• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [Jul 11, 2014] Skullgirls Encore EVO 2014 Official Side Tournament (Las Vegas, NV)

Is it next year yet (but not really because my legs and feet are in agony help)?

Reactions: Mwisk and Inferno
Thanks for organizing this render I hope this year wasn't too overbearing for you.

We shoulda group hugged render.

We shoulda group hugged render.

lmfao if you didn't knock Render out of the tournament and then man-hug him later against his will

reminds me. render didn't give me (or the 100'th person) a kissy. Unless he did without me seeing him kissing the 100th XD

It sucks that top 16 had to be on just the tiny screens, and people at home couldn't even watch, but... poverty can still be pretty cool.
poverty hype.png

Got quite a lot to say, but expect it soon guys. <3
I can sum up at least the part about top 32...
XANADUDES!

Also shoutouts to @Shin ATproof for god-like Rainbow Roads, False Prophets (Flarion), and that delicious brownie/oreo/other stuff dish. Will try to do a full list later.

Reactions: Weatherbee
I'm still sad that I didn't get a chance to challenge @Kit Ballard for rights to be admin of the Skullgirls Training Clan. I want back in.

Okay, my turn for shoutouts.

First off, wowowowowowowowowowowowow, what a first Evo for me. Sucks that I wasn't able to go to the Salty Suite, but it was still fun regardless.

First of all, shoutouts to @BrandX+ and @Inferno for letting me stay at their apartment whilst the tourney went on. Really helped me out toooooons.

Next to @mcpeanuts and @Hirokuni for being cool roommates and stuff. 'Twas great hanging out with you guys before and after Evo hours.

Salty Crew, where you at? @Nekro_Surge @Viro Veteruscy @WingZero @DJAzure @When's Skullgirls @Stuff (also, props for actually vandalizing public property in Vegas) @Jason D. @Weatherbee (who is the WORST at Mario Party, confirmed) @MegamanDS and @Wifininja. Good to see all of you guys again!

Valentine love was up in the house. Shoutouts to @Outlaw_Spike (for getting me those super amazing shortbread and fudge cookies, and just being a super cool dude overall) and @Shin ATproof (One of da bes in the business) for showing Val's still got some moves. (3-0ing Team Yung? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?)

Another WC fellow worth shouting out, @Domo. It was cool talking to you and stuff. Thanks for the amazing stickers, hope to see you again sometime, and I still accept being branded an Average Lad.
Oh, and Akihiko > Junpei

And now I can say shoutouts to EC, since this was my first time really interacting with most of them.
@keninblack for being a super cool and friendly dude, and for that pep talk after things didn't really go my way in pools.
@winnie for also being a cool dude. Really wish we'd gotten to play some Bella Pong, but maybe some other time.
@KhaosMuffins. We didn't particularly hang out or talk much, but the time we did was really enjoyable, and I hope to do it again sometime!
@dekillsage for taking Evo 2014. Super good job, man! #BellaNation
@SonicFox5000 for pretty much being one of the best general fighting game players at this point. Champ of MK9, Injustice, and DOA. Now go start playing games people with no taste care about so you can get the recognition you deserve. Also, stop shooting people. It's not nice.
@Zidiane Also another brief encounter, but it was still nice anyway!
@Hopscawtch Was nice hanging out with you, and thanks for finding my Evo shirt!
@POS Industries gets some love for being as cool irl as he is on the internet. A feat not many are able to pull off well.
@ElkyDori for also being a cool dude. Keep up the Painwheel and give Weatherbee a run for his money.

Course there's some for Midwest as well. Although it was brief, shoutouts to @Duckator and @konkrete (promise I'll be better the next time we're up against each other). You guys seem pretty cool, and maybe I can get to know the both of you sometime.

Now for some outside of the States. @Izzmo and @Mr Peck for being very cool fellows who bothered to come all the way out here for Evo. Hope to talk to you guys more sometime!

Couple more random ones.
@Skarmand for being actually Roxas irl.
@Pikmario for winning the impromptu Nidhogg tournament in 2107 earlier today.
@Swiftfox-Dash for the few games in the suite that we played. Don't even care if I get stomped, it's all a learning experience.

Biggest shoutout, however, to @render for organizing and running this entire thing single-handedly. You should get all of the awards for what you pulled off.

There are others I'd like to give a shoutout to, but I either didn't get to talk to them much to form an opinion, they don't have a handle on here I can tag them with, or I just plain forgot, but know I still enjoyed talking to all those I did talk to and stuff!

As a final note, if you guys happen to get a friend request from a talking horse anytime soon, it's me.

Hope to do this again next year!

Too many shoutouts.

@mcpeanuts You're always one of my favorite people to hang out with at every event. We owe you a trip to the east coast. Thanks for making it out for the third time this year.

@Negus Eyoel @SkippyMcYay @ThatOneOtherDude @Hojimbo, You guys are great to chill with and fun to play with. I hope we can continue the Cupertino/Fresno interactions so that we can level up for next year. Hope to see you guys at an Alpha Clash.

@ElkyDori you bopped me hard in the MM. Loved hanging out with you and I can't wait to see you again.

@Hopscawtch @nomnomkitty221 You are wonderful. That's all.

@PrettiestMedic @winnie @Elda Taluda I didn't get to talk to you guys as much but really enjoyed the time I spent with you. Hope we can hang out some more at future events.

@Broseidon Rex + @keninblack I fucking love you guys for bringing the hype. Grats Broseidon on getting 100% in IRL Majora's Mask. Keninblack you still owe me a lot of ssbm games.

@Hilary I'm going to be dropping a lot of speedrun stuff in favor of playing SG. Had fun hanging out with you and I plan on playing with you online a lot more often.

@render because you fucking know how to run a tournament. I think we connected on how difficult it is to keep this kind of thing running smoothly. I applaud you for keeping a positive attitude the entire event because I know how frustrating it can be.

@Zidiane Couldn't stop watching your solobella. The salt that generated from it was hilarious. Hope I catch you at another event so we can talk and hang out more.

@Choose Goose I just want you to know that talking to you on IRC really helped me out a lot. Talking to you in person was fun, but unfortunately I never got to check out lethal league.

Last but certainly not least I want to applaud @DoctorG (Better known now as Biz Casual) for making top 32 at evo when the rest of Norcal under performed. This guy has been fighting his tournament nerves since SCR and has come such a long way in the year or so we've been playing Skullgirls.

Might edit this tomorrow with more, but i'm going to pass out. I really don't think you guys know how amazing you are.

@Hilary I'm going to be dropping a lot of speedrun stuff in favor of playing SG. Had fun hanging out with you and I plan on playing with you online a lot more often.

The wisdom of a drunk man in an elevator is limited at best.

Especially if the basis of his argument is "never half-ass anything; pick something and whole-ass it with passion."

Play video games the way you wanna play video games and do what makes you happy you beautiful person you. <3

It sucks that top 16 had to be on just the tiny screens, and people at home couldn't even watch, but... poverty can still be pretty cool.

Hey cool, it's my match vs skarmand.

I never got to play @Negus Eyoel or @Skarmand out of tournament. =(

@Skarmand: I didn't really want to MM, but I would have been down for a FT10 set.

Big mega thanks to @render for setting up the whole side tournament and the LZ Salty suite (if the suite was someone else, then S.O. to you) and other LZ staff and volunteers that helped run it.

Shoutouts to all the new people I met and all the people I was able to see again.

@Cellsai It was so great to meet you in person. I'm totally going to try that frequency box trick for learning vocab.

Shoutouts to my roommates: @ElkyDori @cloudKing211 @Izzmo
Elky for being such a cool dude and his super heavy hitbox lol
Cloudking for being so patient with my saltyness lol
Izzmo for also being cool and coming all the way from Germany

Shoutouts to @Broseidon Rex and his salty suite and HAPPY MASK SALESMAN. Man, why wasn't that thought of earlier? lol

@Hopscawtch for letting people hang in his room and being a generally chill and cool guy. Great to finally meet you in person.

shoutouts to @nomnomkitty221 for being very nice and fun to be around. The tickle is real.

@Pikmario and his handmade blue/red box stick.
@Outlaw_Spike and his 2-player stick. lol

So many people to meet and hang with, but so little time. I had a great time talking with everyone, meeting new faces and old, and playing as many matches as possible with you guys for that always good offline experience.

Hopefully we can meet again next year, but until then, I'll see you online. =D

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the great times for Heather and me. EVO has quickly grown into something we like doing every year, and we're already planning on coming back next year.

Regardless of setbacks (like how I'm currently on a different flight that cost us $1200 because the flight schedules changed months ago and the info was sent to my spam folder, or how we just got told to get off the plane because the plane might not even be able to fly until tomorrow anyways), Heather and I hope to see you all next year.

Also on the obvious elephant in the room, I will say that @Duckator is an excellent player, and it could've gone either way. If anything, I'm glad I could show what I'm capable of and hold my own. I'm obviously glad I won, and I thank all of you who congratulated me on the victory.

I wish I could've gone further, but from 9th last year to 5th, I'm finally feeling like I'm improving. It's taken me a long time, and a lot of practice and effort put into my $15 game, but I believe it's been worth it. The community is amazing and is full of great players and great people, and while I hope in my heart that SG makes it as a main game at least once, I know that the passion we share will not let the game die that easily.

I was able to go the gauntlet against not only Duckator, but also Inuchiyo and @winnie. And though it wasn't meant to be this time, it's only a matter of time.

Something I finally got to do that I have been waiting for since December of 2012 was play against @Mike_Z. I did alright. Obviously there is room for improvement.

In the meantime, I'll keep doing what I do, which is spend way too much time in Beta.

Oh, and one more thing. So many people took pictures of the dickstick this weekend. Thanks to @chickenwithtie, @Viro_Veteruscy and orreip (sp?) for the four wonderful pieces of artwork. Most people who saw it laughed and I'm glad that was the response. In the future, past the Robo-Fortune release, there is a possibility for a Mariel Cartwright version (but no promises, she said). I would also love an Alex Ahad version (they only have themselves to blame for having a doujin of Beo x Taliesin in Aeon's room lol). This might be a yearly thing. Too much fun.

Shoutouts to @render because he's the best at running tournaments. Someday I hope he will DQ me too for being late. No but in all seriousness the tournament this year was so smooth, other than the weird situation with top 16 but that was outside of your control. Shoutouts also to the rest of Lab Zero and Eightysixed for manning the booths and being fun people.

Shoutouts to @keninblack @alxreaper @worldjem @Skarmand @Nekro_Surge @WingZero @Domo Goose Danny SpaceAndy wifininja Dominic @MegamanDS @Weatherbee ShinATproof Mr.Peck @Izzmo @BrandX+ @Inferno, @Dawn111 (keep practicing with that Eliza!) and the 140 something other peeps who went to EVO because they love their $15 too. I hope that next year we bring other people who share the same love.

See you guys next year! My wife sends hugs to you all.

Last edited:
Now what do I do?
Anticipate Eliza.
Didn't they say she'll be good to go after EVO? I'm guessing late this month-early next month for an official release.
If no, well "after EVO" Is true either way.

I wonder how many people you can tag in a post before the tagging thing breaks.

Shout outs to @Inferno for letting me stay with them for the whole weekend and driving me to and from the airport and such, really appreciate it bro. Also thanks to @BrandX+ also for letting me stay since it's also his place although we didn't get to hang out all that much, kept missing each other. I wanted to play Merkava mirrors with you at some point but there was just never time. Additional shout outs to @Some Person and @Hirokuni for being cool roommates.

GGs to my opponents in the tournament @ThatOneOtherDude @Izzmo @Negus Eyoel @Duckator and the fifth guy I played whose name I can't remember SORRY I'm ass. I had fun playing all of you (for reals, I actually get way less stressed and have more fun playing in tournaments like this than I do playing sets online). Sorry we never played any casuals but if you wanna play me yall know where to find me, on the Internet (my connection to Europe is reasonably good so Izzmo if you wanna run that push up match at some point I'm down, the push ups will be on the honor system).

@render thank you for running the whole tournament, that shit looked hard as fuck. I still owe you a beer I guess, I was waiting until you weren't busy with something else which basically never happened.

@dekillsage congratulations on your win, could not have happened to a nicer guy. I don't think anyone else has worked harder at improving at Skullgirls over the past year as you and it's great to see that effort pay off. And to think, you almost stayed home!

@Mr Peck it's criminal that I only get to see you once a year at this specific tournament, you're one of my favorite people to hang out with. Gratz on beating Inuchiyo, I don't think I could have done that.

@Broken Loose great seeing you and Melissa again, it was fun playing Coup, that game is hype. I was dying at all your pro meta game strats. "I attack you with the Assassin I definitely have. This is a real ass assassin, with her *checks card* blonde, er wait *checks card again* black hair..."

@keninblack @winnie always awesome seeing you guys OH MY GOD VIRGINIA and all that. I guess you're both taking a break from Skullgirls after this one? If that's the case then I hope I still get to see you at these tournaments even if you aren't entering SG.

@SonicFox5000 congrats on winning, well, everything? Every single game that was run. Holy shit dude it is amazing how good you are at video games. To have won three different games at Evo in the same year while still at the tender age of 11 is an unrivaled accomplishment, I don't think anyone else has done that. Maybe now people will give you some credit? (lol no they still won't YO I GOT MASHED OUT BY THIS KID SONIC CAT OR W/E AND THEN HE TEABAGGED, WHAT A SCRUB)

@Elda Taluda congrats on top 3. You would be such an easy player to root for since you're a cool guy and you play low tier, but I can't root for you while you're wearing that hat! Please set it on fire so that I can feel good when you win. :P

@Zidiane @Uzumakihero I think it's hilarious this is the first place I see you guys in months when you're both so close to GU. The struggle to get a ride is real! Thanks for being my teammates for the team tournament, sorry I lost every game I played, maybe some day I'll be good at Skullgirls.

@Dolfinh great to see you again, thanks for organizing and running the team tournament. I think getting a team tournament going is one of the hardest things to do, but it really did happen, there was a team tournament and we all played in it, so I mean good shit.

@Hilary @Domo @Skarmand @Choose Goose @GirlyStyle it was real cool to finally meet all you guys (except for Girly who it was NOT nice to meet (cause I've already met him before)). The pacific northwest scene seems really cool, I'm gonna have to get out to that area someday (maybe for Northwest Majors? Never been to that one). Domo you have the best stick I have ever seen in my life except for Choose Goose's stick. Thanks for bringing all the Mike Z cats, I hope random ass people kept seeing them and were like "what the fuck is that cat thing".

Sorry to all the people I forgot to tag, I'm garbage, maybe next time I'll do the tagging so good and get everyone. In general though if I talked with you at any point over the weekend then you're cool, since I didn't meet anyone I didn't like. This community rules and is definitely the thing that keeps me playing this game.

Had an incredible time this weekend. I guess my only regret is that I'm not better at Skullgirls, but I suppose everyone but Sage could say the same thing, and even then he's pretty fucking bad (all he does is mash Dynamo lmfao).

My shoutouts:

First, to the community for not kicking me out for being such a terrible player. It made me very sad that I missed unofficial Salty Suite on Sunday night because I wanted to sleep. After seeing it briefly right before heading to the airport, it was my only real regret this EVO. I learned so much from my matches against you guys. Especially against @fastturtle, though it was a very quick match!

(To whoever it was who sat down to teach me the Peacock matchup and convince me to just go Solo Filia against her, and who pegged me in the head with a paper airplane at Salty Suite, please PM me so I can edit this post! You had a really complex name and I didn't have a chance to write it down! I'm soooooo sorry!)

@POS Industries for giving me a slick new voicemail. AFAIK I was probably the only guy who took you up on that deal?

@guitalex2007 for letting me play with your Dickstick. I was the guy at the top4 stage who was photographed using your stick and looking very uncomfortable doing so.

@Broseidon Rex for the Curleh Mustache Mask.

@Some Person Holy shit, you were at EVO and I didn't even know?! It would've been SO cool to meet you in person! Next time, I guess?

@render for just holding down the tournaments and keeping cool even though the community was screwed for top 16...

Look, I'm still a beginner at this game. I haven't even put 60 hours into it yet. I really look forward to seeing how good I'll be once I've put in 100, and hopefully I'll be better at it come next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: fastturtle
Damn for my first EVO I had a lot of fun, i have a lot of shoutouts
@winnie For being one of the chillest people ive ever met, plus claiming me
@When's Skullgirls just an overall cool and fun guy to be around with
@Hopscawtch Finally being able to meet you and hang out was the best, much love
@POS Industries Dude was an interesting guy to talk to, had fun with him
@ElkyDori For putting up with me and spotting me for food, plus playing other games with me as well. need to get yatagarasu when it comes out so we can play
@dekillsage for being the king now, and knowing how to have fun and hanging out with you, same goes for @Lethalmind and @GeneralMunoz
@render for being able to make this thing happen, Thanks a ton
@Inferno and @BrandX+ was finally nice to meet you guys, looking forward to seeing you next year
@mcpeanuts Overall just a chill and fun guy to be around with
@keninblack Man what can i say that hasnt been said, fucking love this dude
@Broken Loose For Introducing me to avalon and coup, need to track those down
@nomnomkitty221 it was fun hanging out with you, looking forward to see you again
@Choose Goose You where p fun to be around with, plus that godlike stick of yours.
@Negus Eyoel Just overall chill and funny guy to hang out with
@Space Danny or A.K.A LSP, Had a good time with you, looking forward to next time we meet
@Outlaw_Spike Pretty funny guy to be around, had a blast with him
@Elda Taluda One of the nicest guys around, was good to hang around him
@Pikmario That godlike stick, and being really chill
@Dawn111 Dude, thanks for coming out to EVO, really glad you got a hitbox. keep on going and you'll get far in SG
And everyone else i met and hanged out with, if forgot to tag some people sorry.

Last edited:
Finally home and too tired to properly post, but for now cheers for hanging out, y'all. Apologies if I didn't say goodbye to you, but due to my brain doing a pretty sweet AM/PM mixup on me I had to leave for the airport rather abruptly. Much kudos to Heather for dropping me to the airport!

@Elda Taluda congrats on top 3. You would be such an easy player to root for since you're a cool guy and you play low tier, but I can't root for you while you're wearing that hat! Please set it on fire so that I can feel good when you win. :P
Actual chat transcript between me and @Night Phyre before Taluda's first game on stage:

Cynical: next time you talk to Taluda, tell him to burn that fucking hat
Night Phyre: lol
Night Phyre: his girl likes it, I think, so he keeps it
Night Phyre: :P
Cynical: Fedora wearer vs. Furry
Night Phyre: the chat with the fedora comments, lol

Reactions: mcpeanuts
OK HERE WEEEE GOOOOOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOO

@Choose Goose YOU'RE A BRO HOLY SHIT
@mcpeanuts WANTED TO HANG OUT MORE BECAUSE YOU SEEM REALLY RAD
@GirlyStyle *actually* MY DAD NOW #AdoptedBoys
@winnie YOU'RE RAD
@Mr Peck SUPER FUKKIN COOL GUY AND CONTENDER FOR THE CUTEBOY LIST
*FIXED* U ON THE LIST
@Skarmand how the fuck is it possible to look that good and play skulgirls how how how
@Duckator I AM STRAIGHT UP TAKING YOU OUT ON A DATE THE NEXT TIME WE MEET BECAUSE YOU ARE THE CUTEST MOTHERFUCKER OH MY GOD
@KhaosMuffins @Shin ATproof @Weatherbee That fucking chicken.............
@DJAzure god damn you are a nerd
oh my god

oohohoh my god
LAST BUT NOT THE FUCKING LEAST BECAUUSEEEE OOHH MY GOODDDD
@keninblack

DEADASS GOING TO MOVE TO VIRGINIA BECAUSE WE NEED TO BE BEST FRIENDS FOR LIFE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA ;____; #SADBOYS

Last edited:
So I missed out on all the festivities due to lack of internet at my hotel room (I had a pre-planned trip to Dallas so I couldn't go to evo) and I just got home early this morning after a 9 hour delay. From the minor updates I got over my phone tho, it seem sage won the whole damn thing, so I say congrats, and MONEY MATCH ME SON! (no, really, don't money match me. I'm poor now, and it'd be like taking candy from a baby.)

OK HERE WEEEE GOOOOOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOO

@Choose Goose YOU'RE A BRO HOLY SHIT
@GirlyStyle *actually* MY DAD NOW #AdoptedBoys
@winnie YOU'RE RAD
@Skarmand how the fuck is it possible to look that good and play skulgirls how how how
@Duckator I AM STRAIGHT UP TAKING YOU OUT ON A DATE THE NEXT TIME WE MEET BECAUSE YOU ARE THE CUTEST MOTHERFUCKER OH MY GOD
@KhaosMuffins @Shin ATproof @Weatherbee That fucking chicken.............
@DJAzure god damn you are a nerd
oh my god

oohohoh my god
LAST BUT NOT THE FUCKING LEAST BECAUUSEEEE OOHH MY GOODDDD
@keninblack

DEADASS GOING TO MOVE TO VIRGINIA BECAUSE WE NEED TO BE BEST FRIENDS FOR LIFE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA ;____; #SADBOYS

I don't even remember saying hi to you. Because I didn't want to, plus you weren't a C U T E B O Y like you claim. So I wasn't sure who I was looking at.

But hell yeah I'm a nerd. What did you expect?

Last edited:
Yeah same I wish I had gotten up to the salty suite more cause we barely got to hang out enough. Again maybe I will go to NWM or something and then I'll be able to fix that.
How is he not just on there already like come on son did you look at him + hear him talk

Last edited:
Oh we're doing shoutouts?

Uh....

@Domo Wow I'm not ugly that was my evo highlight basically. GUYS I'M NOT UGLY! (or was it not THAT ugly because that changes everything)
@Shnarfl Fuck you for being good at mario party ;__; but it was fun.

I can't remember others, sorry.

Reactions: RAT__BABY
I also have to thank @Domo for being a trooper, as we did our best to do the ft100. Great games domo, we'll try again another time haha

Reactions: RAT__BABY
I also have to thank @Domo for being a trooper, as we did our best to do the ft100. Great games domo, we'll try again another time haha
Yo you looked like you could have done 50 more when we decided to quit #ScaredBoys

@Domo Wow I'm not ugly that was my evo highlight basically. GUYS I'M NOT UGLY! (or was it not THAT ugly because that changes everything)
Nah man you're close to a handsomelad

How is he not just on there already like come on son did you look at him + hear him talk
.....Yea, u rite *fixed*

you weren't a C U T E B O Y like you claim.
Bruh @keninblack help me out here and tell this fool he don't know shit about cuteness

Last edited:
Yo you looked like you could have done 50 more when we decided to quit #ScaredBoys

honestly I would have. My music kept me super focused and I could have kept going haha. When I took the headphones off, I became exhausted.

#musicispower

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Another EVO is in the bag. Overall I didn't do as well as I wanted too, but I have a better idea of where my strengths and weaknesses lie as a player so that's good.

Shotouts to everyone, really: @keninblack for being you, @Elda Taluda for being a great friend and getting top 3. It was nice meeting: @mcpeanuts, @Broken Loose , @Mr Peck @Broseidon Rex, @Nekro_Surge, @@PrettiestMedic, @Kit Ballard Hopaswatch and Kittay, and it was cool to chill with my dude @KhaosMuffins more even though I had already technically met you last year. Thanks again for @Mike_Z and @render and the rest of Lab Zero for their continued support of the game and the community and resisting the urge to turn to heavy drinking because of said community! :P

I'm sure there are other people I met, and if I forgot to mention you I'm sorry!

Had a really great time overall, lots of good matches and a great grand finals (grats @dekillsage ). Playing Coupe and whatever that King Arthur card game was called was a blast.

This community is truly the greatest, stay awesome you guys and I hope to see you again really soon! I'm going to try and be at CEO next year, but I'll be at EVO again next year for sure, wouldn't miss it for the world.

Canes is the fucking truth.

Shout outs to everyone that bodied me. Managed to not go 0-2 this year though! Steppin' up~

Special shoutouts to @render for being such a cool guy during the whole thing. You must have a ton of patience for being able to deal with all of this and still have fun.

I look like such a dork in every picture someone takes of me. ;_;

Reactions: Broseidon Rex