• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Just curious on opinions, rounds vs downs.

Which do you prefer for 1v1 format?

• Rounds (old way)

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Downs (new way)

Votes: 49 76.6%

• Total voters

PJBottoms

ImpPaCt-DaMpeNeD
Reaction score
Cerebella Peacock
I noticed in the new patch notes of SG they've changed 1v1 format to "downs" vs "rounds."

I was a lot fonder of the previous round version and just curious how others feel as well.

I prefer downs. I don't play Solo very often, but Solo matches still run faster and remind me of Vampire Savior and Killer Instinct.

Considering in all other matches other than 1v1 there was no rounds so no chance to 'start again' in the middle like in 1v1s. Its a lot more consistent with how other matches play as your forced to take up the same position you just died in similar to how your other characters jump in when playing a 3v3 for example.

Because of this I personally think it just balanced the game out a lot more which is always good.

It gets solo matches over slightly faster so they are closer to matching the speed of team SG and people don't have to wait in lobbies so long

Downs all the way.
Now give Solo ratio recoverable health and game is yet another step closer to VS #Kappa

Reactions: Compa
Downs

But who plays solos anyway am I right

Not going to decide because the game hasn't had Downs for not even a week yet, but I'd like to hear Mike's reasons for why he decided to make the change.

As long as he keeps what he showed last time of allowing the characters to move as the match restarts or whatnot I'm soooo for that it looks really more involved and nicer looking then just resetting back to default positioning every time.

At first I didn't like downs but it makes 1vs1 matches way faster and this is good for tournaments and lobbies.
Btw 1vs2 are so fast that I always wanted to have rounds/downs to it.

Reactions: Compa
Downs are more balanced than rounds, because in downs, a player who deals the most damage actually wins the match, compared to rounds. Awhile ago, I won against a really good solo peacock player in a 1v1 game, despite the fact that he dealt more damage than I did in a whole match. I guess Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat games are slower and not that balanced, since their matches are based of rounds instead of downs.

Last edited:
Seems downs is the more popular :)
I guess I just liked that rounds did make solo matches feel different from the rest of the game (2 nd 3v3). Me and a friend like to play solo matches a lot. It was almost like playing two different games but I can see how some may have wanted it to be more consistent, specially in the competitive environment.

I guess I just liked that rounds did make solo matches feel different from the rest of the game (2 nd 3v3). (...) It was almost like playing two different games
Interesting that you say that. For me it is pretty much the other way around. Previously 1v1 had the the same rules as team vs team, only with a forced ft2. Now 1v1 feels like a whole new mode, characterised by one timer yet two health bars and a "half KO" when the first one runs out.

This is perhaps besides the which-mode-is-better thing for others, but downs introduced a little detail I like. It is similar to a situation that when a worse and better player match up against each other with teams, the worse can still grab the small victory of KOing one char from his opponent's team.

Previously when the first 1v1 round showed one player is visibly better, the second round was likely not very entertaining for any of the sides - both just wanted to get it over with. Now, thanks to downs, when one player is clearly better than the other in 1v1, the worse one can aim for the mini goal of "deplete one of my opponent's health bars", and the better one, if he wishes, can aim for "KO my opponent twice without being KO'd once".

It's like a new unwritten mode of "play with a disadvantage against a less skilled player" for the better player and "defeat a super powered opponent while having double health" for the worse one. And that can very well make playing with friends (a situation where visible skill discrepancy is often a thing) more enjoyable. "I KO'd you once!" just feels more like an achievement than "I brought you down to 50% health". That being said, the change should not only make 1v1 more fair but more fun as well.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it will make it possible for you to look at the new mode in a brighter light.

Reactions: DawnHibiki
I like the new down's system very much, but I would have preferred a Jojo's Venture style down where both player's health goes back to full instead of just the loser's. It kind of sucks when I just win round 1 by the skin of my teeth and have my friend chip me to death the first second into the next round. Meter is fine the way it is though.

But if it refilled, it'd just be the round system again.

But if it refilled, it'd just be the round system again.
I thought the point using downs was to cut down on round time in 1v1? It effectively removes the transition between each part and streamlines the fight. If what Jojo does is rounds than I guess that's more the format for rounds I was looking for. Plus matches in jojo run about as long as they do in Darkstalkers so either system works fine.

Downs are cool, I'll just have to be good enough to keep my health.

Right now, downs are a lot more fun to me because of that half-second of setting up between rounds and the flow of the game feels better now that there's not a hard stop anywhere until the match is completely finished. The only little nitpick I have about it is that the characters still start their defeat quotes after the first down, but almost never finish what they're saying before the player techs and starts the new round again. I'm going to guess that MikeZ has something in the works to fix that, though. And yeah, any improvement that can made to the amount of time it takes to run a 1v1 is good.

I like the "downs" system. That's subjective but I think it looks cool. Also, less waiting, more fighting !

There is also another difference that was mentionned in another thread (I'm too lazy to find where) :

In the "rounds" system, you could have a situation where one player wins the match even tough his opponent did more damage :

If player 2 perfects player 1, then player 1 wins two rounds where player 2 brought player 1 down to 10% hp : player 1 will win the match even though he only did 2 lifebars worth of damage while his opponent did 2.8 lifebars. This can't happen in a "downs" system where the first player so deal 2 lifebars worth of damage wins.

That's the rules after all and it can happen to both sides so I'm not saying the "rounds" system is bad, but you can have weird situations sometimes.

I'm going to wait until it drops on consoles so I can play it more but right now, I really don't like downs and much prefer rounds. But whatever, I'll just stop playing SG and watch instead if I don't end up liking it. It's not a big deal.

Downs are great because I don't have to add a second character I can't use to end the match faster.
Rounds were always annoying anyway, took too damn long.

This isn't a major point, but I think another thing that also hurt the Rounds system was actually the lack of victory poses. Since those animations would play more frequently in 1v1s, little things like that could make Rounds feel more monotonous during long sets. I think the Downs system not only improves the balance of match pacing between modes, but also the usage of assets.

I like the pacing of the down system much better, but I'd like to see a mechanic where the winner would get a bit more reward for depleting their opponent's health. I don't think giving them back full heath is a good idea, but maybe a KoF-like system where they get back some health depending on certain conditions?

I like the pacing of the down system much better, but I'd like to see a mechanic where the winner would get a bit more reward for depleting their opponent's health. I don't think giving them back full heath is a good idea, but maybe a KoF-like system where they get back some health depending on certain conditions?

I actually sort of like this idea. It would make downs more enjoyable, for me at least.

After talking to some others it seems the more competitive side likes downs while rounds are the preferred methods of more casual players. Interesting.
I can see both sides though, the competitive side wanting more reward for beating their opponent down, while the more casual player seems more interested in having more of a "comeback" chance with rounds and starting with "equal" health.

Downs, for sure. I used to ignore 1v1 when it was just rounds, now I actively goad the friends I play online with to play 1v1s on occasion. I feel that if you have a game that has the potential to be played as a 2v2, 3v3 or some other permutation of those, you should go with downs over rounds, to keep the matches going. That's like the one thing the PS1 port of Marvel vs. Capcom 1 got right.

Downs. Rounds are obselete, they have been since Vampire Savior. Instead of a big pause and complete break in the action the match flows continuously. Doing a lot of damage is rewarded, and people are more likely to try 110%, rather than feel they are getting crushed and give up a round. Cause every bit of damage matters in downs.
There are no advantages to rounds.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. I feel like rounds fit well in games with slower paces. The SF4 games would've been weird with downs.

After talking to some others it seems the more competitive side likes downs while rounds are the preferred methods of more casual players. Interesting.
I can see both sides though, the competitive side wanting more reward for beating their opponent down, while the more casual player seems more interested in having more of a "comeback" chance with rounds and starting with "equal" health.

That's interesting. My interpretation of the situation is the opposite in the sense that I feel a lot of people are enjoying the new 1v1 downs because they don't actually play solos seriously and so they're just enjoying the faster pacing of matches.

Then there are the people who think "The winner should be the one who deals the more damage", who I don't really think fully understand the purpose of rounds and by extension, the purpose of best out of 3s, best out of 5s, FT5+s, etc. I could explain if I had time but really, I'm only here as an observer. I'm not interested in changing anyone's opinions on anything.

I was super skeptical, and I initially was probably more for the old way.

But after playing them, I really like them.

I am curious how Peacock deals with them. As a PW, it is a mixed blessing. I want to stay close, and I largely can... but my priority is so shitty that it is a risk starting around in their face.

I would prefer if it was an option from the Lobby so we could choose downs versus rounds. Not a fan of the change, mainly just because I'm used to the old way with all of my fighting games so we'll see in time if that changes.

Chrono_Tata said:
Yeah, I was just thinking this the other day. I couldn't give a number, but maybe restore a % of health on a round win?

I like Downs, but one thing is bothering me.
It feels like second round is always going in winner's favor.
Is like in second round loser already playing third round, when winner only first.

In close game there is like 3-4 hits to kill your opponent in second round, when your opponent can use his chance to make a full combo on you, and he have nothing to lose (not even helf of combo need to kill him).

I think winner's life should be added as a "bonus life", that will be used in 3rd round, and in second round both players should be with full HP.

Smells cheesy every time when you got one-hit HP and landing first hit on your opponent in second round :)

Last edited:
Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
I would prefer if it was an option from the Lobby so we could choose downs versus rounds. Not a fan of the change, mainly just because I'm used to the old way with all of my fighting games so we'll see in time if that changes.

I was also wondering why they didn't make it an option, since it's a huge change for people who like to play 1v1 (such as me). It wouldn't hurt anyone to have two match types to choose from.

Why does it seem like a significant amount of people in this thread who claim they like the downs, but want them to "be balanced", don't actually understand the point of downs?

I always hated solo matches because it was so damn long and it was annoying. It's much better now.

Reactions: Professor Icepick
Why does it seem like a significant amount of people in this thread who claim they like the downs, but want them to "be balanced", don't actually understand the point of downs?

SG community doesn't understand anything about fighting games. =/

Reactions: DDB
Yeah, this needs to be quoted here.
MikeZ said:
Downs is there to make 1v1 FASTER. It does this in a number of ways: There is one timer (99sec once), there are a maximum of 2 lifebars instead of 3 (not refilling winner's health), and there is less of a wait between fighting. If there were 1 timer and it refilled your life every time, there would be many time-overs; and if there was new life AND timer every Down then it would be back to 5 minutes per 1v1 match.
Source: Mike's comment under this announcement.

I like the pace and effect on time, but I hate the impact it has on momentum. Skullgirls is already momentum-heavy; even the slightest difference in skill will utterly collapse someone's game, and I don't think bonus life from the first round will do anything but compound that.

I would be frustrated when I'm on the losing side of it, and have less fun when I'm on the winning side of it.

If I had to choose between the two as mutually exclusive options, I would choose rounds, even if it's at the cost of matches taking longer. I'm well aware of the impact this would have on long/big brackets or even matches waiting in lobbies.

Again, I like what it does for running time and pacing, but keeping life just irks me. I don't like that a bad opener or something unreadable/lucky determines more in a bigger scope than that of a single round/lifebar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calypsx
Hmm okay here's a quick question that I'm confused on, do downs matter for all fights including 1vs.1-3, 2vs.1-3, 3vs. 1-3 or do downs only account for 1 on 1's or can rounds be for multiple groups?

Yeah, I was just thinking this the other day. I couldn't give a number, but maybe restore a % of health on a round win?
In KoF, the amount of health recovered between rounds by the winner depends on how much time is left on the clock in the previous round. Basically, the faster you beat your opponent, the more life you get back.

Another option I can think of is giving solo characters red health and then giving back the winner their red health back between downs. That's probably a terrible idea balance-wise though. I haven't really thought about it.