• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Input Errors moving forward and backwards

Spencer

Painwheel
Reaction score
Steam
qspec
Painwheel Squigly
I'm at wit's end... like quit this game and don't look back wit's end.

I get weird input errors. I sometimes stop moving forward or backwards.

It seems to be character independent. It seems to be intermittent (though increasingly so).

It is always just forward and backwards. I have never noticed buttons not registering nor up and down (I can actually still move up and down in flight when it does happen).

It is likely not my stick which is brand new because I noticed it happening on my old stick and bought a new one thinking the old stick was the issue.

It is not my USB ports (I've tried 3).

It doesn't seem to be my computer (nothing like this happens anywhere else).

It doesn't seem to be lag (the games in which it is happening are often lag free and seemingly perfect except for this issue).

So I've no clue, but it sure makes playing this game difficult as hell.

This is a perfect example of the issue. I try and continue the combo and jump straight up. The forward input was not read.

It is most visible when it happens during flight. I'll move forward, stop, forward, stop. So if I can get some examples of that, I'll try.

Most of it isn't "visible" though as it just looks like I'm dropping a lot more combos than I normally would (since I don't get flight/lk.nails/lk.buer), or it looks like it is intentional.

Any videos or whatever you want/need to help diagnose or troubleshoot, please ask.

1. Switch controllers to make sure it isnt a controller issue.
2. Its probably your computer, so just play the ps3 version and use the comp for beta access/beta practice.

I really think its your controller or computer though. I dont have those problems at all... Though my comp does micro freeze but that isnt what happening in the video.

It isn't the controller (I've tried 2) or usb (I've tried 3). It could be my computer, but I have a pretty decent computer, and it is performing fine in every other game I play (lately mostly just Saint's Row 4 and League of Legends).

It doesn't seem to be internet related (I've run "ping -t www.google.com" in the command prompt and all is as it should be.

I don't have a PS3. I can try it on the xBox360 to see if it happens there if necessary.

Yeah it isn't a microfreeze. All other inputs seem to work. Just forward/backward stop working.

It is almost 100% your computer then. More like a compatibility/scripting issue that's it is having with sg. Contact mike and let him know your computer details. Then he might have you wait until the error occurs again and then run some kind of process checker that will tell him what happened in the last 30 seconds... That is if he cares or isn't to busy. But yeah, it's more than likely your comp, it doesn't matter how good it is, there may be compatibility issues somewhere.
This is the reason I hate computer gaming in the first place.

So my internet is solid:
Packets: Sent = 3604, Received = 3604, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 125ms, Average = 40ms
Control-C
^C

My PC is pretty solid (not to mention I run other games perfectly):
i5 3.4 quadcore
8GB Memory
GTX 760

Doesn't seem to happen offline (I spend a fair amount of time in training).

I don't know any more...

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?

If you haven't already, try turning off Aero.

But, yeah, I've also noticed that when playing locals on the XBox version, the controls seem much more reliable than on the PC version, even with the same stick. And it's definitely not my PC, since I can use the same stick in the same port with other games and have no issues.

Reactions: Spencer
I'll right, I'll mess around with aero.

I'm also trying to find correlations.

Qanba Q4. I'm going to try it on my Brawlstick, but the reason I bought the Qanba is because the Brawlstick had similar symptoms a few months ago (I thought it was the stick going out).

I assume it doesn't happen with the keyboard?
Online only, or offline as well?
Try something stupid for me - map up/down and left/right backward (i.e. map UD to LR, and LR to UD) and see if it happens with UD instead of LR when mapped like that...whether it's the axis of the stick or the mapped dirs that matters.
Also run it in the beta with just your problem stick plugged in and
-log
and pastebin a log, maybe?

[edit] It could be your USB polling rate, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding.

I've actually not tried the keyboard to be honest which was dumb of me. I literally didn't even consider it as an option.

It seems to be online only from what I can tell.

I swapped stick inputs. It has been incredibly cooperative tonight (of course...), but there were a few games in which it seemed like the problem is with the inputs "left" and "right" not the stick position. Of course, it is incredibly hard to play like that, so it could have been user error. I'll try more especially when I can better guarantee it will happen.

I'll run the -log tomorrow.

I"m not familiar with usb polling. Is there a way I can test that, upgrade it, whatever it?

I dunno, I just did a search for "usb polling rate".
http://www.mikemartin.co/system_guides/hardware/mouse/polling_rate
?

If it's online only though, it might just be that your computer is too crappy to handle rollbacks and misses some of the USB data, have you tried 2D backgrounds / smaller screen size / higher GGPO delay?

My computer is pretty decent.

i5 3.4 quadcore
8GB Memory
GTX 760

I'll try all of that during a period in which it ramps up. In the meantime, I'll read up on USB polling (good for the major anyway).

Thanks.

If you are going to swap up and down on your stick, try and turn the entire stick over and play seth style ( crosshand...you will have to reprogram your buttons) but playing cross handed should make it much easier for you to play than having to reverse your up and down directions while playing.

I was going to suggest changing Brawlstick switch to D-Pad instead of Left Stick or see if changing the Qanba to PS3 or 360 mode (if it's a dual mod) and see if that does anything.

Wait wait, never use any stick set to Left Stick, wtf. Ever. For any reason. Always set to D-Pad for fighting games. Left Stick does all kinda weird software ramp-up/ramp-down junk in some sticks.

I had a similar problem some time ago, where my character would star walking forward/backwards by itself, stop responding entirely and then work again. But it had something to do with my controller since when I bought a new one it stopped completely.
Also reinstalling the controller driver made it ok for a while but the problem would come back eventually.

Question for @Mike_Z :

In your UFGTX panel, you mentioned that the input code for this game works by building a "virtual joystick" every frame, and applying that to the character, rather than applying inputs directly.

Windows USB polling rate is by default 125Hz (well, sort of. It averages 125Hz, but it can't be truly counted on to be synchronous). This means you're getting two, sometimes three, inputs per frame (and more if there's any kind of hitch at all). Obviously, the "virtual joystick" can only be built from one of them (hopefully, the most recent one...), so what are you doing with the other inputs that you're getting on each frame?

Question for @Mike_Z :

In your UFGTX panel, you mentioned that the input code for this game works by building a "virtual joystick" every frame, and applying that to the character, rather than applying inputs directly.

Windows USB polling rate is by default 125Hz (well, sort of. It averages 125Hz, but it can't be truly counted on to be synchronous). This means you're getting two, sometimes three, inputs per frame (and more if there's any kind of hitch at all). Obviously, the "virtual joystick" can only be built from one of them (hopefully, the most recent one...), so what are you doing with the other inputs that you're getting on each frame?
That's not really how that works. The game asks Windows (or the PS3, or the 360) "what's the joystick's state" once per frame, and gets it. It will be the most recent joystick state that Windows (or the PS3, or the 360) has. There aren't any "other inputs" to throw out in that case. A console can provide the game with something like 200 inputs per second under the best circumstances, but all that means is you're getting the latest and greatest state of the stick in the last 1/200th of a second, not that you're gonna use all 200 previous ones.
You can ask for the last few joystick states on consoles, and I think on Windows also, but I don't know of many (any?) games that actually use those except for Wii motion stuff where you build a curve out of them.
What the game does with the input state after that is irrelevant to your question, and only matters for the behavior of the game during odd input states like L+R at the same time.

Reactions: Cynical