• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

J.LP Delay Cancel Bug

Doing a kara airthrow after connecting with j.lp seems like a thing every character can do
This is news to me, but it sure seems like it might be a feature

Isn't Bella's j.lp xx grab bag similar?

edit: nvm, i'm dumb

It's not a tick throw, it's a cancel
It turns out any character can chain into a kara airthrow with lp~lk or lk~lp after connecting with j.lp

Feature? Who knows

so i can do that shit with fortune's j mk?
No, jLP chains into jLK, but if you press jLK and then jLP almost immediately after, you do a kara throw kinda thing, so LK starts but then gets cancelled into throw. MK can't chain into LK or LP so you can't to the kara-throw-thing cancel.

Val has some gimmick with the first hit of j.HK, but you have to air dash after and grab.
Also, you probably won't be able to follow up if you're not in the corner because val's air grab fucking sucks.

Wait, so can you plink lp into lk or lk into lp to get this to work?

usually lp into lk, since it's more common to chain LPs into LKs instead of the opposite.

I can't get this to happen without the trick of doing j.lp then chaining into j.lk and kara cancelling that with throw; might be a button macro thing?

Same trick works with grounded chain into kara cancel BTW

Edit - wow that is kinda really nice trick to make some mediocre tick throw LPs into 1-frame gap monsters for the characters that can chain lp to lk

Last edited:
lmao so this is what you were doing @Lethalmind
Pretty much yea. Lol. Didn't think about it as far as they did though.

There's a few frames to special/kara cancel most normals in this game, and that is known, so I'm surprised people didnt figure this out earlier??

I think, this is not technic.

it's a bug

Pretty much yea. Lol. Didn't think about it as far as they did though.

There's a few frames to special/kara cancel most normals in this game, and that is known, so I'm surprised people didnt figure this out earlier??

It's using the special case of input leniency for lp~lk and lk~lp to let you get a kara throw if you hit the buttons a frame (or two?) apart. It does seem like an obvious use of that kara in retrospect

letting Val get perfect 1-frame gap tick throws off all three of her standing chained lps (which are normally like -1 on block) is kinda good guys

To me it looks like it IS a kara cancel but after the hitstop so it seems kinda delayed?

It is specifically lights, so I'm assuming it is to do with the LP~LK and LK~LP kara throws.

@GFarmer
LP -> LK~throw? It's a feature, not a bug.
This has been there since SG 1.0, I use it all the time and have been since day 1. :^)

[edit] The input is (j/s/c).LP -> LK~LP or LK during hitstop~LP+LK. You have to do the final input for the throw after the hitstop for the LP, during the first 2F of the LK (the regular kara period). It obviously doesn't work if you chain to cr.LK, but s. or j. work.

I could FIX it, but I like it. So unless someone gives me a reason to fix it, there it is.

Reactions: gllt and Midiman