• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Introduction and asking for advice

Sinkrity

The Complete and Utter Definition of Noob
Reaction score
Steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/sinkrity/
Hello! ^^ My name is Sinkrity, Sink for short, and i recently joined the skullgirls community. So far the characters i enjoy playing are Valentine and Fukua although i have yet to play them on a team together due to comfort issues. As the title suggests id like advice on general concepts not taught by the game and such however i also have a more specific request. I need to know how exactly you build combos, i understand how to do combos and can pull off a few that ive found but id like to be able to come up with my own. Is there a list for characters that shows all their OTG's, possible resets, good starters and stuff, is there any resource in general to help with that, or do i have to just mess around with it on my own? Any help is appreciated even if it doesnt seem relevant to what i asked for if you think itd be helpful PLEASE post it. Feel free to ask me questions or for contact information if youd like to play (im on pc). Have a nice day ^^

Reactions: Thrasher08
The best way to learn combos is searching here on the forums (try the character specific forums) or youtube, but I wouldn't rocommend focusing in combos too much if you just started playing. I also do combos that I "discovered" by myself on training mode, but that takes time. Watching top players matches helps a lot to understand what moves are good combo starters and how to make resets.

Seconding Zoroark.

Go to the character specific forums and try to find a good comprehensive guide (go see the BB one for a good example). Fukua is still fairly new so she might not have a lot of stuff, but Val is pretty popular and probably has all kinds of stuff on this forum and on youtube.

Also, just start playing with them. It is a path of more resistance, but you'll learn what works and what doesn't, what chains and what doesn't, and on and on.

Also, spend some time in training.

It doesnt matter if im just starting out, the game doesnt match me with people who are also just starting out. With that in mind punishing a 50 hit combo doing 75% of my hp with a 2 hit combo doing 10% wont get me very far. Thats why i need to learn combos. I also dont learn well from watching im more of a hands-on sort of guy. It makes things much easier for me when i see a combo in print than trying to pull it off after only seeing it done. Also ive done nothing but sit in training since i got the game so its not like im trying to play against real people yet. As the saying goes, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Learning BnB combos that every else can also see is good but knowing how to make your own helps you improv your way through matches. It also makes you less predictable because theyre combos YOU made not one that anybody can just go find then watch out for. Thanks for all the advice though ^^ I understand it takes practice but learning what and how to practice only helps you along the way. In other words dont work hard work smart. I was just trying to see if there was a place where move properties were listed such as OTG's and resets other than the threads teaching you full combos. Keep all the advice coming please! ^^

Yeah, you do need to know combos. They are kind of the price of admission. Get one decent bnb that is far from optimized and then go into some matches and prepare to lose... a lot. It is how we all learned. This is a genre in which you get good at losing.

From there, once you get the flow of your character, the hang of their moves, etc. I'd work on optimization.

Those 50+ hit combos aren't the ones you need to be as afraid of. It is the player with good resets. I'd much rather go vs someone with a perfectly optimized 8k+ damaging combo and no resets than one with a 5k+ combo and phenomenal resets.

Reactions: Raging_Zoroark
What I did with Filia and Ms Fortune (and later with squigly) was basically this: first I went to training mode and developed a combo that was nothing more than ground hits, launcher, aerial hits, blockbuster. The damage were around 5k, witch is fine for someone that just started. I went to arcade mode and played until I got confortable with the combos. Then I went online.

When I say to not focus on combos too much, it's because it's more important to learn how to land them and how to not get hit by your opponent, and this only comes with time and playing with a lot of people.

Watching other people matches it's isn't very good for learning entire combos (because all happens way too fast) but it's good to learn something about some moves. For example, I didn't knew that silver chord could be used in the middle of a combo until I saw someone using it. Then I was able to improve my squigly combos.

Here's the combo I did for the first six weeks or so with Val:

Whatever ground string hitconfirm -> c.hp -> j.hp -> j.hk -> mk Bypass -> land -> flatliner.

Does about 5.5K depending on what the hitconfirm was from, is super easy-modo.

I'm sure if you ask a Fukua player, they could provide you with something similar.

Spend an hour or so in training mode learning to do that. Then go play a bunch, and focus more on neutral and defense.

Reactions: Spencer
Hi, you should play Val/Fukua on a team even if you're not really comfortable with team play yet.
Any move that looks like it can hit OTG will hit OTG. There's no special property for that. Same with resets; they're like combos were you have to come up with them on your own.

As far as making combos goes, find out what cancels into what and go from there. For example, Val can chain LP>LK>MP>MK>HP/HK on the ground either standing or crouching and cHP is jump cancelable. So now you want to find a ground chain that goes into cHP so you can jump cancel it and continue the combo. Val can airdash cancel her normals so now you need to find some combination of her air normals and her airdash cancel that will bring them back down to the ground so you can continue it even further. Once you get that down you need to understand how IPS and undizzy work then adjust your combo around that until you get something you're happy with.

Wow, went out to fireworks and already this many responses, only another reason to love the SG community :D Thank you for all your advice and such i should be able to put this all together eventually. The main problem im experiencing is the teamplay. I want to play Val/Fukua team combo but i dont exactly know how to put them together with assists and stuff. I think ill use heavy hair drill for fukua's assist and from my understanding val is more of a point character anyway. Any advice on Val/Fukua teamplay would be AMAZING. Thanks for all your feedback!! ^^

Last edited:
H drill is going to be good for controlling horizontal space for Val. Think of it as a fireball with 0f startup and 0f recovery (yeah, the projectile doesn't hit instantly, but Val is free to act while the fireball is getting into position). Use that to force a block on someone who's low to the ground and get in.

It's also a great blockstring ender, since it's going to hold them for about a million frames. Something like c.lk -> c.mk -> confirm the block, s.hk ~ s.mp xx Dead Cross. If you plink that hk and mp correctly, you'll get both the hk normal AND the assist call, so if they don't block the hk or the Dead Cross (because they're trying to hit a button), you'll be able to dash in and get a full combo, and if they do block, they'll be stuck in blockstun for you to get more pressure and a mixup off of.

I'd start with whatever feels good for assist.

From there you're play style will start to dictate what works better. You'll start to realize that there is a hole in your game (caused by character selection or the way you play) which you'll want to fill, but for now take an all-purpose that is useful, get a decent bnb, and then work on the reset game.

And yeah, this is a great community. You just got advice from Duckator (arguably the best SG player), and Elda (arguably the best SG player) pop's his head into the PW forum on occasion. Most of us are glad to help and even our curmudgeons are helpful... usually.

H drill is going to be good for controlling horizontal space for Val. Think of it as a fireball with 0f startup and 0f recovery (yeah, the projectile doesn't hit instantly, but Val is free to act while the fireball is getting into position). Use that to force a block on someone who's low to the ground and get in.

It's also a great blockstring ender, since it's going to hold them for about a million frames. Something like c.lk -> c.mk -> confirm the block, s.hk ~ s.mp xx Dead Cross. If you plink that hk and mp correctly, you'll get both the hk normal AND the assist call, so if they don't block the hk or the Dead Cross (because they're trying to hit a button), you'll be able to dash in and get a full combo, and if they do block, they'll be stuck in blockstun for you to get more pressure and a mixup off of.
Thanks ill try that out in the training room tomorrow after i get home from the range :D so busy lately >.< gonna have to sit down tomorrow and dedicate some time to this stuff haha ^^ have a nice day/night
here's a start combo for fukua.

s hp > j hk > c lk > s hp > j mp > j hk > s lp > s mp > Drill L
I'll also work on this and maybe eventually extending it, it looks like a pretty good brick to build off of though thanks and have a nice day/night ^^
I'd start with whatever feels good for assist.

From there you're play style will start to dictate what works better. You'll start to realize that there is a hole in your game (caused by character selection or the way you play) which you'll want to fill, but for now take an all-purpose that is useful, get a decent bnb, and then work on the reset game.

And yeah, this is a great community. You just got advice from Duckator (arguably the best SG player), and Elda (arguably the best SG player) pop's his head into the PW forum on occasion. Most of us are glad to help and even our curmudgeons are helpful... usually.
yeah that sounds like a good idea, fill my gaps with one character with the other to sort of compensate for each other, also i had no idea i was so lucky to get this attention haha im truly greatful for the advice and help guys! ^^

here's a start combo for fukua.

s hp > j hk > c lk > s hp > j mp > j hk > s lp > s mp > Drill L
after messing around with this a bit i came up with a variation that i think would work kinda well once i could actually execute it s.hp>j.hk>s.lk>s.hp>j.mp>j.hk>s.lp>s.mp>s.hp>Drill of my dreams

after messing around with this a bit i came up with a variation that i think would work kinda well once i could actually execute it s.hp>j.hk>s.lk>s.hp>j.mp>j.hk>s.lp>s.mp>s.hp>Drill of my dreams
switch the s hp with c hp and it'll work better

H drill is going to be good for controlling horizontal space for Val.
I think M shadow would be better. Val controls horizontal space pretty well herself.
Drill is better for poison load combos though.

I think M shadow would be better. Val controls horizontal space pretty well herself.
Drill is better for poison load combos though.
Yeah ive seen that in action. I havent messed with poisons much yet but i have been able to due to taking your advice and using Val and Fukua on a team together even though im not entirely comfortable with teams yet. So far ive seen a pretty large improvement in my gameplay with all my gaps filled from both characters. I use HK bypass for val's assist, do you think thats fine? Also should i focus on rushdown or mixups more with val as a point? Thanks for all your help!!! ^^