to be the most useful.)

I really think Shin is being a tad unfair. Sirlin is addressing people who may not know what he's talking about, but his points are clear and well articulated.

If by "clear and well articulated" you mean what he wrote was legible with appropriate punctuation, then yes, it was. Otherwise the evolution of Guilty Gear section of the article was mostly uninformative drivel designed to say Accent Core was bad and that Xrd is a step in the right direction. Then he goes on to ramble on about how much of a problem Option Selects are only to then downplay all of it in the end saying the gameplay in Xrd is most solid in the series for a while but he couldn't find one good thing about the AC games. Okay...sure.

Last edited:
*combo vid*
This reminds me that conversations of past GG games usually center on #R and AC(+R).

So how good was Slash? I never played it because it never got a US release. All I know about it is was that Ky was supposedly really good and Eddie was mid-tier.

Hi I am trying to get in to GGxrd any tips for someone new to the series

The most important thing I can think of, is to do the tutorial, the missions then pick a character and do their challenges.

Don't get stuck on the more advanced stuff just yet, get used to the system mechanics and a character you want to play and figure the other stuff out in your own time as you feel ready.

Reactions: skumbag
The most important thing I can think of, is to do the tutorial, the missions then pick a character and do their challenges.

Don't get stuck on the more advanced stuff just yet, get used to the system mechanics and a character you want to play and figure the other stuff out in your own time as you feel ready.
thank you

Hi. My big "breakthrough" in GG was when I realized how strong knockdown was. Example: I play Bedman. A knockdown with Task B or Task C gives you not only a knockdown but also access to those DV symbols. Now, you have pressure options on their wakeup...raw Task A, DV Task B/C (YRC if you have the meter).
What characters do you play? Most characters have good pressure options.
Edit: Also, OTG's are not strong in this game. They deal negligible damage and allow the opponent to tech. Outside of specific setups, OTG's usually ruin any chance of oki setup and basically reset you to neutral.

Last edited:
Hi. My big "breakthrough" in GG was when I realized how strong knockdown was. Example: I play Bedman. A knockdown with Task B or Task C gives you not only a knockdown but also access to those DV symbols. Now, you have pressure options on their wakeup...raw Task A, DV Task B/C (YRC if you have the meter).
What characters do you play? Most characters have good pressure options.
Edit: Also, OTG's are not strong in this game. They deal negligible damage and allow the opponent to tech. Outside of specific setups, OTG's usually ruin any chance of oki setup and basically reset you to neutral.

I want to get it good with I_NO

I want to get it good with I_NO
You are picking a difficult road, even in Xrd.

i-No relies heavily on character specific combo routes to turn her hits into the best knockdowns she can so she can run her really powerful set play.

Neutral against some characters in Xrd is a bit of a struggle too, not as powerful at neutral as she once was.

I-No + YRC = dumb though

Reactions: skumbag
Does anyone know how to approach Sin?

He hits far, deals insane damage, that calories bar will never go down (in the hands of a good player), j.HS, Beak Driver has hitboxes behind his back, he can rekka his DPs to be safe, most parts of his combos are burst safe, fast long reach pokes, pogo mixups, corner carries, slide goes under projectiles into full combos etc. /rant

And no, I'm not saying he's strong, I actually feel he's okay, but he seems to excel in all the areas Ky is good at. I just want to find a better solution than to try Blitz Shield everything he does.

I think that Sin needs to be constantly kept on the defensive. He seems to take more damage than usual, his specials don't have the best startup and he doesn't have many good reversals. Also, he loses a ton of his options in the air, and that j.HS you fear can't be comboed out of easily. If you can keep him off of the ground, he's gonna have a bad time.

He seems to take more damage than usual

On that note, he has roughly as much effective health as I-No or Ramathal. A bit below average but nowhere near as squishy as Milia or Chipp.

You know I went to all this trouble to calculate the 'Effective Health' of everybody in the cast. I may as well share it

Potemkin 657
Leo 618
Slayer 613
Bedman 610
Ky 590
Sol 589
May 582
Faust 578
Elphelt 578
Venom 571
I-No 555
Sin 555
Axl 555
Ramathal 555
Zato 530
Milia 506
Chipp 486

Keep in mind, this is assuming that you get maximum use out of your Guts which isn't always the case. So in some situations this list is a bit misleading but its still useful information in a general sense.

Last edited:
According to the Dustloop wiki, Sin takes about 1.04 times base damage from attacks. His guts rating is also 1, which means that guts isn't as powerful for him as it is for characters like Chipp, who has a guts rating of 5.

All these secret numbers!

What's "good" damage in this game? I know it is hard to put a number on it due to the variations in character health, but is there some type of standard?

It depends on your character and what starter you use. I would say ~under 90 and get oki off of a 2K starter is good, ~160 off of a non-prorated optimal combo starter is good. 115ish if you roman cancel off a throw, 200 with roman cancel off an optimal starter. Something like that. Keep in mind that Chipp does low overall damage but has gross mixups for days, and that Potemkin does fucktons of damage but needs to work real hard to get in and do grappler mixups.

What do I do with Potemkin under pressure?

backdash potbuster, but if you're playing against i-no you say gg

Trishula has ludicrous amounts of upper-body invuln and tanks projectiles like they were nothing, though it has crap range. ICPM can surprise people who are playing the long range game (it can get over DI Tyrant Rave and hit Sol from almost full screen) and can be YRC'd for a semi-airdash effect. FDB is great against projectile spammers, as getting hit with a projectile during startup causes Pot to create a gigantic wave that moves slowly, covers a giant area and eats other projectiles. As agent stated, backdash into Pot Buster is good if the opponent likes to stay grounded during pressure strings. Slide Head hits everything that's on the ground and knocks down for longer than normal, so if you can find a spot to fit it in, you may be able to shift the momentum in your favor.

Instant block a lot. Become really good at blocking and IBing. If you can get a lot of game knowledge about when your opponent is minus and where you can make them even more minus with IB, it can open up more opportunities to punish with Pot Buster, or try mash out of pressure after a negative normal with 5P or 2P. Alternately try use FD to push them out on block, and then start using his good pokes at range. Look out for spots in pressure where you can safely jump out.

Does anyone know how to approach Sin?

He hits far, deals insane damage, that calories bar will never go down (in the hands of a good player), j.HS, Beak Driver has hitboxes behind his back, he can rekka his DPs to be safe, most parts of his combos are burst safe, fast long reach pokes, pogo mixups, corner carries, slide goes under projectiles into full combos etc. /rant

And no, I'm not saying he's strong, I actually feel he's okay, but he seems to excel in all the areas Ky is good at. I just want to find a better solution than to try Blitz Shield everything he does.
If you play neutral long enough his food bar WILL go down. j.HS is ok but he can't really combo from it reliably. Jump over beak driver. His DP hitbox is a joke. His only overheads are either jumping moves or his slow ass bull bash. He can be hit out of slide.

He has a decent ground game but his air game is pretty bad. Just find smart ways to approach and tire his food meter out and don't let him eat. If you get in on him it should be a wrap.

Reactions: Mwisk
Well, actually, I feel like I'm sorta slowing down learning things on my own, may as well just ask for some answers here.

I'm still having some trouble getting Pot Buster consistently on it's own, having a really hard time doing backdash into it (I think it's actually cause the directionals on PS4 pad are longer, and since I skirt on the edge of the directional to not hit too many buttons since I have fat fingers, I actually end up trying to hit the negative space between the directionals). For the moment, are there any other strats on successfully getting out of rushdown pressure, or is that it? What should my advancing strategy be after a Slidehead knockdown? I usually do the runstop-type thing and then jump forward. Can I use his jumping double fist move? I can't find any good moments to use it. Last question; I read somewhere that I should get used to doing 6K into his rush punch, but I can't figure out how to actually get the one move to cancel into the other.

Instant block a lot.
What's the frames for IB? Like, how many frames do I have to hit back before the hit to do it?

Look out for spots in pressure where you can safely jump out.
Any examples of some not-super-obvious moves that I can get out of?

Keep in mind that Chipp does low overall damage but has gross mixups for days, and that Potemkin does fucktons of damage but needs to work real hard to get in and do grappler mixups.
Xrd Chipp? Without meter maybe, but his new air super gives him absurd damage AND hard knockdown from any confirm if he does it right.

I think like 160 from a 2K starter? From an optimal starter you are looking over 200 + knockdown.

What should my advancing strategy be after a Slidehead knockdown? I usually do the runstop-type thing and then jump forward. Can I use his jumping double fist move? I can't find any good moments to use it. Last question; I read somewhere that I should get used to doing 6K into his rush punch, but I can't figure out how to actually get the one move to cancel into the other.

After slidehead, you can either do Hammerfall break->jump-in, you can also do instant Tiger Knee ICPM for otg and you'll recover in their face. Megafist is just an annoying overhead that avoids things, forward version is -4, back version is +4. It's not a move to use a lot due to its negativity and 24 frame startup, but it'll catch people out. Also you can cancel his 6K into Hammerfal by doing 6K 4, then canceling 6K late after it hits.

What's the frames for IB? Like, how many frames do I have to hit back before the hit to do it?

I think I read somewhere you gotta hit back 7 frames within being hit by the move to IB it, and IB reduces your blockstun by 3 frames i think?

Any examples of some not-super-obvious moves that I can get out of?

Can't think of anything not-super-obvious off the top of my head, it's a case-by-case basis to me, just pay attention to how your opponent uses their gatling strings and experiment I guess.

After slidehead, you can either do Hammerfall break->jump-in, you can also do instant Tiger Knee ICPM for otg and you'll recover in their face. Megafist is just an annoying overhead that avoids things, forward version is -4, back version is +4. It's not a move to use a lot due to its negativity and 24 frame startup, but it'll catch people out. Also you can cancel his 6K into Hammerfal by doing 6K 4, then canceling 6K late after it hits.

I think I read somewhere you gotta hit back 7 frames within being hit by the move to IB it, and IB reduces your blockstun by 3 frames i think?

Can't think of anything not-super-obvious off the top of my head, it's a case-by-case basis to me, just pay attention to how your opponent uses their gatling strings and experiment I guess.
Yeah I believe instant block is a 7 frame window, the amount it reduces depends on attack level though. 3 is the average I think? So lvl 3 (2 if you are one of those people that start at 0)

I mostly see FAB go for the ICPM OTG in Xrd @Zidiane but hammerfall - break as you are doing is the classic and should get you scary grappler oki from a lot of situations.

So I'd say mostly ICPM when far away, hammerfall - break when close.

Pot can instant block > Pot buster a lot of things that are otherwise unpunishable. Performing pressure on Pot can actually be pretty scary if they know how to instant block. You would be surprised how much of the pressure in this game is actually not as tight as it looks.

This might help. Looks like flick is your best friend vs I-No.

Edit: Pot stuff at 9:30

Last edited:

Instant Block until you have meter for Blitz Shield or Dead Angle, basically.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Learning Venom is fun.

I usually don't go for set-up characters, but I really dig this dudes design and gameplay. He has a very strong Okizeme game, and his combo strings are really cool. I recently got to practice my air dash cancels, and it is showing that I am getting much better at them (which is necessary for characters like Venom.)

Last edited:

Some clash movie goodness

My brain refuses to acknowledge the sheer unfathomable badassery that is this video.

Shutting Down...

HYPE.exe has stopped working*

That's a pretty good clash vid. However, I think that there are some better ones out there. Like this one:

my first time playing GGXrd (and a GG for the first time in years) I triggered danger time twice within the same match

0/10 this is bullshit

my first time playing GGXrd (and a GG for the first time in years) I triggered danger time twice within the same match

0/10 this is bullshit
How do you even trigger that? Someone pulled that on me last night and I just sat there.

How do you even trigger that? Someone pulled that on me last night and I just sat there.
It happens randomly when a clash occurs.