• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Inputs being misinterpreted when using Squigly's stance cancels

zeknife

Reaction score
Steam
zeknife
Parasoul Squigly Big Band
If you input a quarter circle stance cancel with Squigly just a bit too early for the games liking, you will instead get the special move of the leftmost button you are using for the cancel, provided your attack is either blocked, or you hit but do not have a seria charge.

Here is a video that demonstrates this:

I understand there is supposed to be some level of technical difficulty involved, but you shouldn't have to fight against the game actively misunderstanding your inputs where there should be no ambiguity.

Sadly, this won't get changed. A while back I mentioned it to Mike and he explained what was going on and why it wasn't going to get changed.

Essentially you're inputting the stance during hitstop, but the cancel won't come out after hitstop (because the startup is so slow). Because of that, the stance won't hold, and like the game would, it gives priority to the lightest attack. On block, the hitstop is less so both the stance and the cancel happen after hitstop. For charged Seria on hit, both stance and cancel happen during hitstop. For charged Seria, the hitstop is less so the stance comes out during hitstop but the cancel would come out after hitstop, so the same thing happens.

I asked him if he could fix it and he said it would take way too much work for the one example that has other workarounds. Of course, he suggests doing cancels in any of the other two ways: hold down HP and qcf+LP for uncharged cancel, and qcf+PP I guess for charged ones on block lol

Reactions: Mr Peck
To explain that differently, and correctly (^.^) there are two ways for a Seria cancel to happen:
- One is if you are holding any other button during any frame of the stance startup, which means in your example if you held the buttons a touch longer you'd get it 100% of the time.
- The other is, specifically on hit, if you hit 2 P or K buttons at the same time.

There is ambiguity because she hasn't actually started DOING the startup when you hit the 2nd button, so it doesn't know that that button applies.

The only way to completely miss it is to press and release the buttons entirely during hitstop. This help is the best I can do, although I suppose I could add a QCT+PP/QCT+KK shortcut as well?
[edit] Yeah okay lemme see how hard that is...you still won't get it with P+K but I have no problem with that.

Last edited: