• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How to be a good Filia?

FiliaRage

Reaction score
Steam
Keyrin1
PSN
Kelbidrome7
XBL
BlackKnight970
Filia Ms. Fortune Big Band
Hey guys, I was just asking for advice, since I mostly use Ms.Fortune and Big Band (As they are the only ones who I can effectively combo with), I wanted to know how to play a good Filia since she is a good rushdown kinda like Ms.Fortune. What are some good strategies, combos, and just overall gameplay options for a beginner?

Yay, new Filia player! :D

I play Filia quite a lot, as she's on the the second position of my main team. Though Im not too great at the game yet, maybe late beginner or early intermediate.

Filia is a really nice rushdown character, like you said, so make use of that. A lot of her combos can be a little tricky with the timing, but the one that's good for teaching the framework of a lot of her combos would probably be similar to the final one from the Air Combos tutorial.

Usually, when I play, I try to start with jump-ins (j.HP ftw), but usually only against characters that I can easily get close to. With zoning characters like Peacock, or to a lesser extent, Parasoul, I make use of her hairballs in the air to get closer, or to try getting close enough to catch them with a H Ringlet Spike. Opponent keeps jumping? Meet them in the air and throw them, or catch them with Updo/Fenrir. Running away? Use airballs and air dashes. Spamming pokes? Use a sweep or grab them.

With a beginner Filia (or really any character in general), I would advise to stay within your skill range. While attempting a flashy 10k 3 meter counterhit combo right off the bat might seem tempting (if you want to, do so in training mode), a lot of Filia's attacks are very unsafe on block if you drop the combo (sHK and H Hairball being notable offenders). Master shorter, more practical combos, and gradually lengthen and optimize them as you play.

About her supers, Gregor Samson is really, really good for chaining combos off of. Even a simple string like c.LK c.MK s.HP j.LP j.LK j.MK xx Hairball can be chained into Gregor to make for a nice lengthy, damaging combo. It also makes for a really good punish.
Fenrir Drive is my go-to combo ender. I use it a lot more frequently than Gregor, tbh. Outside of the end of combos, Fenrir can also catch unblocking airborne opponents. If it's used facing the corner, it'll keep your opponent there. If the opponent doesn't tech, you can OTG off of it as well.
Tricobezoar is less used on my part (mostly because of me not saving up for it), but it has nice damage (albeit kinda difficult to combo into). A well-timed Updo can get your opponent into the air so you can use Tricobezoar. I also use it to catch any stray gliding Bellas.

Beginner Combo
s.LK s.MK s.HP j.HP j.HK
c.LK c.MK s.HP j.LP j.LP j.LK j.MK xx Hairball

(end with Gregor after Hairball if you want to continue combo)

(intermediate?) Combo (Midscreen)
c.LK c.MK s.HP j.HP j.HK
c.MK s.HP j.MK xx H Hairball ADC j.MP j.HK
s.LK s.MP c.MK xx H Hairball -> Fenrir

~ 6.8k

(intermediate?) Combo (Corner)
s.LK s.MK s.HP j.HP j.HK xx H Hairball ADC -> j.MP
s.LK s.MP c.MK s.HK xx H Hairball
c.LP s.MK s.HK xx H Hairball -> Fenrir

~ 7.4k

Good Luck learning Filia! :PUN:

Last edited:
Yay, new Filia player! :D

Beginner Combo
s.LK s.MK s.HP j.HP> ADC> j lk> j.HK
c.LK c.MK s.HP j.LP j.mp > jmk > H airball > s lp > s mp > s mk > c hp > H hairball

(end with Gregor after Hairball if you want to continue combo)

(intermediate?) Combo (Midscreen)
c.LK c.MK s.HP j.HP ADC> j lk > j.HK
c.MK s.HP j.MK xx H Hairball ADC j.MP j.HK(too finicky so omit the j hk and just do j mp till you land)
s.lp > s lp > s lk(might be finicky so omit the s lk against some characters) s.MP c.MK xx H Hairball -> Fenrir

~ 6.8k

(intermediate?) Combo (Corner)
s.LK s.MK s.HP j.HP j.HK xx H Hairball ADC -> j.MP
s.LK s.MP c.MK s.HK xx H Hairball
c.LP s.MK s.HK xx H Hairball -> Fenrir

~ 7.4k

Good Luck learning Filia! :PUN:

Fixed ALL OF THAT for you @FiliaRage

Reactions: BeachedTeaspoon
Thanks, guys. Filia was actually one of the first characters I tried. I just couldn't get a hang of her as fast as I did with Nadia and Big Band. One thing I enjoy doing is using cross-ups to get through heavy guarding without having to use grabs since they have short range. I'm guessing I can use Hairball (H) if they push block though?

Edit:Typically I go for meterless combos anyway so I can have something I can depend on in most situations, but I do occasionally attempt to end combos with Gregor Samson or Fenrir Dive.

Hey guys, I was just asking for advice, since I mostly use Ms.Fortune and Big Band (As they are the only ones who I can effectively combo with), I wanted to know how to play a good Filia since she is a good rushdown kinda like Ms.Fortune. What are some good strategies, combos, and just overall gameplay options for a beginner?

Study Severine, Duckator, and Winnie. There's a whole mess of Filias out there, but those three created most of what you'll see and what everyone learns from.

If you're watching and don't understand what they're doing, try to ask yourself why they did it and what it got them.

Oh and play Double too.

Last edited:
Pikmario is a good Filia. I hear that name all the time.

This should be your mentality

Rush down etc.

You are going to win by rushing down, but make sure to learn the properties and uses of all her normals, because you will need to use all of them to keep the opponent guessing and handle yourself well at the neutral game. For example, almost all of Fillia's air normals have a use in the neutral game, try to learn as many uses for all of them as you can. Also mindless rushdown will get you killed, so make sure you bait/space/read carefully.

I am dying over hereeeee xD lol great adviceeee