• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How many combos should I learn to start?

Pencilwing

Reaction score
Steam
crowscry
Parasoul Squigly Big Band
I've started playing skullgirls 3 days ago and I've been researching non-stop about the meta since it's my first fighting game too.

I'm "maining" Parasoul, and I feel pretty comfortable with her, I've learned a 16 move combo (+ blockbuster) which i can usually land when I get a hit.

How many should I learn as a beginner, since I'm guessing not all combos work for every situation?

(Also I'm really bad at detecting resets and blocking accordingly, does anyone have a tip or sth?)

Three, one universal for each character on your team. You can learn more when you're more familiar with the characters, but that should be avoided when you begin.

Thanks a lot! Im trying my combo right now to see if its universal or not

As many as you feel you need to honestly.

It's better to learn to block and pbgc. (Defense is very important in a game that rewards resets) Resets are also just as important as combos and for resets it's best to know a bunch to alternate from so you don't get stale.

but if you must have combos then a bnb and a counter-hit combo are both nice things to have.

Also there are many threads here with combos it's best to start there than to make your own. At least you get a feel for their moves when you use someone else's combo

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad
When I started I learned two combos for each character. One that is easy to confirm and one that I only used to punish unsafe moves.

As for blocking resets, I've found that the best thing you can do to avoid them is to learn as many as you can yourself. Check out the character threads on this forum, and see what everybody else is doing. Once you know the setup, watch for that setup, and you'll know that something is coming.

A super easy example is the fact that damn near every Peacock ever knows that her j. HK gives her enough time to land, jump again, and attempt an air grab. Not all of them will use it, but you should always be aware that it's possible, and you won't be taken off guard as much. If you didn't know she could do that, you're probably going to get air grabbed a few times.

It also helps to start blocking as soon as you get hit. If they screw up, you'll be in much less pain, and you don't have to worry about getting hit before you were ready to start defending. I have a friend who struggles with this. He never blocks while he's being combo'd, so any time I screw up, I just get to keep going until he dies, and it counts as a reset, so I get damage scaling and IPS restrictions back.

One per character you use. Just something that'll work on everyone. You can organically expand after that into more in-depth combos. For now, keep it simple.