• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Big Band I think SSJ is much stronger than it should be

KuroOneHalf

Artist & summer addict
Reaction score
Steam
Kuroonehalf
Eliza Filia Cerebella
Once every few days I feel like making this thread but end up procrastinating on it. No more. As the title says, I find BB's Supersonic Jazz to be much too powerful. edit: More specifically in crossup situations.

It's not a complex issue: having such a huge hitbox, doing such good damage, being autocorrectable, being unblockable post flash, and allowing to follow up into a second SSJ is just too much. It's essentially the best panic button in the game, beating out old Dynamo by a fair bit. The two main aspects that bother me are that it autocorrects and that you can't block it post flash, and I would suggest one of them to be removed (preferably the latter). Too many times to count now I've found myself in a situation where I get a good cross up only to be immediately interrupted by the opponent mashing SSJ and have the entirety of it land on my character. Even if you cross up and hold back, the unblockable part will assure it lands. I hate that I keep losing these situations because of this move's properties when I feel I've outplayed the opponent.

I could be missing something, and I've been known to jump to conclusions in the past, but this one I've yet to hear any sort of justifying argument for it. Everyone just seems to go, yeah I guess it's kinda strong. Please explain to me how it's a fair move and why this nerf shouldn't be applied.

Last edited:
Reactions: zarkingphoton
play beta and you have your solution.

If big band has undizzy and he mashes you can block it post flash.

Baiting works but normally the smart option is what people don't want to do so eh.

Hm, could you elaborate on this undizzy thing? I don't play the beta often so I'm not totally up to par with how he behaves there (though I don't recall major changes related to this in patch notes) or what these undizzy changes entail.

While baiting is an option, it sort of dodges the issue. You're forced to rule out the option of jumping over the opponent when he has 1+ meter, and it makes being cornered by him harder than it maybe should be.

Or addressing the question the other way around, why should SSJ be unblockable post flash? Is there a situation where it's good that that is the case?

I'll try to play on the beta for the next few days and see if I can catch and record some of the type of scenarios I'm talking about, in case it might be unclear to some. I wonder if it's just me. :\

ps: Just to be clear, I really only have an issue with SSJ in crossup situations. I think it's fine otherwise.

• Drama (AKA undizzy) received the following changes:
    • Using a ground tech now removes 50% of the Drama from the defending character, down from 100%.

• Outside of a combo, Drama now decreases at a progressively slower rates as Drama builds above 150.

• When the opponent has any amount of Drama, the super flash from level 1 Blockbusters will no longer force hit stop on the defending character. This makes many Blockbusters that are unblockable after the flash blockable on reaction when used for a reset, as long as the opponent has not committed to any other action (mashing). Level 3 and above Blockbusters are not affected by this change.
From: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wHJL0yIvVKcbzO5lEivR6sCdusB0tr8goDSuRO-4w7k

Also since your problem is that they react to your crossup this change may not even help you since you seem to want to press a button and a lot of supers are like this anyway just ssj is gigantic but hey empty jumps exist jumping over then blocking the other way is a thing. ssj is incredibly punishable if you know how to bait it.

EDIT: The second you learn to bait ssj is the same time you'll get like 10-11k ch punishes on him because he's so large you can get all the damage you want.

Last edited:
Step 1: get frame advantage on BB.
Step 2: use frame advantage to hit BB with a mixup.
Step 3: purposefully drop your combo and watch SSJ come out while you are blocking.
Step 4: punish with your combo of choice which should kill him or come close.

Now hes dead or near dead and down a meter.

Problems? Your unwillingness to drop a combo to bait SSJ. Your unwillingness to drop block pressure to bait an SSJ or pbgc SSJ.

Also since your problem is that they react to your crossup this change may not even help you since you seem to want to press a button and a lot of supers are like this anyway just ssj is gigantic but hey empty jumps exist jumping over then blocking the other way is a thing. ssj is incredibly punishable if you know how to bait it.

That's the thing, you have to make a perfect block switch as you cross over in order to make sure you don't get caught by a SSJ, which is kinda silly.

But ah well, I guess I blew up the issue a bit. It only seem to really affect the situation above (when not doing so as a reset) and random SSJs in neutral. I still don't see the problem in making it post flash blockable to deal with these two scenarios as everything else would remain intact, but I guess they're unlikely enough that it's not that big of a deal.

Fair enough.

• When the opponent has any amount of Drama, the super flash from level 1 Blockbusters will no longer force hit stop on the defending character. This makes many Blockbusters that are unblockable after the flash blockable on reaction when used for a reset, as long as the opponent has not committed to any other action (mashing). Level 3 and above Blockbusters are not affected by this change.

5kgr0ye.gif