• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

So just imagine you're in bumfuck Japan, and have never heard English outside of hilariously dubbed anime white people. The grammar is basically 100% the opposite of how you normally think, you can barely pronounce the words, and your teacher doesn't actually know it and is just reading the katakana because they don't have access to swarthy Irish imports.
I will readily agree that English is much harder to learn for a native Japanese speaker than a German, but I still don't really see why English would be harder to learn for said Japanese speaker than German,French,Hungarian,Welsh,Whatever.

This seems like the really wrong thread for this, though/

They're going to not like this post after their mind is blown by it and there are a lot of words that will boggle your mind, and if you don't get it, you're going to wind up in the wind.

really cool info about the funding. Hearing more about the inner workings of game design is cool! As long as you don't accidentally breach a NDA XD

Soon the campaign kicks off, and Indivisible will get the full attention of the Internet, not unike the fiery spotlight of the Eye of Sauron swiveling to focus its voracious intent. So there are a few wrinkles that should be smoothed on the official website. That's right, it's pedantic unsolicited corrections time!

page title = "Indivisible is a new Lab Zero RPG video game with Anja on a journey."​
Ajna's name is wrong, and saying Role Playing Game video game is technically sound, but reads redundant to me. Also, kinda long for a title. Maybe better for meta description.

about page, sixth paragraph: "In addition to Lab Zero's talented team of artists and d2esigners,"​
"2" typo.

about page, third paragraph: "Meet Ajna (AHZH-na), Indivisible protagonist."​
"Indivisible's protagonist"

about page, first paragraph: "develop a new action/RPG, Indivisible."​
fine, but "action RPG" is sufficient. The slash makes it "action and/or RPG"

I assume the site will be updated anyway with the IGG campaign kick-off but I thought these minor mistakes need attention just in case. Not sure who to @ ping though...

As for the off-topic language tangent, I've always admired those that could go from a language with a 26 glyph alphabet (English) and learn something with hundreds of nigh-pictogram symbols (like Japanese, Chinese, etc.). For a good and short look at English, check out The Mother Tongue - English And How It Got That Way by Bill Bryson. One section briefly compares English to other languages. Like Chinese is as isolationist as its culture. Practically designed to be difficult to learn by outsiders. English may be a contradictory mess, but it is very accessible.

about page, third paragraph: "Meet Ajna (AHZH-na), Indivisible protagonist."​
"Indivisible's protagonist"
Or because she can quite divide herself :PUJNA:

Hey, at least we're not wasting time deciding if the chair is male or female.
AHAHAH YOU'RE NOT GOING TO LIKE ITALIAN NOUNS AND VERBS' PARTICLES

Reactions: Magma442
I can't wait to see what the boss for the prototype is. Please if possible do some kind of physical art collection.
If this or skullgirls had an udon style complete artbook I'd be in at almost any price.

Hey, at least we're not wasting time deciding if the chair is male or female.
I've had situations where only after some months of knowing someone online I learned that (s)he's the opposite gender than what I assumed.
This would never happen in Polish where we have a solid stance on whether the chair is a he or a she.
(it's an it, unless it's an armchair in which case it's a he. Very important!)

I've had situations where only after some months of knowing someone online I learned that (s)he's the opposite gender than what I assumed.
This would never happen in Polish where we have a solid stance on whether the chair is a he or a she.
(it's an it, unless it's an armchair in which case it's a he. Very important!)
I have really similar problems.

I can't tell if a lot of people i talk online are male or female unless they specify this in some way, and i don't have the courage to ask, so i keep treating the person as "you", or by the nickname.

While in portuguese, if the person is not lying or if the person is not dumb, if the person write: "thank you", i know if said person is male or female.

Trying to get my gaming rig to work again before this launches... Hell of a time for it to choose to die on me.

Real talk though? We need to spread the shit out of the word for this game.

No I don't know if that's grammatically correct but you get my point.

I'm telling to all my friends about it.

already seeded the message to everyone that I know and those who follow me on my Facebook Youtube "fan" page

When you see somebody, and you take the time to think about what they've given to you, artistically, it makes perfect sense that you'd want to support them in making more things that you enjoy. So, to me, the only world that makes sense is one where people say, "hey, Skullgirls was great, Lab Zero really bled for that game. I want more from them. I should support this campaign." It's obvious, to me. It's a forgone conclusion. If most other people don't think that, I frankly don't know what to fucking think about anything.

I highly doubt the Kickstarter will go wayward, nowadays it's harder to get a kick starter to fail then it is to complete one. Plus, Skullgirls was and is immensely popular.
On a smaller scale, sometimes single man developers or small teams will make a service to something else whether it be a game or music, and use the popularity from the fan base of that to release their own product, sort of like boosting their advertisement efforts 10 fold. (Just like one particular four legged fighting game)
Indivisible in a seance is no different, as it's "from the creators of skullgirls" it's already got a fair number of supporters.
And even if that isn't enough, it's a part of the human condition to better other peoples lives weather that be in a metaphysical sense or otherwise. One fan will tell another and so forth, spreading from webpage to web page.
I don't know what Lab 0 is asking for but, SG almost made a million just for being skullgirls, the ladder being, a game from the creators of has the respect to be half as successful.
Theirs a lot of good cards on the table for the kick starter imo.

Last edited:
I'm surprised how negative some people can be about turn-based battles, and it's like they freak out as soon as they see one. Don't these folks know that some of the most celebrated games in history have turn-based combat? Freakin' board games are turn-based! Gamers really need to stop basing "bad game design" solely on their personal tastes, and maybe even acknowledge when they've been ignoring certain types of games altogether. It's like they've pulled most of their opinions on gaming from fortune cookies and don't bother to try this stuff out for themselves.

A lot of my favorite games were ones I discovered when I was willing to try out something I was typically intimidated by. Heck, sometimes it wasn't even about the gameplay. Sometimes I'd just become so attached to a character, or a situation, that I couldn't put my controller down. You don't know 'till you try, and trying out a video game is SO easy compared to most things you do in life.

I just hope people will at least give the Indivisible prototype a chance, and not ignore the game because they hate Metroidvanias, or because all 2D games remind them of Newgrounds, or because they think female protagonists are played out, or because their friend said Skullgirls was bad, or because they feel that JRPG inspired games are "irrelevant," or whatever. Just try the damn game!

Indivisible in a seance
seance.png

Why does she not have her axe, though? Is she just hand-to-hand for this demo, or is it variable?

Why does she not have her axe, though? Is she just hand-to-hand for this demo, or is it variable?
i remember a while ago they said that she would not have her axe in the beggining and then get her axe in the dungeon thingy

Reactions: Kai
She can switch her weapons. Being unarmed is one of the options.

Is there going to be segments where you should have a power up, but are able to solve it another way?

what made me think of the question is I recently did a video of me bypassing a segment that I was supposed to have a powerup for. Granted here I didn't honestly break anything, but could it been the main part of the game, would of posed a save problem XD

Last edited:
Is there going to be segments where you should have a power up, but are able to solve it another way?
* are there

Those are either called "sequence breaks" or "glitches" depending on who you ask and what the game is.
And yes, but if they are intentionally made that way, then you are not really *required* to have the powerup, are ya? That's just the easy/normal way. :^P

could it been the main part of the game, would of posed a save problem XD
* had it
* would have
and for your video description
* could have

(^.^)

And the inner realm was said to be customizable.

Is this a VP spiritual successor or MGSV fighting edition?

* are there

Those are either called "sequence breaks" or "glitches" depending on who you ask and what the game is.
And yes, but if they are intentionally made that way, then you are not really *required* to have the powerup, are ya? That's just the easy/normal way. :^P

* had it
* would have
and for your video description
* could have

(^.^)
We've already concluded that I'm not an English major last year... I'm not the one picking your website apart for ill spellings and grammar.

I see Mike is also bored while waiting for the indivisible prototype to drop, and wants to continue our riveting discussion of the difficulty of the english language!

Reactions: Wenzel
I can't wait for the prototype to drop. I'm feeling kinda mixed on the game right now cause on the one hand I love platformers, but on the other I've played very few RPGs where the combat is anything more than a chore. 9 times out of 10 I would take an action game like a megaman or a vanillaware game over an RPG. RPG combat is just so repetitive and it never feels like it's based on skill, you just grind up, find the path of least resistance, take turns hitting each other until one party is dead, and rinse and repeat. I'm like halfway through persona 3 right now, and it's just a fantastic game marred by not very strategic combat. I don't know, @Mike_Z are there any systems you have in mind to keep combat varied and strategic? I really don't want to play another dice rolling simulator.

@Ravidrath I know it's a long long way off, if at all, and I know this isn't front and center of any of your minds right now, but is a skullgirls 2 still on the table down the road? I'm assuming autumn still owns the SG IP, and as you're using a different publisher for this game, I'm just hoping to know where that stands. If the chances of SG2 are slim, I'd like to be able to let it go emotionally. You might have an nda or something, but I figure it's worth asking.

@Ravidrath I know it's a long long way off, if at all, and I know this isn't front and center of any of your minds right now, but is a skullgirls 2 still on the table down the road? I'm assuming autumn still owns the SG IP, and as you're using a different publisher for this game, I'm just hoping to know where that stands. If the chances of SG2 are slim, I'd like to be able to let it go emotionally. You might have an nda or something, but I figure it's worth asking.

Autumn wants to do it and we'd like to do it some day, but I have no idea if or when it will ever actually happen. We were starting to talk about it, but Autumn couldn't get the money together before we signed Indivisible with 505.

There's another thing brewing that I can't talk about yet that will have a big impact on whether SG2 happens or not, as well.

Hey Guys, I got to visit Lab Zero last weekend and posted my impressions on the prototype on several other forums, thought I would post up here on my impressions.

I'm gonna try to talk in detail but not about the content of the prototype because it will be out soon and I don't want to spoil anyone's experience.

The game is an RPG with 2d platforming in between. The movement felt great. Gave a little feedback on movement but nothing big because it already feels really really solid. You can do an attack while platforming, which doesn't have any lag and is super responsive. This comes in handy because you will see enemies on the map and can hit them before combat starts to get a first attack.

There are some great movement options aside from just running and jumping. It feels really solid. I keep saying it but from the start the game just feels so damn responsive. Not really slow like some rpg's feel. Which brings me to the actual combat.

In battle your party members are set to each of the face buttons, in combat each character has an active time battle guage that will allow the character to attack when it is full. Characters can also have multiple stocks of attacks so you can have the main character Anja attack multiple times in a row. Kinda like smash, a character action + direction will have different moves.

Anja's up+attack is a raising jump kick that can launch enemies. Down + attack is a crouching jab. Different attacks have different properties, hitting multiple people or doing a lot of damage at once.

Another aspect of combat is the super meter, of course attacks you do build meter. And when you have meter it gives you access to two additional things, each character has a super move that will take all of the meter saved up (up to a current max of 3). More meter = better super.

Super meter is also used to drain meter, pressing the characters action button when an enemy attacks let's you guard. As you guard your meter will drain.

Battles were super fun to play. Having multiple characters with multiple stocks of actions doing all sorts of crazy stuff, you get the hang of it pretty quickly, this attack hits multiple people, this one hits single target, but does more damage.

Won't go into much more but the game felt super solid and its just going to get better.

Outside of seeing the studio, talking character design and just bouncing ideas off each other was a dream come true. Thanks to everyone at lab zero for having me through there! Everyone was great and ooooohh man the stuff I saw!

Im seriously telling everyone about this game and getting the word out there.

TL;DR It's amazing.