• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Hard Rock/Metal Music Recommendations

snip
Basically people who listen to Post-Hardcore and Metalcore and stuff have decided to hijack the name hardcore over the past few years, despite hardcore referring to hardcore punk since the early 80s. Sort of like how the genre name Emo was hijacked

If you didn't absolutely despise Woods, I'd suggest checking out their other stuff too. They released 5 albums the band sounded quite different on each release; they started off with a melodic black metal sound, and slowly evolved into the sound of the song that I linked which was off their last album.

Type O is kind of the same in the sense that each release was different, but their album Bloody Kisses was sort of a precursor to everything they'd eventually do. I'd suggest either the album October Rust, or World Coming Down. The song I linked was off of October Rust and most of it has a similar feel, while World Coming Down is A LOT more gloom and doom (pun intended) with slow chuggy riffs. But, World Coming Down is my favorite album by them.

Unfortunately, both band's vocalist's are dead :( Peter Steele of Type O died in 2010, and David Gold of Woods died in 2011 :/

Glad that you enjoyed them :)

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded, I have like...15 new bands now. And they're even more obscure than normal, which is great. That's probably more than 30 albums in total, which is insane. Keep 'em comin' if you have more, but you guys rock.

Might want to check out Riverside if you haven't. I don't know how I'd define it by genre, but it's pretty cool.

Might want to check out Riverside if you haven't. I don't know how I'd define it by genre, but it's pretty cool.
Already have Riverside, they're definitely more Porcupine Tree like, except even more ambient. Less like Porcupine Tree's Halo or Shallow and more like...Arriving Somewhere But Not Here or Gravity Eyelids.