• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Guilty Gear Thread

my first time playing GGXrd (and a GG for the first time in years) I triggered danger time twice within the same match

0/10 this is bullshit

I've about 200 games online. It happened twice to me in back to back matches, and I haven't seen it before or since. RNG is a bizarre thing.

Leo is a dumb, dumb character. I'm going to just buckle down and spend a day learning to block him (it feels similar to people that pick Eddie in Tekken and mash, mash, mash).

Reactions: agent13
Leo is a dumb, dumb character. I'm going to just buckle down and spend a day learning to block him (it feels similar to people that pick Eddie in Tekken and mash, mash, mash).
Hold backwards or forwards and press the HS button to throw.

Reactions: Spencer
Yeah, I know he's a 'noob stomper'.

He's just the first character that I'm actually going to have to lab out and see what his block string looks like.

I don't think he's OP (I'd rank Millia, Sol, Ky, and Zato above him)... he's just really fucking annoying.

I feel your pain, Spencer. It's hard to get out when he's pressuring me. I either try to poke him out of it or throw, which is more risky since you have to be at close range.

I actually just got this game he's the first one I played. I have no knowledge on stance characters so don't feel too bad over it.

i don't have a problem with leo since vcl beats out the low, parry and overhead. At worst he just knocks me down.

The secret to Leo is that he has no mixup outside stance, so he obviously wants to get into stance. Doing so is difficult though, because there is always a large gap.

Whenever Leo goes to reset pressure, you can throw him, he uses 6HS? throw it before it hits, he uses 236HS? throw it before it hits, he uses 236S? throw punish, he uses S sonic boom? He's at like -4 to -8. If he tries to do 5[HS] or 6[HS] he is straight up punishable by most characters before he can even do a stance counter.

His best pressure tool is 6K because it is throw invincible and + on block, but not so + you can't challenge him with a DP or somesuch. He will also not be able to stay in on you if you FD and he is doing 6K strings, they don't move forward as far as the much more risky 6HS and 236HS.

This morning before work, I played some games with a friend online and holy garbage, the online GUI is the worst in any fighting game I've ever played. It shouldn't take a lot of effort to make a private lobby with your friend, especially in comparison to other fighting games by Arc System Works.

@Tomo009

Yeah, I don't disagree with you. I was getting a ton of mileage out of throws, and I was just mashing 6HS like a mad person.

Like I said, I don't think he's over the top by any means. He's just super annoying because without digging in a little deeper, you have zero idea when he's done. I couldn't tell the difference between a true block string and not. When Millia is finished, it is clear. When Chip is finished, it is clear. But, it seems as if Leo can run an unsafe blockstring as long as I'd let him do it (which as it turns out is a long time). He seems like the kind of champ that you go in with and do well vs new players.

Just frustrating is all. He's the first character I have to actually "learn" outside of my main.

I was mostly just harmlessly venting... now if I were to say anything about Ram for instance... it'd be nothing but legit bitching, so I don't :P

This morning before work, I played some games with a friend online and holy garbage, the online GUI is the worst in any fighting game I've ever played. It shouldn't take a lot of effort to make a private lobby with your friend, especially in comparison to other fighting games by Arc System Works.

Hey, at least it's better than Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

BTW, I have a question... How much would change the game if the unblockables were removed?

didn't you already ask that with the general consensus being "not much"

Is Potemkin really that bad? If so, is FAB just a god playing a game with mere mortals? His game makes Pot look top tier.

From what I understand, yes. Kind of reminds me of Kuroda playing Q; only he understands him.

Potemkin is pretty lacking yes, but he is still a grappler. If Pot can make the right reads he can make his opponent scared. FAB is known for his amazing reads and patient plays, so he can make Pot look terrifying.

Not to say FAB is unbeatable in Japan tho, but still being able to compete with other gods who are using top tiers is insanely impressive.

Potemkin is pretty lacking yes, but he is still a grappler. If Pot can make the right reads he can make his opponent scared. FAB is known for his amazing reads and patient plays, so he can make Pot look terrifying.

Not to say FAB is unbeatable in Japan tho, but still being able to compete with other gods who are using top tiers is insanely impressive.
Don't forget about Consome (why does everyone forget about Consome:(?]

Yeah, I know he's a 'noob stomper'.

He's just the first character that I'm actually going to have to lab out and see what his block string looks like.

I don't think he's OP (I'd rank Millia, Sol, Ky, and Zato above him)... he's just really fucking annoying.

During back-turned, his options are limited. Block low, then high w/ faultless defense (Standing Low into overhead is pretty common). If you sniff his unblockable, you'll need to get airborn. You can't jump during faultless, so get used to FDing just as you leave the ground.

If you guys adopt anything from that article, don't let it be the author's raging fetish for throws. "One-button throws are the core mechanic of Guilty Gear" my ass. If a type of attack can count as the game's core mechanic, wouldn't it instead be... regular hits? Some throws in GG don't even throw in the right direction, the developers can't see them as THAT important.

If any single action is the core mechanic of the Guilty Gear series, it would be the Roman Cancel.

Reactions: FenrirHades
A late teaser for the story mode (potential spoiler):

tumblr_ni69lkRDNd1rftvj7o1_1280.png

tumblr_ni69lkRDNd1rftvj7o2_1280.png

tumblr_ni69lkRDNd1rftvj7o3_1280.png

tumblr_ni69lkRDNd1rftvj7o4_1280.png
tumblr_ni69lkRDNd1rftvj7o5_1280.png

tumblr_ni69lkRDNd1rftvj7o6_1280.png

tumblr_ni69lkRDNd1rftvj7o7_1280.png

tumblr_ni69lkRDNd1rftvj7o8_1280.png

tumblr_ni69lkRDNd1rftvj7o9_1280.png

http://shadowdraygon.tumblr.com/tagged/holy-zen

So, if this game got an update, and you could add in any 6 characters, who would they be?

I would add Robo Ky, Order Sol, President Gabriel, Dizzy, Testament, and a new character.

(Note: I am approaching this in a manner that Arc would. I think that Eddie would be a great addition too.)
Thoughts? Opinions? DSP?

well Eddie is kinda there
he's just Zato now
and Zato isn't Zato without Eddie
and vice versa

when's Zappa

well Eddie is kinda there
he's just Zato now
and Zato isn't Zato without Eddie
and vice versa

when's Zappa
Tomorrow, at 19:71 PA.

So, if this game got an update, and you could add in any 6 characters, who would they be?

Definitely Bridget, hes my 1st choice. Then after that, I would love to see any theses but it is unlikely to happen:

Fanny, Anyone of these guys

I'm kinda expecting Anji, Baiken, and Dr. Paradigm if they release a new version soon.

Well.........Consider that both Johnny and Dizzy have in-game models, so....I can assume those two are the frst to get added. After that, I'd personally like to see Testiment back. Gabriel looks like he'd make a competent character, and everyone seems to love Baiken, so why the hell not, eh? Also, Order Sol ain't coming back, bud.

I also think some new version of Justice is coming, too, prolly just cause of Story mode.

Dizzy, Justice. Not really caring for others so it can be fan-favourites like Baiken, Testament and Johnny. Jam can go die in hell.

the collective shouts will be heard through the ages
EAT SHIT BERRY PINE

i'm still hoping that they follow through on Robo Ky being based on XX Ky and not the soft and silky Ky we have now
just so they can make jokes about it

I currently play Sin, and man, I run into tons of Sols and Millias. It's crazy, sometimes I feel the game is a bit unbalanced character-wise, but whatever, beating ppl up with flagpoles, amirite?

Looks like 1.1 is addressing some of the issues that people had.

- Shortening the window to get a PRC is effectively a YRC nerf unless you commit (depending on how short that window is of course).

- Making execution easier (extra buffer time and easier supers/specials) is a direct issue Mr. Z had with the game.

- Looks like YRC OS took a nerf too which I think everyone wanted.

- Looks like buffs on the things that need buffs and nerfs on the things that need nerfs.

All in all, I think the patch looks smart so far. Hopefully this game will be a tiny bit less Ram and Faust heavy. I'm loving the Zato changes (hopefully makes him a tiny bit less oppressive. I don't love I-No changes since they seem to be buffs and every week I-No seems to move up a little bit higher on the tier lists, but we'll see on those. And my dear, sweet Bedman changes *drool*.

Also dat blitz shield change.

Hold that shit Ram's swords, Little Faust, etc. etc.

A bit more thoughts/speculation on Bedman since he's my main.

I'm guessing we'll be able to combo from c.HS. I imagine our punish from 1HS will remain unchanged, but with JC, a trajectory change on hit, and a proration, that we'll be able to combo from 2/3HS which will add a little bit of teeth to them.

6HS getting throw invulnerability will add a nice cross-up to our Oki game. Right now, if you 6HS during Oki... you're getting thrown. Hell, 6HS in general is throw bait, so that is a very nice change.

Hemi Jack being faster, more safe, and giving a more damaging combo(?) means Hemi Jack will be used more. Right now, unless you have a plan, Bed holds onto meter for RCs.

Forward Dash changes are nice. If you 'parry' something from full screen, you're actually likely to get punished. Hopefully these changes are a net buff for the rare situation when you do land a dash parry.

Coupled with smart nerfs on the S and A tiers, I think Bedman has a decent chance of being pretty good in 1.1

Reactions: Ktulu
Any idea what the bit about Potemkin's "Homing Dash added" is about?

Any idea what the bit about Potemkin's "Homing Dash added" is about?

I'm guessing he didn't have one?

Homing dash is when you push forward after a dust attack. It usually lets you dash forward so you can do some wall bounce combos in the corner.

I'm guessing Pot didn't have one since he doesn't have a dash in game. Bedman's dash (and thus his homing dash) isn't cancelable since it is a parry rather than real dash, so they gave him a homing dash option too by letting you cancel it.

Reactions: Agent York