• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Local Coop Arcade Mode (Mode request)

Karlaaldana

Artist and Semi-profesional (not at all) Squigler.
Reaction score
Squigly Filia Eliza
I know this might been addressed in some time in the past...but I would love to have the possibility of having local coop on the arcade mode , team vs team ,or team vs one player...(making a 4 player game).

I come from this backround:
Every time I play with friends it's always frustrating for them to play against me , they (and me) would rather play in the same team against other teams (AI or human).

I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of how the game works in a deeper level , and I don't know how hard could it be to add this into the game.
That's why I created this thread.

I would suggest every time you triggered a tag in , should detect the second controller as the first player so that way you could do some sort of coop play... even with a team of 3 characters..

(Could this be achievable by using xpadder or some similar software?)

Reactions: zarkingphoton
If one of you uses the keyboard and the other one a gamepad, you can just let the other one control the character when you tag in. As far as I've seen, both controls are normally assigned to Player 1 at the same time, so it should work.
If you both want to use a controller, you could try using a program like JoytoKey and assign to the buttons of the 2nd controller the keys on the keyboard. I don't know if that would work though.

I support this request vehemently. I'm in fact surprised the game does not have the option for two (or more) players to participate in the same team co-operatively be default. Seems almost... illogical.

It shouldn't be that hard to patch the game to make for the controls to move to a second player when team mates tag, should it?

don't know how the game would handle it with full teams, but having 2 players, each controlling a character seems amazing!

I would be 100% behind this, not only would it be great fun I think it would also be a great way to introduce friends to the game

Reactions: Karlaaldana
And it shouldnt be that difficult to implement.. and it could even work with a 3 character team; just have them control the assist character when they switch the active character, it should also have a way to lock a character to a determinated controller...

For example:

Me and my friend are playing a coop match.. the team is Squigly, Filia and Eliza... He can switch active characters whenever he/she wants to, that way both players can use all team!

They could also add the option to lock the character to certain controller so the other player controls the other two whenever they active.

Thiiiiiis sounds like the best thing ever
I wish we could make the word heard... so far nobody has seen this since NOVEMBER 2013!

That's a real shame... This sounds like an amazing idea, since I can't think of too many fighting games that do this besides MK9.
When I had this idea I was recently playing MK9 with my friends.

Reactions: Rynozilla
The Dead or Alive series had something like this. Basically a tag out could be performed by either the person fighting or the teammate that was not currently fighting.

Would definitely create some interesting concepts for tournaments -- Imagine super specialized players forming teams with other super specialized players, rather than the status quo where you have to master more than one character in order to be competitive.

This brings me way back. Back in the day, I used to literally tag in my buds at the arcade, playing X-men vs Street Fighter, or Marvel vs Capcom 1.

Too bad throwing the controller at your friend doesn't evoke quite the same emotion. Neither does wrapping your arms around your tournament partner in a tender embrace.

I would think that just letting you bind two controllers to the same player would be the simplest method, no? If the game could support this? The JoyToKey suggestion sounds like it would work.

Don't ever say "this sounds easy".

Arcade mode currently doesn't even have a second player bound, so it would have to be a separate mode with the controller config screen first. It ain't easy.

It also sounds like fun, so it may happen. But it ain't easy.

Reactions: Karlaaldana
Sorry boss, genuinely. I never meant to come across that way. Hence all the question marks, and the strict avoidance of the word "easy".

I admit it was ignorant to try and suggest a method for doing something, when I have no idea how the guts of this game work. As if I have any idea what method would be simpler than alternative methods. I sincerely meant that to be helpful (and a big if), but it's easy to forget how much of that shit you must get already.

Last edited:

Arcade mode currently doesn't even have a second player bound, so it would have to be a separate mode with the controller config screen first. It ain't easy.

It also sounds like fun, so it may happen. But it ain't easy.

I'm glad this idea sounds fun to you!, it would make for an interesting tournamet experience.
(it would also fit with the whole Beowulf-wrestling update)

Every time I play with friends it's always frustrating for them to play against me

Side note- I think that's part of why they implemented Typing of the Skullgirls, so as to offer a different playing field between people of different skill.

Side side note- That reminds me of this one time my friend and I did Typing against the arcade- my friend was a pretty good, if somewhat, uh, "chaotic" Valentine, and I could type, so we had some good fun that way.

That's a real shame... This sounds like an amazing idea, since I can't think of too many fighting games that do this besides MK9.
Street Fighter x Tekken
But we all know how well that game was received.