• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How to get out or survive really long combos

Nic Cage

Reaction score
Steam
Nic Cage Flaming Bone Penis
Those combos people do where they keep you in the air until a ton of health is gone. I know when they repeat you get the infinite break or whatever, but by the time that happens they can just get up and start another. What do I do?

Look in some of the other beginner threads. A lot of them have asked the same question and people have chimed in there.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
One thing to look for is when they have an ender that leaves you in the air intentionally

Example: Peacock does s.LP>s.MP>s.MK>j.LP>j.LK.j.HK

Now here, the little birdie will keep you in the air in some cases allowing Pea to land before you do. Some things to look for from her are:

-air throw
-crossunder
-another air attack that combos but causes an intentional burst effect (they would be trying to burst bait you here)

Try to stay calm and keep these things in mind when fighting people to like to take their combos to the air (Val, Pain, Filia, etc.)

As The Rex said, the beginner threads would probably help ya a lot more. Good luck!

When the combo ends, you have to block correctly and then pushblock them to gain some space back.
With the space you create you gotta use that well, which will take lots of practice.
Obviously if you have no idea what you're doing you may lose that space right away, but practice makes perfect.

Also I made this video which might help you understand things a bit better.
Specifically in regards to resets vs combos, which a lot of new player overlook at first!

So happy I can finally post this in a thread.

Oh I remember you too, we just played, I was the Painwheel with Cerecopter.

Your :QCF::MP: (Bang! M) move as Peacock is invincible and the sword knocks back enemies, so you can play your zoning game from a distance.
Peacock has a hard time getting some characters off of her especially if they are above her though.
Things that you can do to help Peacocks zoning game are take some of these starting assists

Double: :DP::MK:OR:HK: (Hornet Bomber M / H)
- This helps push away enemies once they block it, M version is also invincible for a little bit until it starts attacking them, effective as a reversal while you are blocking!

Big Band: [:B:], :F:+:HP: (Brass Knuckles H)
- Incredible armor move with great space control to help push back attackers and knocks them far away on hit, which links into Argus Agony really easily. Check out the player 'McPeanuts' to see how he plays Peacock + Big Band

Cerebella::QCF::HP: (Lock N Load H)
- Difficult to use at first, but good space control and helps counter enemies assists calls, not /as/ effective for getting people right out of your face when they're up close. Check out 'TJGamer' or 'Swiftfox-Dash' (Same person) for his second place Evo 2014 performance playing Peacock and Cerebella

As far as surviving the combo after it's over so that you don't get hit again, taking fully invincible assists that you can call while you block are also helpful, if you can block their attacks well until your assists activates. Examples would be
Double's :DP::HK: (Hornet Bomber L)
Filia's:DP::HP: (Updo H)
Parasoul's [:D:], :U:+:HK: (Napalm Pillar)
Big Band's :DP::LK: (Beat Extend L)

Last edited:
When the combo ends, you have to block correctly and then pushblock them to gain some space back.
With the space you create you gotta use that well, which will take lots of practice.
Obviously if you have no idea what you're doing you may lose that space right away, but practice makes perfect.

Also I made this video which might help you understand things a bit better.
Specifically in regards to resets vs combos, which a lot of new player overlook at first!

So happy I can finally post this in a thread.

Oh I remember you too, we just played, I was the Painwheel with Cerecopter

We played? I never notice peoples names :P
Thanks for the video! I just played a valenitine and got out of her combos. Still lost but I think I did a lot better. Or maybe it's because I wasn't peacock. I'm hoping to do a lot better after I upgrade from a ps3 controller. It kills my thumbs :(

Reactions: skull person
We played? I never notice peoples names :P
Thanks for the video! I just played a valenitine and got out of her combos. Still lost but I think I did a lot better. Or maybe it's because I wasn't peacock. I'm hoping to do a lot better after I upgrade from a ps3 controller. It kills my thumbs :(
I just edited my post with some more information that might help you specifically, refresh the page and look over it, a lot of it is mainly for Peacock but some helpful advice for sure.
Also Skullgirls Encore was won with a PS4 controller, and Injustice! They're very viable but it might be hard on the hands at first.

I just edited my post with some more information that might help you specifically, refresh the page and look over it.
Also Skullgirls Encore was won with a PS4 controller, and Injustice! They're very viable but it might be hard on the hands at first.
Yer muh new best frend! :DDD
I just have baby like thumbs. Very soft to the touch.
Thanks for the character specific tips. I only really play Peacock cuz I think she's silly. Who's a good character to play when the time comes for me to want to start winning?

Peacock is a good character she's just difficult at first because she needs really good spacing against good players.
I'd recommend a more beginner friendly character first until you learn the game more.
Fortune, Cerebella, Valentine, Parasoul, Big Band, Filia, are better picks for starting off.

edit: (Forgot about Fukua, she's really easy too, she's hidden to the right of Big Band on the character selection screen.)

I'd say pick two and practice using your assists, you'll like defending assists that are invincible as a new player just don't rely on them too much!

My favorite characters to teach new players are definitely Val, Para, and Bella.

Fukua is nice for learning how to combo, if you have trouble with that, at least IMO.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'm starting to win a game every once in a while. (or at least not losing as badly)
If any wants to add me on steam I'd greatly appreciate it :)