• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

It was foretold by Gyromancy -The Silent Hill thread

What the hell is wrong with Konami, forreal
How did it survive so long with these fucked decisions

I'm
I'm speechless
and I'm gonna cry bye

the only thing I am somewhat "happy" about is that Norman Reedus will not be the protagonist. Nothing against Reedus, I just hate the idea of having a celebrity play the lead role and having a big name attached to it, it just seems like a huge publicity thing to attract more fans.

Man, it really sucks on so many levels.
No new Sukent Hill.
Del Toro still can't catch a break in the games industry
And the prom is tomorrow!

Probably all the slot machines, pachinko, fitness and some other bullshit they do.

I don't know business, what does this mean?
the only thing I am somewhat "happy" about is that Norman Reedus will not be the protagonist. Nothing against Reedus, I just hate the idea of having a celebrity play the lead role and having a big name attached to it, it just seems like a huge publicity thing to attract more fans.
But see...

It's Norman Fucking Reedus you pleb

I will gladly take anyone who isn't Jared Leto, so whatever

It's Norman Fucking Reedus

chris%20tucker%20fuck.gif

You nerds don't understand the importance of Norman Reedus's presence.

Is it time to cry? Yep its time to cry.

Wait, Silent Hills was CANCELED? Like what the actual fuck? (A bit late to the party)

I need to get out and play these games at somepoint. I have SH2, but haven't touched it yet. I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but I already know a ton of story stuff for different games. It's gonna be fun figuring out what I know from what game. I have such a disjointed understanding of the series' canon XD.

This thread has been cancelled lul

I need to get out and play these games at somepoint. I have SH2, but haven't touched it yet. I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but I already know a ton of story stuff for different games. It's gonna be fun figuring out what I know from what game. I have such a disjointed understanding of the series' canon XD.
Silent Hill 3 has always been my personal favorite.

I just like the story of the Mason's more than Jame's struggle.

Is there any I should just outright skip? I've heard Homecoming and The Room are pretty bad?

I thought The Room was a great title.
it has that creepy atmosphere,
the monsters are great,
and the combat is pretty good.
breakable weapons are probably the best way to have good combat in a survival horror game.

also "....receiver!" -baby noises-

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Downpour, not only is the gameplay meh, but it's buggy as hell ( at least the ps3 version is ). Also, not that this is a bad thing really, but the main protagonist reminds me too much of Cody from Final Fight/Street Fighter

I enjoyed Homecoming and The Room, not my top picks but I still say they are worth playing. I've played majority of the games, Silent Hill 2 and 3 I played from the HD Collection on PS3, this is probably my ranking of Best to Worst.

SH 2 - Everything about this game is awesome, and has the best story of all the games IMO. Play this game, love this game

SH 1 / SH 3 - These two are pretty much tied in my book. SH 3 had a really nice updated feel to it compared to SH1 and 2, and the puzzles are insanely challenging in you play on Hard setting.

SH Origins - My only real complain about this game was that I had a huge surplus of weapons by the end of the game, wasn't very difficult to beat at all. Throwable weapons was neat too but they were sort of OP

SH 4 The Room - I thought it was a decent game, but fuck the ghosts. I enjoyed the FPS mode inside the apartment room and how it was always changing, and I liked that there were a lot more items than in previous games

SH Homecoming - This game gets a lot of shit, my only "complaint" is that the combat is too easy and the story is sorta meh.

SH Downpour - buggy as fuck on PS3, claimed to be "open world", yet it was very linear and all the side-missions can be found by just playing the game and taking a few minutes to check your surroundings. IIRC, the whole "enemies are more active when it's raining out" can be avoided pretty easily as well, it didn't add much to the game at all

SH Shattered Memories - This one isn't really Silent Hill, just a different perspective on the story of SH1 with totally different gameplay. Either way, I didn't really like it but I think that's because I went into it expecting typical SH gameplay.
I've never played Book of Memories or the spin-off arcade/mobile/shooter games

I say play Silent Hill in the order is came out, at least the first 4.
I've heard mixed opinions on Origins, so play if you want to play it after the first 4.
homecoming in my opinion is bad.
just skip it.
anything that really whores out Pyramid Head is garbage in my book.

except the one Silent Hill comic that's actually good.
and it's forgiven because the guys behind that comic were all "dammit, why did we whore him out too? that was dumb. we're sorry"

Because, as I mentioned in the other thread, they used to be one of the best Japanese Developers and Publishers in existence.

Missed this.

Is there any I should just outright skip? I've heard Homecoming and The Room are pretty bad?

After 4, none of games were developed by the original team* but were outsourced to western developers. General consensus is that those are worth skipping.

Actually the team broke up after 3, but IIRC 4 was the same people, even if 4/The Room was intended to be a different title that Konami forced them to shoehorn into sh canon.

Also the HD collection is really bad and buggy.

Last edited:
Konami isn't going to die, they still have the ddr franchise and that will still make money even when the company is long and dead.

That and Yugioh.

But seriously, Screw Konami. they are literally below "Capcom and Megaman treatment" levels now, and quickly approaching the bottom of the barrel in gaming.

Reactions: agent13
Wait.
Silent Hills gets canceled
But
Youtube Click-bait: The Game gets a 4th installment?
There is no god.

Wait.
Silent Hills gets canceled
But
Youtube Click-bait: The Game gets a 4th installment?
There is no god.

Gamers killed the gaming-gods by buying too many brown and grey first person shooters.

This is a medium where a Contra made by a collaboration between Konami and Arcsys didn't make enough money for the sequel they wanted. The reason more awesome games aren't made is because no one buys them. We have no one to blame but the audience.

The Souls series is a miracle. Imagine if Demon's had rotted in obscurity and Dark had never been made.

but... PT was successful...
so i don't think that really applies to this situation.
there's still plenty of awesome games being made. <:3c

but... PT was successful...
so i don't think that really applies to this situation.
there's still plenty of awesome games being made. <:3c

That is true, but the general consensus seems to be that Konami's reasoning was "let's not take a risk" considering how expensive a Kojima + Guillermo + Norman collab would be. Most things that are interesting are becoming very risky in this medium.

There are definitely still good games being made, but they are distressingly growing rare. Who's going to make awesome 3d character action games if Platinum were to go away? Not many developers are up to the task, and even sadder is that most of them don't sound interested.

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, but it's easy to be cynical on a day like this ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake Was Here
man, don't even remind me about del Toro's involvement... :< dude just wants to make good shit but can't ever catch a break...

^^^ Don't remind me. I recently was tasked with writing a 8+ page essay on Pan's Labyrinth for college, and enjoyed every moment of it. Got an A+ and the paper was shown to the dean as "the kind of paper that justifies this course" yay

Shame about At The Mountains of Madness too. Especially since what supposedly supplanted it (Prometheus) turned out pretty bad.

WAIT WHAT THE FUCK'S GOING ON WITH AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS
DO NOT TELL ME IT'S DYING AGAIN.

I was referring to the original "Prometheus came out and it's too similar" word from a while back. Don't know what's going on with it right now.

Ok good I was about to lose my fucking mind.
Recently Del Toro said he's gonna try making it again since he's pals with Legendary, if he does it with Legendary, he thinks chances are better than they were.
I missed that, that's definitely good news.

Sorry for the scare, ha ha.

WAIT WHAT THE FUCK'S GOING ON WITH AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS
DO NOT TELL ME IT'S DYING AGAIN.
Well aside from no studio being willing to give Del Tor the amount of money he says he would need to produce a faithful adaptation (something in the ballpark of $150 million)
  • When the title was being considered by Universal they wanted Tom Cruise to star in the film
    • Despite the main character being an aged researcher that would probably be better portrayed by an actor like Bryan Craston
    • This would also necessitate forcing in a love plot to a story that has no female characters at all
    • Odds are they would ramp up the more actiony bits of the story to 11 since that's why you would bring in Tom Cruise.
  • The rating would be dropped from the all to appropriate R-rating to PG-13 to help fill in seats
    • This makes no sense since the closest horror film to have content similar to ATMoM would be movies like "The Thing" (1982) which also had an R rating.
  • Del Toro has been wanting to make this movie for over half a decade, even after all the slam dunk movies he's made in that time nobody is willing to let him make the movie the way he sees fit (i.e. just make a faithful adaptation.
Edit: I think he's been talking to Legendary for a couple of years so I'm not holding my breath.

Not to mention the original short story wasn't that bloody as far as I can remember. A gory R-rating would probably be straying farther from the source material.

It's not that the story is overly gory. But I don't want to see the parts where there are depictions of human (and inhuman) dismemberment to get watered down or given the PG-13 "frame it just off camera" treatment. It's already hard enough to make a movie based around Lovecraftian horrors since by design they are supposed to be incomprehensible and impossible to reproduce through visual media. The one story that is probably the easiest to translate to film is the one I don't want to see possibly restricted because of a movie rating.