• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

When i first saw the trailer, and the descriptions, i thought about a game with the combat system similar to what happens in character action games, like devil may cry, bayonetta, etc(i would say viewtful joe because it is the 2d of the genre, but i never played it). But with the exploration of games Super metroid (and upgrades?), of course, i had no reason to think about that in specific, but is something i would like to see someday.

I don't know what exactly indivisible's combat system is, or will be, but i think it will be fun, the guys at lab zero knows what "fits" together.

I don't see how any of that would complement exploration.
Since we're allowed to talk about it more than not-allowed-at-all: Not all enemies have to be "battle" style fights, and really the only thing that would interrupt exploration heavily enough to "ruin" it for me would be random battles rather than enemies you can see.

I get that you have a certain thing in mind, but remember that "inspired by" is not "trying to exactly replicate", and you also skipped the Valkyrie Profile part.
I would never try to make Superest Metroid, because I don't think it needs to be done - SM is already excellent. But I think there is a lot of room for exploration in that genre, more toward the Metroid side than the Castlevania side, that hasn't really been done. Think about Indivisible the same way that Skullgirls is "inspired by" MvC2/GG/VSav but not trying to be an MvC2 sequel.

"inspired by" is not "trying to exactly replicate"
You'll probably have to say that about a dozen more times before it actually gets through to anyone here.
Another thing that should be repeated several times, "new video games are more than just adaptations or fusions of old video games"

Indivisible will play like Indivisible, I'm happy sitting on that knowledge.

:^|

I just thought it would be a cool easter egg.

Will I be able to avoid all fights, never level up, and then sit in the final boss battle on lvl1, pulling my hair out and asking myself why I did this

Ah yes
The universal special across all RPGs

Is there a chance the track could bend?

I just thought it would be a cool easter egg.
It was more your phrasing. :^P

Will I be able to avoid all fights, never level up, and then sit in the final boss battle on lvl1, pulling my hair out and asking myself why I did this
So about that whole "leveling up" thing...

It was more your phrasing. :^P

Sorry about that. Didn't mean to sound rude. But seriously, it would be cool if they were in.

So about that whole "leveling up" thing...

No leveling?

tumblr_inline_n0ffg9k8jc1rhmi6z.gif

I am aiming for most improvements to your battle ability to come from plot/upgrades/skill rather than from grinding, yes.
Alundra and Super Metroid are decent examples here.
That's awesome and also awesome.

I am aiming for most improvements to your battle ability to come from plot/upgrades/skill rather than from grinding, yes.

I'm really happy about this! One of the reasons why I enjoy the Metroids over the 'vanias are that you can't "level up to win". In the 'vanias, if you get stuck on a boss fight, you can easily just grind it out until your stats are high enough to defeat the boss. In the Metroids it's solely dependent on the player to learn the abilities movement/actions of the boss, and how to use your current abilities to defeat it.

Can't wait for the demo!

If i can level up my attack speed then i'm all set for life.

Reactions: Dean[SG]
There exist things you can level that aren't attack and defense, though.
so should I be thinking like Paper Mario: TTYD like leveling then?

Just don't pull a "Legend Sword" please! I lost a small piece of my childhood trying to figure that thing out, and once I learned the truth, it made me feel worse than Ralphie with his Decoder Ring. A lot of savefiles were dumped that day.

but we CAN go as upgrade-less as possible to have the same experience as a no-exp playthrough of other games?

Chocobo World Confirmed.

Lol, but in seriousness, I'm interested in seeing your approach to systems and stats and all that good stuff, especially given that you're a fan of stuff ranging from CT, to Alundra, to SOM. But for the sake of my own biases and preferences, I hope that some of the simple satisfaction of "Yes, another strength point! +5 defense thinger!" carries over into whatever the final product is.

Oh... and numbers flying out of enemies. Please with the numbers. I hope.

Since we're allowed to talk about it more than not-allowed-at-all: Not all enemies have to be "battle" style fights, and really the only thing that would interrupt exploration heavily enough to "ruin" it for me would be random battles rather than enemies you can see.

I get that you have a certain thing in mind, but remember that "inspired by" is not "trying to exactly replicate", and you also skipped the Valkyrie Profile part.
I would never try to make Superest Metroid, because I don't think it needs to be done - SM is already excellent. But I think there is a lot of room for exploration in that genre, more toward the Metroid side than the Castlevania side, that hasn't really been done. Think about Indivisible the same way that Skullgirls is "inspired by" MvC2/GG/VSav but not trying to be an MvC2 sequel.
I get that nobody is trying to make Super-Duper Metroid, but I just never thought of Super Metroid and Valkyrie Profile as two great tastes that would go great together, so I'm really not sure how this is going to play out. I know that mishmashing different genres willy-nilly doesn't usually turn out well! I know you guys are anything but willy-nilly, but I'm still trying to figure out which elements from SM and VP would go well together and which ones wouldn't... I just don't think the exploration of SM and the battle screen of VP are the ones that would go well together.

I get that nobody is trying to make Super-Duper Metroid, but I just never thought of Super Metroid and Valkyrie Profile as two great tastes that would go great together, so I'm really not sure how this is going to play out.

Thinking outside the box can create some wonderful things though.

but I'm still trying to figure out which elements from SM and VP would go well together and which ones wouldn't... I just don't think the exploration of SM and the battle screen of VP are the ones that would go well together.

The exploration in Metroidvania's isn't all that different from traditional adventure games and rpg's when you think about it. It just has more fun stuff like platforming, new movement abilities to be gained, etc. based on that, I don't think this is a bad idea.

Actually that reminds me of Mario and Luigi. Great game where you gain new abilities to explore as you go, but battles take place in their own turn based format.

Last edited:
Quick question about the playable prototype:
Will it be available on multiple platforms (mac and linux), or just PC?

Reactions: MooseHogBro
Another thing that should be repeated several times, "new video games are more than just adaptations or fusions of old video games"
If we're talking of the indie/semiindie videogame market it's legit to have that doubt tho, I have it often myself and I'm a lover of indie games because indie producers have no limits to their creativity and can use it fully, but let's be real here: many titles get a shitton of money exactly for being copies of old games. They even publicy themselves by saying "this game looks like the one you loved as a child". Case in point: Mighty No.9 and that new game with the chameleon.

The more I hear about this, the more I can't wait to get that demo.

I'm currently imagining a system like leveling up the abilities of weapons in MMZ. Is that too far off base?

Last edited:
If we're talking of the indie/semiindie videogame market it's legit to have that doubt tho, I have it often myself and I'm a lover of indie games because indie producers have no limits to their creativity and can use it fully, but let's be real here: many titles get a shitton of money exactly for being copies of old games. They even publicy themselves by saying "this game looks like the one you loved as a child". Case in point: Mighty No.9 and that new game with the chameleon.
Not exactly. MN9 and Yooka-Laylee concentrated on that because they were done by the same guys although with a different franchise name and because the publishers (not the devs) didn't embrace said franchises. There ARE some other indie devs that get "inspired" by classics, but the ones you listed got much attention because they were thought by the original devs

So I imagine equipment/ability loadouts is what 'levels up' then as you progress if it's not your base personal level stats? So pretty much like how your typical hunting genre game where you don't get stronger by grinding kills, but by obtaining better equipment/ability upgrades after reaching a certain fixed threshold. If that is the case then how important will that be in the game? Will your average player get by fine to complete the game [on default difficulty if there is even a difficulty choice] without bothering to 'level up' what can be leveled up?