• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Interest Check: EVO 2015

EVO 2015 for SG yeah?

• Ye

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • Nah

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Going to CB instead

Votes: 28 39.4%

• Total voters

GrunkleBarlowe

Formerly Dolfy
Reaction score
Ms. Fortune Squigly Double
Hey ya'll,

Since a lot of players are picking CB over EVO (which honestly if you only play SG you should), I'm really curious about who is still planning on making it to EVO this year. I didn't want to make an official thread because I know @render made the thread last year and would probably have a lot more information than I would on SG at EVO.

Since I'm missing CB for SGDQ I'm really curious about who is still going, since it looks like I will miss out on a lot of people :v

Players confirmed for attendance:

SonicFox
Swiftfox-Dash / TJgamer
Shadowfury33
Solemnsiren
PFGC Dad Toucher / Jayford
Remikz
Render
Fosh
Bit Strife
Beamsprouts
trainedbydeath
Mike Z
Biz Casual

Last edited:
Really wish I could go to combo breaker but I'll just be watching the streams. But as someone who will be watching both streams I would have to say Combo breaker mostly because there's a bigger list of games im interested in watching.

Reactions: ImpTenebraum444
Evo is great and all, but Combo Breaker seems far more accommodating. It's got a bunch of fighters I have actual interest in and actually features older games that I love like Garou. Overall I just think Combo Breaker has more available for us to watch and play than Evo.

It also helps that Combo Breaker is only about 3-4 hours away from me :3

I too, am more than likely missing Evo this year for CB.

I think all/most of PNW is too.

Reactions: Kai
I'll be missing Evo for the first time in 3 years.

Me too! One of my deadass best friends decided to get married that same weekend. What a jabroni!

I'm going to try my hardest to get to EVO since SCR moved the date to literally the weekend before my finals/graduatation. #can'taffordtoflyboys

Last edited:
I wanted to go to EVO this year (would be my first ever EVO) but so many people have been turned off by it and I'm already going to CB, I feel almost like nobody's gonna show up. Plus, why am I gonna give them money when all I'm going there for is SG and it's a side tourney? Just seemed like it wasn't gonna be all it's cracked up to be. CB sounds like it's gonna be hype tho.

Reactions: Kai
Going to EVO over CB because can only go to one and I plan to play more than just SG.

I'll miss any of you that won't make it this year and its a bummer because no one even recognized me at last years EVO lol.

Going to EVO over CB because can only go to one and I plan to play more than just SG.

I'll miss any of you that won't make it this year and its a bummer because no one even recognized me at last years EVO lol.
Show up to a NorCal local so we can ingrain your face into our minds.

Yeah, I'm going to EVO.
I'd like to go at least once, and I do play some of the other games that'll be actually featured there.
It's a shame SG's gonna have so little presence this time around tho.

CB alllllllllllll the way!

If it wouldn't look bad on MarkMan's wonderful stream, I would HELLA be skipping Evo this year. Ha.

I'm definitely going to CB. Am still teetering on EVO, but I definitely intend to try. I would also be sorta upset if Markman's setup for us goes to waste.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrunkleBarlowe
I'm not interested in Evo this year. Many reasons, but most of them are stemming on the fact I have no money this year.

With the moving and CB trip, no way I can add an EVO trip to my budget. Also, I'm all EVO-ed out, since I'm only interested in two FGs for now. I'll go wherever SG will go!

EVO's good for the prestige and grand scale. Thing is, EVO doesn't care about Skullgirls, so there is no prestige, and there is no grand scale.

Combo Breaker has us as a main game, on a main stream, and with extra streaming during the after-tourney hours. Add onto that a 24/7 venue with tons of space, lower cost, and an included arcade cabinet section?

If your main game is Skullgirls, there is literally no reason to pick EVO over CB. Impeccable UFGT heritage means Combo Breaker is going to be the tournament that other tournaments wish they could be.

main game
main stream
6542c5011e.jpg

Is this out of date?

Last edited:
I have some personal bias towards UFGT/CB because it is a lot closer to me than EVO is, so it is also much less expensive and more manageable to go to for me, but that's really more of the icing on the cake.

My experience with UFGT vs EVO has generally been better at UFGT, granted, I've only gone twice to both (2013-2014).

Evo 2013 was super hype because we got a main stage stream and everything and it was also my first time at EVO, so when I went to Evo 2014 it was underwhelming by comparison, especially because of the whole Tekken incident dampening the finals. EVO 2015 looks like it could be hype since MarkMan looks to be making a more deliberate effort to get SG a stream, which is super nice of him. However, SG is still just a side game at EVO and it doesn't really seem like SG will grow at EVO. Sure we can get upwards of 200 people to enter, and have a blast "sticking it to the man" and showing SG can make some noise, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears. I'd go as far to say that in order for EVO to be worth it, you would have to play multiple FGs or be playing one of EVO's main games. Going there for a single side game, SG or otherwise, doesn't really help in the long run because EVO doesn't care about getting consistent numbers at EVO. It cares about getting large numbers (and sponsors). Everyone knows that EVO is the biggest tournament in North America, so it will naturally get the highest overall turnout anyway.

UFGT on the other hand only gets bigger and bigger for SG. UFGT/CB seems to want to actually support the growth of SG; they WANT us there. With SG now a main game at Combo Breaker, on top of being better run and giving a better tournament experience overall, I think I'd rather support Combo Breaker to become its own "EVO" instead of trying in vain to make a large enough splash in the vast ocean of EVO to get noticed.

If there were 2 major SG tournaments at the same time with equal entrants, but one is a main game and one is a side game, I'm going to the one that treats SG as a main game.

With that said, my attendance at EVO is uncertain because I don't know if I can book off work that weekend since I booked time off for CB.
I don't want to leave MarkMan hanging, but I also don't want to risk looking bad to my employer either.
Ideally, I'd be able to go to both, but with my current situation, and after seeing everyone else's reception, I am starting to lose motivation to bother.

I've got CB all booked and sorted (since about February, now), and I'm planning to go to EVO as well, but I want to get a room split thread going for EVO before diving in too deep. I dislike Vegas (as I neither drink nor gamble), but I've also got SSB4 that I might as well enter for, and I generally feel that anything worth trying is worth trying twice.

So..i took vacation time off for Evo at the beginning of the year before i knew every SGs player would rather attend CB. I kinda play SF4 but not really, i wanted to show up and enjoy the spectacle that is evo cause Vegas and it'll be my first Evo but i also wanted to get alot of side gms of SGs in to git gud in person w sets w some of the better players in our community, but will there even be anyone there who plys SGS as thier main gm? Everyone from what ive read seems the general consensus is eff evo...

Last edited:
You should probably book the time off and get a ticket as fast as you can for CB if the only game you care about is SG.

CB will be the SG Love Cradle.

Reactions: POS Industries
I'm actually don't that upset I am missing EVO this year, and that's entirely because Combobreaker IS the Skullgirls event.

Why did I pick this year to go to EVO? You guys are making me sad...
I feel your pain :'(

Is Skullgirls not going to be at EVO?

Skullgirls is going to be at EVO and Markman from Mad Catz did promise us some exposure. But the difference between say last year's EVO numbers vs this one may be jarring. Most people that have to choose one or the other are choosing Combo Breaker due to more support.

I do feel kind of bad for Markman, I won't be going to evo since like many I can't afford both evo and CB and I only really play skullgirls, but it seems like he really wants to make up for the stream problems last year and he's going to be rewarded by lower numbers because the tournament itself doesn't care about SG.

I'm really thankful that Markman was so quick to promise stream time to Skullgirls, but here's something people tend to forget: the stream problems from last year really shouldn't have happened in the first place. All it would've taken was a modification to the staff briefing at the beginning of the day to make sure the stage staff kept everything on schedule.

As for this year, there's the slight possibility that Skullgirls' performance at Combo Breaker may generate enough interest in the game to draw more people to the EVO side tournament. Even if you're not going, still do your best to spread the word if any side tournament-related news comes out! I'm not going to EVO this year, but I will be helping out on the interwebs where I can.

I honestly would love to go but the problem for me is not having the money for it, with going to college right now, and most likely moving in with a good friend of mine soon, funds for things like Evo isn't for me right now :c