• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How do I learn the timing?

Raptor1138

The Ambitious Fool
Reaction score
Steam
Raptor1138
XBL
NESG Raptor1138
Painwheel Filia Cerebella
I just got Skullgirls and have spent the 26 hours of playtime since then trying to learn basic combos, and so far my biggest problem is with timing. For example, I'm trying to combo Cerebella's Excellabella into Diamond Dynamo, and since the EB animation takes so much time, I have no idea when to do the input for the DD and I never get it. Another example is that I'm having constant trouble hitting an enemy with Filia's cr.LK in the middle of a combo after the enemy has fallen down. My question is, how can I learn the timing of moves so that I never have a problem getting them out int he middle of a combo? Note that this is basically my first fighting game ever.

I just got Skullgirls and have spent the 26 hours of playtime since then trying to learn basic combos, and so far my biggest problem is with timing. For example, I'm trying to combo Cerebella's Excellabella into Diamond Dynamo, and since the EB animation takes so much time, I have no idea when to do the input for the DD and I never get it. Another example is that I'm having constant trouble hitting an enemy with Filia's cr.LK in the middle of a combo after the enemy has fallen down. My question is, how can I learn the timing of moves so that I never have a problem getting them out int he middle of a combo? Note that this is basically my first fighting game ever.
Just mash out of Exellebella, or, when Cerebella actually throws the opponent at her last hit. In the corner, ALL of you have to do is, press c.LK and continue your combo. If the opponent has fallen, it's 100% certain you will get your combo out, so just go ahead. (Just make sure to hit them before they get up) The timing for Skullgirls is some of the most lenient I've ever had the pleasure of playing. If you want, I can help you, my Steam is under my Avatar to the left.

Ok thanks a lot for the specifics but I'm also kind of wondering in general how to learn the timing of moves.

Ok thanks a lot for the specifics but I'm also kind of wondering in general how to learn the timing of moves.
Keep repeating them over and over while observing very closely, eventually you'll get more and more used to it until the point where you barely even remember the actual timing because it's pretty much become second nature. Let me tell you there was some timing I thought I'd never get down.

A lot of the moves can just be done, there's not really any timing, as long as you don't do them SUUUUUUUUUPER slowly or something. I can't really explain in fine detail through text, but just practice in Training Mode. Learn the timing of the moves and how they chain with others.

I recommend listening to the sounds. Cerecoptor has the propellor sounds then a lower pitch for when it hits the opponent away. It's also helped me with getting Painwheel flight cancel combos more consistently.

One thing I should add that messed me up at first, watch the characters. It's easy to try to watch the combo counter or controller when trying to learn timing but the animations are way more important.

Handy thing to keep in the back of your mind if you're anything like me and tend to watch less substantial cues.