• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

He also need a godot palette, coffee for the coffee God.

It would be cool if each of the incarnations is doing something active around Ajna's inner realm like Scottish guy playing golf in Ajna's brain or wherever her inner realm is.
If Ajna ever gets poor eyesight, we can blame it on his golf ball hitting Ajna's eye

Gee, the Iron Kingdom sure are being made to sound like dicks. It'll be interesting to see the other side of the equation; I'm looking forward even more to Steampunk Fist Girl now. (Iron Kingdom's the Steampunk place, yes?)

As for Kaldi: I like coffee. I like merchants. I like characters with goats. But he seems a little underwhelming for some reason. Eh, maybe he'll look cooler when animated. For now, he just fills me with an intense need for cheap grocery puns, but so far nothing I have checks out.

upload_2015-10-28_19-8-34.png

... I found this funny and I dono why

Still not sure how are you supposed to throw those sickles but whatever. It's not even close to SG level of insanity, so whatever. As for nun, she doesn't have a cross-shaped blade, she has a cross-shaped _sheath_. I'm pretty sure there are just two straight swords inside.

Dhar's blade is also a real sword, a Kachin Dao so... yeah. out off all the weapons so far in the game most of them are real. expect for Kaldi's weapons.
unless I am completely wrong and that there is a real world version of this sickle/ knife hybrid.

You are.
They're called Mambele. They're an African designed close combat and throwing knife. Design varies wildly across the continent, but...

craziest-ancient-weapons-842779181-jul-16-2014-1-600x450.jpg

There's been some truly bizarre weapons introduced in Indivisible so far that have turned out to be real. I would really lean strongly on assuming Lab Zero know what they're talking about when it comes to researching stuff.
I would take it that any weapon introduced at this point is real until proven otherwise.

Skullgirls is similarly stuffed with totally out there references - Painwheel's Gaebolga metal spikes are taken from Irish mythology to name but one of the many many obscure shoutouts.

Last edited:
As for Kaldi: I like coffee. I like merchants. I like characters with goats. But he seems a little underwhelming for some reason. Eh, maybe he'll look cooler when animated. For now, he just fills me with an intense need for cheap grocery puns, but so far nothing I have checks out.

Well, he's just a goatherd, so he can't wear anything super fancy. Think of Gonbe, the farmer character from the Muramasa Rebirth DLC "A Cause To Daikon For"; while the other characters have fancy clothing, Gonbe and friends look like playable NPCs. Besides, considering Kaldi comes from an Ethiopian legend, his clothes look like traditional Ethiopian clothing.

I might be tempted to bump up to the next tier, but I'm not sure what "designing a custom room" entails.

Though I suppose I could just drop a few hundred more bucks and say, "Just keep me at this tier, thank you."

I might be tempted to bump up to the next tier, but I'm not sure what "designing a custom room" entails.
@Mike_Z actually mentioned people would be more interested in the secret room if they knew what it involved... so, uh, maybe you should tell us, Mike? Or make an announcement about it somewhere public?
I don't really know what would go into it and immediately dismissed it because it sounds very boring. Please correct this assumption!

@Mike_Z actually mentioned people would be more interested in the secret room if they knew what it involved... so, uh, maybe you should tell us, Mike? Or make an announcement about it somewhere public?
I don't really know what would go into it and immediately dismissed it because it sounds very boring. Please correct this assumption!

I agree with this, it would also be great if you could go a little bit more into the possibilites for the Incarnations and Boss designs, I know you mentioned something like being chased through a canyon by a huge spider, but I suppose most people just see it as "ok I visually designed this and they will implement it god knows where"

I think people would be more tempted to back if they knew what would be possible with those specific tiers

I agree with this, it would also be great if you could go a little bit more into the possibilites for the Incarnations and Boss designs, I know you mentioned something like being chased through a canyon by a huge spider, but I suppose most people just see it as "ok I visually designed this and they will implement it god knows where"

I think people would be more tempted to back if they knew what would be possible with those specific tiers

Aye, this is a big thing. The way enemies work in the prototype, they just sit there and do one or two attacks and aren't terribly interesting outside of their visual design. I know the combat will get far more intricate in the full game (secret boss has some really fun mechanics, and even they're still basic by what I imagine you're planning).

It's hard to validate wanting to fork out so much money for enemies, bosses and rooms when we don't know what actually goes into those things. NPCs are easy - it's a lightly animated sprite. Enemies though. How much can we give them? Do we dictate attacks or just visual design? What can we even do with the attacks aside from describe them like "swings overhand with sword and hits one target", etc.

Maybe a write-up or special section on the campaign giving a short example of what each tier can represent would help sell them. More than "design a boss!" "Design an enemy!"

There's a good chance us on SkullHeart know a lot of what you mean by these things, but we're not the ones you're trying to sell tiers to. We're all likely up to our financial limits on pledges already!

Though I suppose I could just drop a few hundred more bucks and say, "Just keep me at this tier, thank you."
I mean, if you've truly got more discretionary cash laying around, go for it, but I think it's a good idea to keep your life savings intact. Even though big donors chipping in more would be cool, what we really need is the 99% of everyone else to consider giving a little more. That would be a lot more cash, overall.

OK, I talked to people about this for clarification.
I'll post something soon.

@Verdant Brave @Cellsai

So, "secret room" is more than "boss" because it involves more aspects of the game - level design, art, and gameplay as well as map layout etc.
Because of that, there are many more possibilities. "Boss" means THE BOSS FIGHT, as opposed to where it goes and when/how it is accessed. You could design Phantoon and the fight, but the fact that it affects the rest of the Wrecked Ship before and after is separate.

Basically, the entire Scribble Cat section of the prototype is considered a secret room, rather than a boss, since it involves multiple places and triggers and stuff. It isn't limited to just one room. It can be a series of things for a sidequest, it can have enemies, etc. As well as the look and layout you can think about things like enemy placement, platforming puzzles, connecting areas of the world together, providing a way to get one of the secret Incarnations we haven't revealed yet, etc. You may not get to design completely custom enemies, but palettes and behaviors fo' sho, and we'll work with you to make sure you got your money's worth - so, depending on how much work your design takes, extra small things that affect the rest of the game are not out of the question. You could make the Black Rabite section of SD3 for example, or the Shinespark section and secret message from Metroid Fusion, or the temple climb from Shadow of the Colossus...or depending on the level of work required for the level design and enemies, maybe even the Shoryuken section from MMX2. (And yes, I'm including the Shoryuken itself in that.) Or if you just wanted to put a couple of Yashichi-like things in various places, you could do that too.

We'll obviously have to work with the people to determine how much work each thing is, but "secret room" isn't really the best description of what it entails.
(And I guess "boss" isn't either, because people think of that as being the entire section.)

That help?

There was a Shoryuken section in MMX2? Shit.. I know the attack was in, but didn't know a whole area was based on it.. I should go back and replay that sometime then x,x

There was a Shoryuken section in MMX2? Shit.. I know the attack was in, but didn't know a whole area was based on it.. I should go back and replay that sometime then x,x
Er. The challenging secret section of the game where you go and get it...

Getting the SRK was one of the few parts in MMX2 that required much thought, so sounds good to me!
I'd dfinitely look to adding something like that description to the campaign page, Mike. I honestly thought the secret room was as the picture showed on the campaign - an empty extra room you get to design visually and L0 slot in somewhere. Basically a room sized NPC or secret base in Pokemon.

Last edited:
For a speedrunner, the entire rest of the game afterwards is a shoryuken section lol.
I'm sure you know exactly what I meant, which is not the parts of the game where you USE it.

Getting the SRK was one of the few parts in MMX2 that required much thought, so sounds good to me!
I'd dfinitely look to adding something like that description to the campaign page, Mike. I honestly thought the secret room was as the picture showed on the campaign - an empty extra room you get to design visually and L0 slot in somewhere. Basically a room sized NPC or secret base in Pokemon.
'kaaaaaaaaay.

"A Cause To Daikon For"
And people say I make bad puns?

Clarification stuff on the boss and secret room tiers.

Hum. I had an idea for how I wanted Creepy Girl integrated as a boss fight, but it sounds like for those ideas to be implemented, I'd need to bump up my tier.

Clarification stuff on the boss and secret room tiers.
To make a themed ("the room where the boss is has some blinking lanterns in the background") boss fight you need the 7500$ tier? Is that correct?
With the 'great' upgrade System on Indiegogo there is no way I can upgrade (since you have to pay for the new tier in full BEFORE you get the entire older tier back)
Combining pledges after the igg is a no-go, right?

To make a themed ("the room where the boss is has some blinking lanterns in the background") boss fight you need the 7500$ tier? Is that correct?
With the 'great' upgrade System on Indiegogo there is no way I can upgrade (since you have to pay for the new tier in full BEFORE you get the entire older tier back)
Have you tried to get your pledge canceled and get refund, if it is possible? Or what about changing your pledge to 0 or 1dollard and then pledge again?

you could probably refund your initial pledge first and then put in more again

-snip-
Super cool! Now pls get @render to post some of that info for a Campaign Update.

By the way, are you guys still planning on doing the AMA on Reddit? Peter mentioned that something big might be happening next week, but if it was something like that, I figure you guys wouldn't need to keep it a secret right now.

No, it's not correct.
The boss arena and how you defeat them is included, those are part of the fight. Think of a Megaman boss (Gutsman, Wire Sponge, Web Spider, Morph Moth) or Kraid/Draygon or like, most Dr. Robotnik fights from the 2D Sonic games.
If you wanna make a giant spider battle where you light torches on the wall and it runs after you and crashes into the wall and you can hit it from behind, that's part of Boss. It depends on the scale. Since we've never done this before it's up to us evaluating how much work a given thing is once we start actually planning it - if you wanted to do something on the scale of like, Cenobia from Shadow of the Colossus we might say that's too much work for just Boss. And if you're adding a billion extra details which don't matter for the fight, at some point we'd probably tell you that's enough. :^P

On the other hand, since I used Robotnik as an example, if you wanted to do Marble Garden with the drill miniboss / Robotnik appearing in multiple rooms and you get to hit them each time, and the level collapses and junk...that's a Room. (All of that together is probably more than a Room since it's the entire level, but you get the idea.)

I am pretty sure that if what you wanted to do ended up being too much work for your tier we'd let you upgrade or something. That's not my bailiwick, though.

http://www.twitch.tv/StopMuroTime
Streaming to help spread the word a bit. Drop in, say hi and hear me lose my sanity while I attempt to get to and defeat the secret boss. Yay!

Also, I made these for my stream. Nothing super fancy, but just sharing in case anyone would want to use them for his own purposes:
CdQoxJu.jpg
BAJUERS.png

OH. So we can design a level where it's purely Metroidvania without the Valkyrie Profile battle element? I mean a purely real time battle.

I'd feel bad for ignoring a huge part of the game though.

OH. So we can design a level where it's purely Metroidvania without the Valkyrie Profile battle element? I mean a purely real time battle.
I'd feel bad for ignoring a huge part of the game though.
Well, you probably actually can't do that entirely unless you never actually HIT the boss, but you can certainly do a half-and-half. Do some junk and then fight the boss, or fight the boss and then chase it, or whatever. There aren't any examples of that which I can easily recall from other games, though.

Back