• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How much do we have to pay for a good boss?

PixelHedgehog

The SG n00b
Reaction score
Steam
PixelHedgehog
PSN
PixelKhaos
XBL
PixelHedgehog
Eliza Squigly
I can't be the only person that thinks the Marie fight is kiiiiiiiiiiiinda awful, right? Or... do I just suck?

I can't be the only person that thinks the Marie fight is kiiiiiiiiiiiinda awful, right? Or... do I just suck?
No. Marie's just a REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAALLY tough boss.

You're dealing with an age-old fighting game sickness known as SNK Boss Syndrome. The solution is to play the game on easy mode to get the story mode over with and never fight Marie again.

Reactions: Skullgirlsfanboy
The real good bosses are when you play the competitively designed multiplayer fighting game with another person better than you.

Try Quick Match.
It's more fun than Marie anyways.

What kind of train of thought is this?
"Man, this video game boss is really hard, how much do I have to pay the developers to make the boss easier?"
Wish I could get away with that shit.

Use a team like Parasoul/Painwheel/Peacock, and spam J.HK to victory!

...usually.

What kind of boss would you want, by the way? I can only think of a few characters that would fit the title of boss: The Trinity, Evil Samson, and Brain Drain come to mind.

It would probably cost more then $2 and you would also probably need to do a special favor.

Every minute spent thinking about Marie is a minute not spent playing other people.

Get your priorities straight, OP.
Well, Marie's the only character that can compare to Peacock's coolness level, so I think this is worthwhile!

Have you even played online yet?

Every minute spent thinking about Marie is a minute not spent playing other people.

Get your priorities straight, OP.

Or labbing. Can't forget Training Mode.

The issue here is that Marie isn't exactly a 'good' fighting game boss and doesn't exactly suit the fighting style of Skullgirls.

Of course however, there is a way around the difficulty - although still difficult on nightmare mode - which is to repeatedly use either jhp or jhk (additional move sets can be applied).

Although now, I'd consider using the term 'boss' loosely now for Marie considering that both Eliza's and Fukua's story both end with some form of battle equivalent to that of a 'boss'. Beowulf's and Robofortune's story may have a similar story path, meaning that Marie would now act mostly as a sub-boss

The issue here is that Marie isn't exactly a 'good' fighting game boss and doesn't exactly suit the fighting style of Skullgirls.

Of course however, there is a way around the difficulty - although still difficult on nightmare mode - which is to repeatedly use either jhp or jhk (additional move sets can be applied).

Although now, I'd consider using the term 'boss' loosely now for Marie considering that both Eliza's and Fukua's story both end with some form of battle equivalent to that of a 'boss'. Beowulf's and Robofortune's story may have a similar story path, meaning that Marie would now act mostly as a sub-boss
Wait... Marie's not the boss in Eliza's story!? Thanks for the spoilers! :(
But true, I guess she's not your average boss, huh?

Probaby 300k bucks, and there's still a chance they won't do it anyway

Reactions: d3v
Probaby 300k bucks, and there's still a chance they won't do it anyway
If you don't mind my asking, is this $300 thing a reference? If so, can someone tell me? I love Skullgirls, but man, this game has too many inside jokes!

If you don't mind my asking, is this $300 thing a reference? If so, can someone tell me? I love Skullgirls, but man, this game has too many inside jokes!
It's an actual price estimate.

Skullgirls is, gameplay-wise, a big homage to the Marvel vs. Capcom series. So it shouldn't count as a surprise that the final boss plays just like those in those games.

Marie is like that because they couldn't afford better. We should be thankful she's even there. Hopefully Skullgirls 2 will have a better boss, but in case money is not enough again, I hope they at least get Eliza from the first game.
And all that money given now would be better spent on another DLC, tbh.

There's also that I recall Mike doesn't like unplayable boss characters. If they were to do a boss character that worked like a regular character, then they'd probably go ahead and just make that another regular character.

Everyone saying the real last boss is online: While that is a great response and got an actual laugh out of me I think it'd be pretty clear by now that a large chunk of SG's player base have no interest in competitive play.

Marie is kind of a terrible boss, even by the SNK Boss syndrome style. She's not fun at all on basically any difficulty. I don't think the OP is asking for an easier boss, he's asking for something that's just not a huge chore to play. And most of you know I've been hanging around these parts for a while so obviously I know we're lucky to have her at all, but I think a lot of people have misconstrued what is being complained about here.

I actually rather like Marie as a last boss. I feel that she conditions the player to have to be patient, block, and recognize patterns and areas of danger. She has armor, a defensive wall, a grab, an overhead, and a little bit of Peacock projectile spam in there, which I think is actually a pretty good idea of what to expect from attacks in this game.

I don't feel like any of the regular AI-controlled characters really show you what offensive pressure in this game can be like, or the importance of patience and positioning. How do you get in, and get past all this garbage? How do you attack this thing safely? What is this monstrosity weak to? You're just given a mysterious boss to fight, the old fashioned way. Show sensei what you have learned.

*cough*MyIconDoesNotDepictTheWorstOffendersOfSNKBossSyndromeNope*cough*

Marie is like that because they couldn't afford better. We should be thankful she's even there. Hopefully Skullgirls 2 will have a better boss, but in case money is not enough again, I hope they at least get Eliza from the first game.
And all that money given now would be better spent on another DLC, tbh.
That's guaranteed, Eliza's supposed to be the Skullgirls 2 boss in the first place.

I'm glad we have the Marie boss, as opposed to no boss. However, it's obvious that right now she does feel very barebo-...ehh...she feels very basic. She's mostly just a series of floating objects that hurl more floating objects at you, so she doesn't bring a lot of personality to the table yet. Yeah, the Vs Series bosses were simplistic too, but somehow they were still pretty fun to watch in motion.

If the day ever came when LabZero could finally work on Marie as a playable character, it'd be nice if they could use some of that effort to tweak the Marie boss as well. Her new Playable Form would be a great way to shuffle up her transformations a bit. For example, Stage-1 Marie could become her new Playable Form, Stage-2 could be a slight revamp of her old Stage-1, and Stage-3 could be a powered up version of her Playable Form with some attacks from her old Stage-2&3. With all of those new attacks and animations to show off, she'd look a lot more stylish while she kicked your butt.

But yeah, we know how stacked the odds are against LabZero right now, so issues with the Marie boss are really no big deal. As annoying as she currently is to fight, at least beating her still feels like an accomplishment, and that's cool.

Skullgirls 2 isn't even guaranteed, so this seems to be kind of sketchy statement?
I meant as in, if there is Skullgirls 2, Eliza is a guaranteed boss, sorry.

Everyone saying the real last boss is online: While that is a great response and got an actual laugh out of me I think it'd be pretty clear by now that a large chunk of SG's player base have no interest in competitive play.

Marie is kind of a terrible boss, even by the SNK Boss syndrome style. She's not fun at all on basically any difficulty. I don't think the OP is asking for an easier boss, he's asking for something that's just not a huge chore to play. And most of you know I've been hanging around these parts for a while so obviously I know we're lucky to have her at all, but I think a lot of people have misconstrued what is being complained about here.
The issue is that any boss that plays more like a regular character will most likely be just a regular character, instead of a boss. Mike has already stated that he doesn't like the idea of unplayable bosses (way back when this discussion first popped up on Shoryuken). The Marie that we have now is a sort of compromise that at the same time, still plays homage to the VS series that the game borrows alot from.