• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

Speaking of coincidences, there's actually another 2D metroidvania being worked on that's inspired by southeast Asian cultures, called Boma Naraka Sura. They started their Kickstarter campaign almost at the same time as the Indivisible announcement, and their lead girl is even rocking Ajna's shorts. The art style and combat are totally different though, of course.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter how many of these come out around the same time. L0's artistry and solid gameplay will always set them apart from the crowd. (Plus, Ajna can join Shantae and Anett on that incredibly short list of brown-skinned platformer ladies!)

I smell poor budgeting.

Or hidden publisher funding.

Either its poorly funded or something fishy is going on behind the scenes. Hope this isn't like the Red Ash Kickstarter.

Everything about Red Ash was sleazy as fuck.

Reactions: Magma442
Just making something clear, since I've seen people make the same (wrong) assumption about the art direction.

Whereas the world and art of Skullgirls was very much a product of Alex's design, Indivisible is Lab Zero's game. The entire team is pitching designs and ideas together, and we're deliberately not making this game be visually similar to Skullgirls/Alex's style.

Man yall a bunch of haters. I'll play Exist Archive it looks sick

Reactions: Ronus
Making a game with 25k $ is, stupidly low, unless they are god videogame developers, besides, they only have a little more than 17k, i predict that it will increase at much to 19k to 20k in the final day, so, even if they raise the amount needed, it's gonna be very hard, they probably have a company backing their efforts hidden somewhere (Since their requirements are so low).

I can see that this game has really good backgrounds, they seem detailed and with a lot of thought effort, the characters on the other hand is kinda like a mix between originality and some reused assets for some videogames, i can see some Ios monster designs on this thing, so, but the execution seems more pricey, i can't tell whenever this game can be developed at full 100% with so little, they have to be really dedicated in order to create something that is ambitious, i smell something fishy about this...

$25k is...really low...
I'm very surprised.
Yeah, they must have money from elsewhere, especially for pulling that entire staff together. Apparently the game's been worked on for a while, so all I can imagine is that it's mostly done, and the conversion rate from USD to IDR gives them enough of a boost to help with localization or something. There's no way those folks are getting paid from it.

The monster is silly, yet charming. I would like to see what other creatures will be in the bestiary. Maybe abominable snowmen or something?

I agree with some others that Exist Archive can use a bit of polishing. For Boma Naraka Sura, it was just meh with me; I checked the gameplay videos on the Kickstarter page and I don't find it quite appealing.

Speaking of coincidences, there's actually another 2D metroidvania being worked on that's inspired by southeast Asian cultures, called Boma Naraka Sura. They started their Kickstarter campaign almost at the same time as the Indivisible announcement, and their lead girl is even rocking Ajna's shorts. The art style and combat are totally different though, of course.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter how many of these come out around the same time. L0's artistry and solid gameplay will always set them apart from the crowd. (Plus, Ajna can join Shantae and Anett on that incredibly short list of brown-skinned platformer ladies!)
Based on the look of the protagonist, I'd say it's shaping up to be a spot-on representation of white girls' fascination with Asian stuff. Uncanny how they nailed that, being in Jakarta and all. Uncanny.
$25k is...really low...
I'm very surprised.
It's more like 60-80k when compared to LA costs. Maybe it just plain ol' costs less to make games in Jakarta, even after balancing cost of living. Maybe they're underestimating.

Also, this doesn't appear to have any frame animation, just model puppetry. I suspect a lot of the game will have those kinds of concessions.

Reactions: Jimbob and Denizen
Well, i don't know how much it costs to live and work in Indonesia, and they already have a part of the game done (demo up and everything).

The power stone spiritual sucessor Alex Ahad is working with had a similarly low kickstarter goal

OH WE GOT MONSTERS.

tumblr_nsj2hmQqGv1uzx2jzo1_540.gif
Not Alex Ahad enough, needs more eyes and teeth.

The power stone spiritual sucessor Alex Ahad is working with had a similarly low kickstarter goal
Well, adding to that point, Combat Core kinda fits into a noticeable pattern for most crowdfunded projects. Usually the cases where a relatively low funding goal actually seems to work out is when:
|A| The game is mostly done and needs localization, ports, or polish. (Mysterious Cities of Gold / Yatagarasu / Drift Stage)
|B|The game has been the passion project of one person, or very few. (Deer God / Freedom Planet / Adventures of Pip) <---(oh, and maybe Combat Core, if it gets done)
|C| The game is in the same situation as B, and is also using low-res/8-bit style graphics. (Rex Rocket / Creepy Castle / Odallus)
|D| Real funding for the game is secured elsewhere, sometimes resulting in a canceled campaign. (Divekick / FNAF1)
For most of those projects, the crowdfunding was really just a touch of additional help, and didn't represent the real total cost of the project. Sometimes the devs will even admit that they could probably finish their project on their own dime, but it would just take a lot longer. (Obviously, we know that L0 has to be more realistic than that if Indivisible is going to get done.)

So in the case of that Boma game, unless the company is just funding lunches to feed their slaves, I gotta believe it's either A, D, or bust.

Last edited:
Reactions: MooseHogBro
Speaking of guest characters, can there be an IndieGoGo stretch goal for this:
Rghpx43.jpg

Bonus, a certain guest star:
jngfcQO.jpg

Yeah, she's off-model in this quick doodle. I couldn't figure out how to deform her skirt in the Ajna pose. Her skirt doesn't act like normal fabric; it looks like it has a rigid hem.

I found this conversation on twitter showing how reluctant Lab Zero is in revealing the details of IP rights:

Alex Hurtado: Didn't get a chance to ask this at the AX panel, but does #IndivisibleRPG connect to #Skullgirls in story?
Skullgirls: No, #IndivisibleRPG is an entirely new IP, genre, etc. No connection to #Skullgirls at all.
Waasiq Shafi: Do you guys own the IP this time?
Skullgirls: Can’t really get into that stuff now, unfortunately... if ever. That’s deep legal magicks you’re toying with there.
Adding Filia and Annie is a great idea! :)

Because it's not SG, and not related to SG. End-game-dungeon type stuff maybe at the outside, but I even have some problems with doing that...
I understand now.

Because it's not SG, and not related to SG. End-game-dungeon type stuff maybe at the outside, but I even have some problems with doing that...
What about references?, or a little easter egg.

To all those wanting Filia or Annie in Indivisible: do you REALLY want that? Really?

at 1:38

I really like the music and some of the platforming gimmicks looked cool, but the SD characters are really unattractive and the animations are really jarring on top of that.

What the fuck.

They're not making a game for $25,000.

8GWY7ta.png

They're making a game for $12,500. $12,500 for 9 staff members. That's $1,388.89 per person, with a delivery date of February 2016. At $15 an hour, that comes out to less than 3 weeks of work. The KS mentions "one of our partners" so they had at least 1 publisher at some point with no mention of others, and I'm not going to delve into the comments/updates to find information that should be on the front page.

This is not a Kickstarter; it's a scam. I don't care if they actually need the money to make the game and if they could actually produce the game at this point, there's a huge amount of dishonesty about what's going on visible on this page.

That all aside, the main character uses Super Robot Wars/Vanillaware/old school Flash-style tweened limb animations for most of its stuff, which should save on animation budget somewhat when it comes to equipment switching and not having to draw run animations and such. There looks to be a lot of bars to fill and I don't like grinding. None of the combat or movement abilities look at all special; the only things mentioned are a dash, a double jump, a generic spear attack, and a summon that hits the screen with no animation.

Yeah, no.

I just don't get it. This feels too timed and shady to be just a coincidence, but that's also me being paranoid.

Also no to the SG reference. Lawsuits ya fools

Ok I'm holding my head at people trying to suggest things *ALREADY* but lawsuits? Who's gonna sue them? Themselves? Autumn?

Ok I'm holding my head at people trying to suggest things *ALREADY* but lawsuits? Who's gonna sue them? Themselves? Autumn?
Autumn. They hold the IP rights so I've heard.

Come on you idiots, it was literally a page ago.

Well if you're going to be a jerk about it here's the point I was trying to make: autumn owns the ip, yes. Why do you think I specifically named them the first time?

I doubt lab zero would want to self reference a completely different universe and I also doubt A) Autumn would sue them willy nilly if they did and B) that Lab Zero would do it without talking to them beforehand IF THEY DID.

There. So call me an idiot and think you're so damn smart.

Edit; done because my iPod touch turned a misspelling of universe into studio. :V

Last edited:
Reactions: SmashBlade
Is not like you need to own the IP to do a little easter egg or reference, little nods. =P

Is not like you need to own the IP to do a little easter egg or reference, little nods. =P
Just to fully clarify this:
To do a reference, being "something in this game reminds you of, but is not, something from another game", you don't need to own anything or get permission. SG color palettes, writing on walls, etc. You SHOULD get permission if the reference is heavily the same, but you don't have to. Parody falls under this category.
To do an Easter Egg where a character/item/whatever actually appears in some form or is specifically talked about or whatever? No matter how small, if it is the actual thing you damn sure need to either own the IP or get written legal permission, because if you don't you can be sued. This is the entire point of copyrights and trademarks.

Your assumption is what gets a lot of amateur people in trouble. :^P

You mean like the Moai head?
Or all the quotes Peacock makes?
Or Furrserker-Purrage?

Just to fully clarify this:
To do a reference, being "something in this game reminds you of, but is not, something from another game", you don't need to own anything or get permission. SG color palettes, writing on walls, etc. You SHOULD get permission if the reference is heavily the same, but you don't have to. Parody falls under this category.
To do an Easter Egg where a character/item/whatever actually appears in some form or is specifically talked about or whatever? No matter how small, if it is the actual thing you damn sure need to either own the IP or get written legal permission, because if you don't you can be sued. This is the entire point of copyrights and trademarks.

Your assumption is what gets a lot of amateur people in trouble. :^P
It doesn't have to be of the same game, but can something like this appear

Or at least just the cat, is not technically a Skullgirls reference by per se, or a dog :D