• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

KOF XIII STEAM EDITION

gllt

On my own
Reaction score
Steam
gllt
I'm new to this game. I like it.

Do any of you play it?

Do you have a preferred team?

I would like to find some other players like me who are new to it and transitioning from other fighters unlike KOF.

As well as anyone who plays it regardless of those things I just said!

I'm willing to share any experience I gain in the best way I can as wisdom to help anyone else that's learning something I am learning or have learned. I think it's fun and rewarding to train with others.

Please smear me all over the stage with your fancy CD cross up hyper hop command grab HD cancel ex dm max cancel neo "Elisabeth execution is insane" air fireball stun loop anywhere juggle. I need to git gud.

I dont have the steam version, but I do still play the console version.

Reactions: gllt
That's fine too! I will make it clear that all owners of any version are welcome to discuss things in this thread.

that being said, I love playing as leona. I know she's nowhere near the higher tiers, but she has all the tools I want to play as someone to likes to keep distance and attack when I need to.

I also like Terry, Raiden, Kyo (both versions), Shen, Kula, King, and Elizabeth. I pretty much pick 2 from that list with Leona.

I love the game, but I still don't know if the PC netcode is an improvement over the consoles. I live in Estonia and I get a 4 bar connection with Finnish players, but it was 2 or 3 bars when playing with French, Norwegian or Moscow players. Maybe I'm still a scrub at this game, but it feels slow after SG's netcode. My opponents still pull of HD combos on me, so I don't know if it's me not being used to KOF's space or it's the netcode.

I like king but it looks like she's kinda resource intensive where does she usually go one a team? I auppose that I'm only really looking at her trials so her neutral game might be focused on tk'd fireballs (looks like air fireballs are better). It's just a guess though.

I don't think I am going to play this game very seriously, but I got it as a gift so whatever.

I like king but it looks like she's kinda resource intensive where does she usually go one a team? I auppose that I'm only really looking at her trials so her neutral game might be focused on tk'd fireballs (looks like air fireballs are better). It's just a guess though.

I don't think I am going to play this game very seriously, but I got it as a gift so whatever.
I've seen people use her either on point and play her as a keepaway character or put her 2nd. EVO 2013 KOF13 Finals had some King players.

And here's a good King tutorial.

I forgot to mention I also like to use

RAW-BERT.

Didn't even realize this thread actually existed until today. Click the link in my signature and add me if you want to play, I'm on KoF for at least a hours everyday, if not more.

I play this game roughly once a week at best. I can only imagine how much investment is needed to become moderately competent

because I want to be there.

I play this game roughly once a week at best. I can only imagine how much investment is needed to become moderately competent

because I want to be there.
We should play sometime! Add me on steam, I'm on the east coast

oh hey! I am relatively new and transitioning from skullgirls, so I think we would be right around the same skill level.
Feel free to add me and message me almost any evening and we can play some!
I play Mai, Saiki, Shen
but shen is kinda difficult for me and I'm thinking about switching him though. Love my on-point kunoichi, though <3

oh hey! I am relatively new and transitioning from skullgirls, so I think we would be right around the same skill level.
Feel free to add me and message me almost any evening and we can play some!
I play Mai, Saiki, Shen
but shen is kinda difficult for me and I'm thinking about switching him though. Love my on-point kunoichi, though <3
Added you so we can play sometime! Do you live in the US? If so, do you live West Coast, Central, or East Coast?

Added you so we can play sometime! Do you live in the US? If so, do you live West Coast, Central, or East Coast?
Awesome!
I live in Indiana. I'll be free like all night past 6:30 if you wanna do some games.

No new-to-KOF thread is complete without this:

No new-to-KOF thread is complete without this:

aye, I watched that seconds after i bought the game and it helped tons. ^^

Yeah I play this more than Skullgirls (<_< >_>).
Ryo, King, and Maxima in that order. The reason I play this more is because I want to compete in this game. I've been playing all KoF since '96.

Anyone playing this? I'd like to get into it.

A few questions:

How is the execution? If the trials are any indicator... holy... shit...

How does one put together a team? Since they fight independently ie no assist calls, I have no idea what I'm looking for putting a team together.

How is the balance? I feel like I see a lot of the same characters when I watch tournaments (Mr. Karate, Benimaru).

@ClarenceMage Calling you in since you're the one that kind of rekindled my interest.

@ClarenceMage Calling you in since you're the one that kind of rekindled my interest.

1. The trials past number 5 or so are just hard for the sake of hard. Efficient bnbs are generally pretty easy. Certain HD combos can be challenging, but most of the execution in the game is just making accurate directional inputs. It's character dependant, really. If you have trouble with timing specials on reversal or drive cancel, do the ~BUTTON HOLD TRICK~ where if you're doing a special, holding down the button when you complete the motion lets you buffer it for 10 frames.

2. If learning, give no fucks about team composition and just learn characters. However, once you feel like you need to optimise, then there is just one reason to give a fuck about team orders - Meter.

Character 1 starts with 0 meter of either super or HD, and can only hold up to 3 bars of Super meter. Character 2 can hold 4 bars, character 3 can hold 5 bars.

So, what you want from Character 1 is a character who functions well without meter, and gives opponents who HAVE no meter major troubles, or preferably both. Mr Karate, King, Duo Lon are fantastic here. Mr Karate is a special mention because he also has the added bonus of being really meter efficient as well so if you're winning you can just blow your meter for kills without being concerned.

When your second character comes in, you will -probably- have nearly a full HD bar due to your first character dying. Characters in all positions can only hold 2 stocks of drive(which is 100% of a drive meter). So, I believe putting a character who gets a lot of bang for their drive with a low amount of meter is optimal here, so characters like Takuma, Benimaru and Yuri are great here.

Generally on anchor this is where you put your meter whore. I prefer it to be a character with ridiculous EX moves or Supers since they are able to hold the most, like Vice, Kim, Shen.

There are no hard and fast rules that you must obey here, since your meter expenditure will suit your personal play style, you might want to have a character who blows their load

3. The balance is -actually- really good, it's just that high level kof players are tier whores because they want to play with the best characters available to them. KoF characters are easy to learn once you already know a few, since they utilise similar fundamental game plans, so you rarely will find high level character loyalists in KoF. If you want to see high level players who doesn't use pure top tier characters, look up Misterio or Hee San Woo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spencer
How does one put together a team? Since they fight independently ie no assist calls, I have no idea what I'm looking for putting a team together.
I would say try each character out. if you like grapplers, try out the grapplers, keepaway? try them out. shoto? try them out. hell, some of the characters I use in teams have no synergy, but I still love to play them. in fact, my favorite character to play as is in bottom tier.

Leona Heidern
Leona_sprite.gif

Reactions: Spencer
I don't know where mine fall. But I really like Elisabeth, Athena, Ash, Vice, Duo Lon and probably a few more.

Elisabeth is really cool. awesome teleports and she only has 2 special moves. Duo Long is a character a lot of people use. Ash I would say is the least fun to face, only because imagine guile but more pressure since charge moves take no time at all.

I will definitely say try out Ralf and Clark. they're pretty fun grapplers. Clark isn't known as the great equalizer for nothing.

Elizabeth has 5 special moves.

Ralf is not a grappler in KoF13.

Sanoblaze, pls.

I always thought Ralf was a grappler like Clark. my bad, guess it shows how much I've played of Ralf (I just know a lot of people like both of the Ikari Warriors) and I was also going by the best friends' information. in my defense though a lot of her specials are teleport variants, so.... make what you will with that.

She has a palm move that stops projectiles, a command grab, a horizontal DP like I-No's STBT, A counter... all of them that can be done without teleporting. Oh, and she can teleport/command dash both forward and back, and do the above moves out of them.

senoblez pls

I'd play but the newer graphics card that is pretty much better than my old 8500 can't run KoFXIII but can run Skullgirls with stages.

What

senoblez pls
tumblr_myaqbl5cev1r96x1xo1_400.png

I havent played the game in forever. only because I own the console version and I know for a fact my PC will not be able to handle any game past 2008. it can barely handle SG and even then it really doesn't like it.

is Duck King back in this series yet
No. They only brought back the fan favorites and Hwa Jai.

No. They only brought back the fan favorites and Hwa Jai.
Well I mean it's not like Rugal is back. How is it only fan favorites? :P

but everyone loves Duck King
I haven't met a single person that doesn't love Duck King

but everyone loves Duck King
I haven't met a single person that doesn't love Duck King
And that theme? ohmagawd

Granted I need to play him because I know poodoo about his playing style, but dat theme

What console is this most popular on? It seems half dead on steam.

AFAIK it sold better on PS3 then 360. Not sure about Steam, but that version does have significantly improved netcode.

Steam version has Actually Playable netcode, and has players, but you'll be matchmaking through steam contacts or people you know. KoF is primarily offline scene.

Steam version has Actually Playable netcode, and has players, but you'll be matchmaking through steam contacts or people you know. KoF is primarily offline scene.
And I'm in the worst area for that possible... South East Coast, but not Florida south. ;-;