• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [Jul 11, 2014] Skullgirls Encore EVO 2014 Official Side Tournament (Las Vegas, NV)

Man, I had to breakout the word processor to write this.

My roommate @clawmaster for jumping through hoops on not adding one, but two extra days to the existing hotel reservation.

My cool roommate @KhaosMuffins for showing me Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition HD (I still don't know how to play that game).

My other cool roommate @Zidiane for helping me raid the cookies and juice in Resorts Club room (via @Datagram)

@Erreip199 AKA Pierre. Best person to hang out with at EVO. Also, for being the person who informally set up SG players dinner meetups WITHOUT A PHONE. YO, THE NO PHONE STRUGGLE IS REAL. Next year, I will hand you a phone.

My Slapfest bros @pash1k and @Datagram (and Datagram's friend Mike). Finally got to meet and hang out with my online training partners. Also, FUCK FOUR SWORDS ADVENTURES.

@Pikmario Promise me that we will never have another long set while only standing up and playing on a old laptop :) Also, for straight up bodying me in every random game we played from Kirby: Triple Deluxe to Samurai Gunn.
Also...
Dcmb4GZ.jpg

@ElkyDori Really cool to finally meet you. Hopefully, I'm considered an honorary MD boy since I still use my MD license for everything.

@Broseidon Rex for setting up the community salty suite and a very memorable Friday breakfast. Too much puns. Also, for showing how to get it done in Metal Slug 3.

@Stuff for being really cool and providing classic Stuff moments such as spilling water every time he drank some. RIP 50th Anniversary Benihana Cake.

Thursday night noodles place dinner with @worldjem, @Elda Taluda, @Merlock, @Cellsai, and some of the previously mentioned SG players.

@POS Industries for being a great guy. One day I will figure out what I want in that POS voicemail.

The rest of the people in my pools, notably cuteboy @Domo and @cloudKing211.

The mysterious mustache man I faced in top 32, and who ended up being the not-so-mysterious @RemiKz. I knew I recognized that playstyle from somewhere.

@keninblack for his warm introduction. Yo, you have the best hug in the business.

@Hopscawtch We said hi to each other very briefly. If it weren't for your streams, I would have never gotten into this community.

@dekillsage I watch you stream all the time, and when you won EVO, it hit me straight in the feels ;_; Also, if it weren't for Dekillschool, I probably would not made it out of pools.

@Negus Eyoel Another person I watch stream all the time. It was definitely nice to meet you in person. Also, for being part of the late night Fortuna dinner squad (chicken wraps and a cupcake? lol).

@Duckator for our failed Ikaruga hard co-op run. Maybe next year.

@Broken Loose While we didn't have enough time to hang out on Monday night, I'm sure we will get to hang out more in the future.

Everyone who participated in not one, but TWO SG community Nidhogg tournaments. Off of the top my head who I remember participating: @Shnarfl, @Outlaw_Spike, Tourney #1 Winner @DJAzure, and Tourney #2 Winner @Pikmario. @DJAzure vs. @Pikmario Nidhogg match needs to happen next year. Special shoutouts to whoever I played Samurai Gunn and Towerfall with.

@SHODAN for our extremely tired discussion while being near the lab zero salty suite door.

@BrandX+ for going out of his way to say hi to @pash1k and I.

@AtroxChobatsu, @akindhobo, and the rest of the pizza squad. Estimated Pizza ordering time: 4 Hours. I'm sure we will speedrun it next year (probably not).

The Smash panel that @Datagram interrupted by yelling "SKULLGIRLS!"

Whoever found out Superbook Deli had cheap, decent food. Glad I found out on the last day.

The Resorts Club for letting me mooch off of @pash1k and @Datagram. Not only were there free cookies and juice, but free wine, cheese, and booze!

And, of course, the entire SG community for not only giving me a memorable EVO experience, but giving me my first offline FGC community event experience.

Even though my heel was really damaged, and my friend was tired as hell, I wanted to tie all loose ends (Which I wasn't able to for all of them). I wanted to say hi to everyone that wanted to see me :)

Maaaaan, mothafuckas gettin' all sentimental in here?
Not gonna write a novel about it, but this Evo was definitely one of the most memorable weekends of my life. And all it's thanks to you guys.

So... anyone think we can get something happening at Summer Jam?

Just got home, my shoutout list will be short and sweet. Soon...

Oh so no shoutout to me, Spike? I see how it is.

Anyways, I recall seeing a streaming setup by Guard Break, was it? Their Twitch doesn't have an archive of the event, so I can only assume they recorded it. Anyone know when that's going up? I want to see my ass get destroyed with POS commentary.
It was more of a recording set up. I'm waiting to hear more about when the video is ready =3

It's shoutouts time! I just made the list and there are about 30 people on it so I'm going to try and be quick:

@render for putting a ridiculous amount of time and effort into running the tournament. You deserve a medal, along with everyone else who helped out at the Lab Zero booth and salty suite.

@Mike_Z for making a fantastic game and being an awesome person in general. It's a pity we can't somehow hang out more. Thanks for playing loads of casual sets against everyone and giving them advice too; everyone really seemed to take it to heart so I can't wait to see Future Pikmario, Future Skarmand and so on winning tournaments.

@Izzmo for coming all the way from Europe to play Skullgirls! Who would do something like that? It was great to meet you in person and see the face behind that dumb devil horns assist. We need to start organising some European tournaments ASAP.

@Inferno and @BrandX+: thank you guys so much for giving me and Izzmo somewhere to stay on Tuesday and Wednesday night. My initial plan for those days was to just get some sleep and try and adjust to the time difference, but instead you guys showed us Wienerschnitzel, Steak & Shake, Hot Pockets, driving around on big busy straight roads with crossroads every 100 feet, and all the other wonders of America. Better luck next time in pools Inferno, and well played in the FT100 Brand.

@Hirokuni for being an awesome local Vegas player who I hadn't even heard of before the event. Not only were you doing great with your main team, but your Peacock was doing work even though you've only just picked her up. I can't wait to see how hard you'll be destroying everyone next year.

@Broseidon Rex for organising the suite, letting me stay there, having the best hat at the event (sorry Outlaw_Spike and Taluda) and being hilarious. My performance against TJ did a pretty good job of showing that you were the best solobella in top 32.

@Domo for being a great roommate and one of my favourite people to talk to at the whole event. Thanks for telling me that I could maybe be on the cute boys list if I dressed better and for assuming that I was a 'tech player' who didn't know how to actually play the game. If it's any consolation, you're west coast so I assumed that you didn't know how to play either. Thanks for those Cat Z stickers too; I'll be getting a few of them over to @Woofly as soon as possible. Also you own this t-shirt and it's the best thing ever so thank you http://slugbox.spreadshirt.com/yes-and-please-guy-s-tee-A14834183

@Pikmario for being another cool roommate and somehow being able to play the game on that amazing handbuilt stick. You're already awesome but as I mentioned near the top of the post, I can't wait to see you destroy everyone after you level up from Mike Z's advice.

@Shnarfl for being yet another cool roommate. I didn't get a chance to talk to you a whole lot outside of the suite, but from the small amount of time we spent chatting you seem great.

@Kit Ballard for being another great roommate. It was fun chatting with you and I'm sorry you had to leave early. Let's talk more and play more casuals next year!

@Cellsai for being the best Japanese player at the event who didn't tweet about his pool being free and then delete the tweet after losing to me in pools. Your English is surprisingly good, and I love the pirate pants! Seriously though, if you ever end up back in Ireland you need to start playing in Skullbats EU again c:

@Emperor for being a great guy who I didn't get to talk to enough. Thanks for watching me in pools and I don't know what Skullgirls' equivalent of solo mid LoA/Electrician is, but I can't wait to see you come up with it.

@dekillsage for winning Evo by actually making a bunch of reads, playing smart, and paying attention to his opponents. I couldn't be happier about you winning.

@cloudKing211 for winning Evo by actually making a bunch of reads, playing smart, and paying attention to his opponents. I couldn't be happier about you winning. Seriously though, I had loads of fun in our online set earlier today and I can't wait to play a load more games in the future.

@Elda Taluda for being one of my favourite players to talk to, as well as having one of my favourite playstyles. Congrats on third place, thanks for all the Painwheel tips in the past, and I'll be bugging you for more if I decide to pick her up properly after all.

@Erreip199 for making it all the way up from Colombia. It was great hanging out with you, and I can't wait to see you again next year if you can make it. Also, $100 bounty.

@guitalex2007 + wife for having the best sticks and both being ridiculously friendly. Well played in pools, and I love your Eliza!

@Sliced_Toast + wife for also both being lovely, and for using solo Big Band in tournament. I'm glad you guys managed to just about solve your controller crisis before our pool, and it's a pity we didn't get to play more!

@Some Person for picking excellabella assist. I love that thing. Never stop using it!

@POS Industries for having the best voice and not being bad at the game either. Thanks for jumping on stage and announcing things with such little notice!

@Skarmand for having the best hair and being a peacock player. You got top 16 before Mike Z's advice on Sunday night, so at this rate you'll stomp everyone next year.

@keninblack for that Parasoul dash back, dash forward, low reset. That thing is legit. Anyway, you're hilarious and just having you around is a huge part of making Evo what it is, so thanks!

@Hopscawtch for the Updon't shirt. I love it, and I wish we had the time to talk more. There's always next year!

@RemiKz for stealthing his way into a top 32 match against me. I wish I knew it was you at the time!

@Outlaw_Spike for being legit with solo val. That doesn't look easy!

@mcpeanuts for making me laugh whenever I talk to you. Congrats on not quite taking the bait to promote GUTS during your Evo top 4 commentary.

@pash1k, @Hilary and @akindhobo for being amazing people who I didn't get to talk to nearly as much as I should have done. There's always steam, I guess c:

OK I'm finally done. Sorry to the huge amount of people who I inevitably missed out; you're all lovely too! I honestly went into Evo thinking that I'd take a short break afterwards and concentrate on other things, but the whole event just made me want to play more. Time to jump into training mode and try out Painwheel and Big Band. See you guys next year!

Last edited:
@Cellsai for being the best Japanese player at the event who didn't tweet about his pool being free and then delete the tweet after losing to me in pools. Your English is surprisingly good, and I love the pirate pants! Seriously though, if you ever end up back in Ireland you need to start playing in Skullbats EU again c:
loooooooool I didn't realize he deleted the tweet. What a nerd.

@mcpeanuts for making me laugh whenever I talk to you. Congrats on not quite taking the bait to promote GUTS during your Evo top 4 commentary.
Heh, well I wasn't gonna advertise my own thing on someone else's stream without permission. I'm not Fanatiq.

Are you implying that i do know how to play because you'd be wrong
Your play is so next-level that it doesn't count as playing SG.

I didn't really meet a lot of you since I was working the booth 90% of the time but from the people I did meet...

@Zidiane - Stay cool and humble. Always fun playing you. Bella's got some tricks. We never get paired up in tourney though. Anyways, see you next year!

@Domo - Mr Fukua, I hate you for beating me. But it's okay, losing to one of the members from the cute list is fine. It was fun finally playing another Fukua in the expert player club. Thanks for the Mike Z cat stickers too.

@ElkyDori - You took my $20, I am salty at that. You inspired me to buy a fedora as well. I will have a black one though so we can have a battle of the fedoras. But seriously, you're good. You're also very humble. You should have yelled at me after beating me since I challenged you.

yaboi @dekillsage - Got to shake your hand, but I will cherish that forever. Congrats on the W. Can't wait to actually play you whether it be casuals, money match or tourney. Just need to see what all your hype is about...

@guitalex2007 - Glad to see your dick stick in person. Truly a work of art. Your wife and I bonded quite a bit this year. I wanna see all the pics she took! Congrats on placing and beating certain people *cough cough*. You just proved a big point.

Team so cal - Don't want to list all of you but you know who you are. Thanks for making the trip out to evo to support SG.

2 big shoutouts

@keninblack - Shoutouts to this EC player for keeping his word since Oct 2013 when we decided to do our FT10. I guarantee if we did our MM back then, it would have been 10-0 in your favor. A ton has changed since then *cough Fukua my lifesaver cough* but that match was probably the greatest match in SG history so far. You are a really chill dude and I appreciate you playing me in a long set. There are only about 3 players (won't say who to not offend anyone) in the community that I actually watch and learn from and you have always been one of them. I stole so many of my tactics from your parasoul so it was finally my pleasure of meeting you and getting to play you.

@Mike_Z - What can I say that I haven't told you a million times? You literally made the game of my dreams come true and brought back that happy feeling I get in my stomach (right below my abdomen) back since 2006 mvc2. I thought that feeling was dead in 2009 but it was just hibernating. I'm gonna name that feeling after you. I don't think you get enough appreciation for how much work you actually do (listening to the community, fixing changes on the fly, dealing with Sony and MS + every person you have to talk to etc..) You wanted the game to last as long as MvC2 so you're about 1/4 of the way there already! I will be playing it just as long so I will make your dream come alive. Thanks for everything you do to make this game the best FG you could :)

Biggest shoutout
@render - I think I say this at every event and I think I post it in the tournament thread of every tournament, but this tournament wouldn't have happened as smoothly (if at all!) if it wasn't for this handsome guy. People don't realize how exhausting, frustrating, tiresome, annoying and voice straining running a tournament is. I have run plenty of small 32-man tourneys and I wanted to kill myself. Earl here has been running every SG major on the WC and still has a smile on his face at the end of the day. I am not sure how you do it or what you take to stay that pleasant but I would want to be punching people left and right when bothering me when running a 256 man bracket. You deserve some kind of award from the FGC for best TO and for being ridiculously good looking (Zoolander). Thank you for doing this Earl and sorry I used a fake name, thought you knew who Zuko was >.<

Also sorry to all that I didn't get to talk or play much if you asked me for matches. Didn't think the booth was gonna be busy for the entire 16 hours.

Thank you to all that purchased from my booth. It was great seeing people wearing last year's Evo shirt and coming to buy and support SG again and again. It means a lot to me that you are there to support and that a portion of all sales is going right back to lab zero which they were generous enough to donate right back to you guys for the pot. You guys keep the community strong!

@Domo - Mr Fukua, I hate you for beating me. But it's okay, losing to one of the members from the cute list is fine.
*I AM NOT ON THE CUTEBOY LIST, I SIMPLY CREATED IT AND MAINTAIN IT. I AM OF THE AVERAGELADS LIST*
also yeah FUCK that mirror

Oh shit, I forgot. Shoutouts to @GeneralMunoz who got shot in the face by Pierre's paper airplane throw. "OMW to shoot you" jokes will never sound the same again.

Wait, so Pierre was the one who was pegging people with paper airplanes? I took one to the face too. His throws were on point!

Reactions: Shadowstew
Oh man, so many people to shout out to, I'm sure I'd end up forgetting like 75% of them because my memory is ass. So I'll just say this. This is the first online community I've been a part of that I actually went out to physically meet, and I feel like it was a damn good first one. GGs to everyone I played, grats to Sage for the win, and thanks to everybody else for making this one hell of a weekend. I hope to see you all again, if not at another upcoming event, at the next EVO.

@ElkyDori - You took my $20, I am salty at that. You inspired me to buy a fedora as well. I will have a black one though so we can have a battle of the fedoras. But seriously, you're good. You're also very humble. You should have yelled at me after beating me since I challenged you.
That's great to hear. As you know, I do love me a good fedora. So, I'll have my white one, and you'll have a black one -- it'll be like Spy vs. Spy!

Just wanted to let you know that I put that $20 to good use. Fat stacks like that go a long way in Kentucky or wherever it is that I live now.

Reactions: Elda Taluda
Took me long enough to get to this. So here goes:
@Inferno and @BrandX+ : For allowing me to stay at their apartment for the whole event and driving me to and from the event. It was great hanging out and playing Skullgirls with both of you before Evo officially started. Also shoutouts to Inferno stealing my just-obtained star in Mario Party 2 and still placing lower than me and shoutouts to BrandX for showing me Under Night In Birth.

@Izzmo : For using Devil Horns and showing me gimmicks of that move. Also, shoutouts for knocking me out of the Eliza tourney.

@Mr Peck : First off, I love your voice so it was great talking to you. Excellent job knocking Inuchiyo into losers! Now if only I finished the job and beat Inuchiyo as well...anyways. It was also great sharing tech with you for various characters. Now we just have to remember to actually use them in a match.

@Some Person and @mcpeanuts : For being cool roommates. I wished I played more games against both of you, but oh well. There's always a next time.

@Elda Taluda : Great games when we were up at the MadCatz stage! You seemed like a great person in general, and I hope I get to play more of your Painwheel in the future.

@guitalex2007 : Good games during the Eliza tourney. I'm still not sure how I was able to beat you, but if it makes you feel any better, I think you're a much better player than I am in general.

@Zidiane : It was an honor to play your Bella early in the morning on the second day of Evo. It really sucks that you weren't able to show up earlier, but it was still great having you and I hope you enjoyed Evo as well!

@keninblack : For being an awesome guy. Also, shoutouts for playing a FT5 with me when we both didn't know the Skullgirls panel was going on at the time (oops).

@dekillsage : For winning the Skullgirls tourney of 2014! I was rooting for you from the very start and it was awesome seeing you pull through and take the crown! Now about that dekillschool session...

@render : You're a super nice dude in general, and you did an excellent job running the tourney. Props to you, I don't know how you do it. If I had your job, I probably would've died within an hour.

Also, I have to say this again. Thank you to Mariel and the other artist (I forgot her name, I'm a terrible person) for drawing Venus and Panzerfaust on the postcards that I picked up. Seriously, thank you.

@Mike_Z : Thank you for making such a great game that I know I will still be playing for years to come. I'll always be supporting you and the Lab Zero crew for as long as I'm able to!
To everyone else that attended Evo, you're all awesome and I hope you all stay awesome. I hope I get to see you all (and potential newcomers) next year!

Reactions: Mr Peck
@guitalex2007 : Good games during the Eliza tourney. I'm still not sure how I was able to beat you, but if it makes you feel any better, I think you're a much better player than I am in general.
It was the mind games that killed me.

"Well he did this low reset, so he's not going to do it again"

*gets hit by the same low reset

"Ok, now he definitely will do something else, let me try teching a throw"

"Fuck."

In any way, the whole point of me doing solo Eliza was to show off some stuff she can do, and I did even if I didn't win. Plus you and @Izzmo also have great Elizas so mission accomplished :)

Reactions: Kongk4 and Hirokuni
It was the mind games that killed me.

"Well he did this low reset, so he's not going to do it again"

"Ok, now he definitely will do something else, let me try teching a throw"

"Fuck."
*whispering sensually into ur ear* "thatsssssssssssssss the mixup"

Says the guy with the Beowulf stick.

Says the guy with the Beowulf stick.
Which reminds me...

*starts uploading a video to YouTube*

*whispering sensually into ur ear* "thatsssssssssssssss the mixup"
No mixup is the mixup? Peanuts, this is getting way too high level now.

So one of the nuances of the dickstick is that no one is ever really starting at the stick during gameplay.... Except me!

Please add sexy music and sounds. Thanks.

Reactions: Not One Of Us
Speaking of, did Tekken apologized for what they pulled this year or are they just going to brush it off.

Reactions: Jake Was Here
Speaking of, did Tekken apologized for what they pulled this year or are they just going to brush it off.
Brushing Skullgirls off is what the FGC is used to doing already so it's not a stretch.

Reactions: Jake Was Here
Respect to Markman.

He caught a lot of vitriol for something that wasn't his doing, but handled the situation very well. I hope we get to have another go at working with Madcatz again. There was miscommunication at Evo, but I think SG and MC have much to offer each other.