• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Japan's views on the characters populairty (NOT GAMEPLAY)

Japan and America both need to embrace the Mistress of puns. Instead....she's right in the middle.... :(

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
Pig-chan? She's skinny as a rail! She's Hollywood fat!

Anyway, Marie and Peacock's positions make perfect sense, but I'm surprised Marie beats out Peacock and Valentine. I guess the whole 'meido' thing somehow outweighs the whole 'not playable' thing.

Reactions: evacino
Pig-chan? She's skinny as a rail! She's Hollywood fat!

Anyway, Marie and Peacock's positions make perfect sense, but I'm surprised Marie beats out Peacock and Valentine. I guess the whole 'meido' thing somehow outweighs the whole 'not playable' thing.
No Filia is actually thick man.

Hollywood fat is just a few pounds heavier than borderline anorexic european model.

I mean jesus christ have you seen her thighs, tummy, and butt? That's actual thickness going on there. Attractively thick even. But Japan sees her as gross pig.

I don't believe it. Not only have I found a Japanese combo site, but it also doubles as a Skullgirls fourm! It has gameplay strategies for each character (even Baewulf)! I need to look into it more though to see to what extent it goes analysis-wise.
This forum is neat, but moves really slow.
The last tier list someone posted was from last July which looks like

Solo
S: Parasoul, Painwheel, Fukua
A+: Cerebella, Fortune
A: Filia, Double, Big Band
B: Squigly, Peacock, Valentine
Team
A+: Parasoul, Double, Cerebella
A: Fukua, Painwheel
B+: Filia, Big Band
B: Fortune
C: Squigly, Peacock
D: Valentine

Though the later comments seem to be disagreeing, and suggesting moving Peacock and Val up and Double down. Something about those 2 and Fortune being really good as point on a team.
Idk, someone who actually reads this should look at it, but it seems to me like it's not very active.

This forum is neat, but moves really slow.
The last tier list someone posted was from last July which looks like

Solo
S: Parasoul, Painwheel, Fukua
A+: Cerebella, Fortune
A: Filia, Double, Big Band
B: Squigly, Peacock, Valentine
Team
A+: Parasoul, Double, Cerebella
A: Fukua, Painwheel
B+: Filia, Big Band
B: Fortune
C: Squigly, Peacock
D: Valentine

Though the later comments seem to be disagreeing, and suggesting moving Peacock and Val up and Double down. Something about those 2 and Fortune being really good as point on a team.
Idk, someone who actually reads this should look at it, but it seems to me like it's not very active.
Of course they want Val and Peacock up but not Squigly, everyone hates Squigly's gameplay, even the people that main her hate her gameplay deep inside their hearts, even i do.

Every japanese player I've ever had the pleasure of talking to calls her a pig affectionately???
Fine, most Japanese players find Filia's thickness disgusting.

Of course they want Val and Peacock up but not Squigly, everyone hates Squigly's gameplay, even the people that main her hate her gameplay deep inside their hearts, even i do.
I like Squigly's gameplay...

I LOVE squigs gameplay. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

I LOVE squigs gameplay. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
So do i, but do you actually play her Solo or need assists? because liking her playstyle doesn't change the fact it's easily one of the worst compared to the rest of the roster, Squigly is in the bottom tiers for the right reasons, yet i main Solo Squigly just to show that she isn't as bad as a lot of people thinks she is, but the Solo Squigly way is one of the hardest ones to walk.

Fine, most Japanese players find Filia's thickness disgusting.
.... but that isn't true?

Yeah i still don't get why is Filia so low when japanese sites are so full of artworks of her, i was expecting her to be higher, top 3 to the least.

So do i, but do you actually play her Solo or need assists? because liking her playstyle doesn't change the fact it's easily one of the worst compared to the rest of the roster, Squigly is in the bottom tiers for the right reasons, yet i main Solo Squigly just to show that she isn't as bad as a lot of people thinks she is, but the Solo Squigly way is one of the hardest ones to walk.
I. Main solo Squigly too ( I use solo characters exclusively actually ) and I feel she's no where near as difficult as people make her out to be, and I never felt I was at a major disadvantage due to Squigly being bottom tier, but rather match up experience and my opponent just being better than me (that being said out of all my characters, Squigly is my best and I went on numerous winning streaks and give other good players with Squigly)

I think it comes from her placement in bottom tier and her being more technical that makes people not even want recongnize her numerous strengths as a character in gameplay

I. Main solo Squigly too ( I use solo characters exclusively actually ) and I feel she's no where near as difficult as people make her out to be, and I never felt I was at a major disadvantage due to Squigly being bottom tier, but rather match up experience and my opponent just being better than me (that being said out of all my characters, Squigly is my best and I went on numerous winning streaks and give other good players with Squigly)

I think it comes from her placement in bottom tier and her being more technical that makes people not even want recongnize her numerous strengths as a character in gameplay
Not because she is technical, but because she's very easily punished and pushed around, here's just one of the many reasons she is low in the tiers:

You can block most of her standing attacks while crouching, having only one overhead which is her Forward Hard Punch, otherwise you either need to grab or use a jumping attack to break a crouching guard.

Edit: btw we can't discuss this here, we are both derailing the thread and gameplay talk is not allowed in the general character discussions.

You can block most of her standing attacks while crouching, having only one overhead which is her Forward Hard Punch, otherwise you either need to grab or use a jumping attack to break a crouching guard.
She has one standing overhead, which is better than most others??

Not because she is technical, but because she's very easily punished and pushed around, here's just one of the many reasons she is low in the tiers:
I think you might maybe want to learn how to play your character better.

Reactions: SmashBlade
She has one standing overhead, which is better than most others??

I think you might maybe want to learn how to play your character better.

1.) Shitty range, easily punished if blocked.
2.) Right, because Squigly is definetly not easily punished or pushed around if you put pressure on her, it's not like she is slow or floaty or anything.
3.) If you're bringing this topic back up, please don't do it just to insult.

just one of the many reasons she is low in the tiers:

but that makes every character bad then =/ alot of characters don't have standing overheads just parasoul and squigly afaik

but that makes every character bad then =/ alot of characters don't have standing overheads just parasoul and squigly afaik
PW c.HP and Beowulf s.MP says hi

Right, but unlike Parasoul, the only way to chain with Squigly's is either stance canceling or using a special like silver chord, don't quote me on this tho, i haven't tried to chain it with a normal.

only big band, parasoul, squigly, eliza, cerebella and robo fortune have standing overheads. arguably all of them are worse than squigly's fHP for the sole reason that squigly can stancel hers.

Stancels make you hard to punish on block if you're not committing to hard reads like TK H Divekick. Stancels make you a fucking mixup machine. You can be incredibly scary in neutral when you get your charges with the constant threat of sing -> sbo/pusher and great options like silver chord and tremolow. Just look at good squiglys like Woofly and Zeknife (sorry US, i don't know enough US squiglys) to get an idea of how good the character is. Squigly is in no way low tier. No character is.

Last edited:
Does Japan still hate fireballs?

Reactions: Cadenza
Right, but unlike Parasoul, the only way to chain with Squigly's is either stance canceling or using a special like silver chord, don't quote me on this tho, i haven't tried to chain it with a normal.

Why do you want a normal that would scale severely to chain (stancels would make it too good)? Have you considered the mix up potential? Do you realize you said a character is bad because you can crouch block nearly every grounded normal? or that squigly "jHP tremolo sing jLK" contiello has shitty range? punishable on block when you have stancels?

Squigly isn't considered good (I think she's pretty ok) but your reasoning on it is so wrong that I just, just

I wish I was a squigly player so that I could help you understand how wrong you are but I'm not and it makes me sad that I can't be helpful but instead giggle at your reasoning.

Last edited:
I don't play Squigly but from what I have seen I don't understand why people say she's shit tier.

Course it could just be I suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: dead
I would like to know witch non playable characters are Japan's favorites. If the votes for the DLC characters were decided by them, wich ones would win (besides Marie)?

Minette would be high up there.
No kidding, the amount of japanese fanworks she has is ridiculous.

I've read through this stuff..

All I got was

Marie confirmed for Skullgirls and best girl in Skullgirls.

Minette would be high up there.
23138-excellentjpg-zryq.jpeg

Speaking of which, what do they call Minette in Japan anyway?

Right, i realize now how much of an ignorant idiot i was, and that i need to do research and lurk around, because i went ahead and looked up what overheads were, and then experimented in the training room to check them out and now i realize how damn wrong i was, and also i talked with someone over the matter and i didn't know that stancels are the reason she is hard to punish, there is a lot more about Squigly i need to look up, i don't stancel at all when playing online so i end up getting punished a damn lot.

Sorry for the shitty arguments and overall derailing of the thread.

I am curious to what Minettes nickname is also.

For some reason Val being so high up surprises me.

Though a ninja nurse with big boobs certainly has a certain appeal