• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA Looking for California SG Tournament Organizers for new gaming venue in Orange County

dharper7

Reaction score
Beowulf
Greetings SkullHeart Community!

My name is Danny Harper, and I am the Community Manager at the Oomba Tournament Center, an all-new competitive gaming venue in Orange County, CA.

We are currently on the lookout for a California-based Skullgirls Tournament Organizer who can rally the community and run kick-ass events at our venue. Our payment structure for TO's is commission-based, which means the more people you bring in, the more money you will make! We typically take a flat venue cut off of the top, and the rest is yours to delegate as you wish.

TO's have full branding rights for the event, along with the ability to sell merchandise and raffle tickets (we just handle the food and drinks)

Oomba provides TO's the following:
-30 high-end PCs
-several consoles w/ large flatscreens
-144hz BenQ monitors
-live-streaming production booth (with HD capture cards, mic's, monitors, etc..)
-several spectators screens
-fully stocked snack/drinks section

We also help promote and advertise the event on our end, which includes social media posts, and high-quality promo posters from our excellent art team.

We are hoping to run several Skullgirls events over the next 6 months (and beyond), so if you are interested in this opportunity, please reply to this thread, direct message me, or send an email to danny@oomba.com.

Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

Regards,
Danny Harper
Oomba Community Manager

compton_zpsoltu1v6q.jpg

10991567_821741044557766_1092676264047671623_o_zps4ikdf6qy.jpg
10991567_821741044557766_1092676264047671623_o_zps4ikdf6qy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

lucky_zps1srf2v83.jpg

10989199_828001163931754_2827543913332462419_o.jpg

11217572_871086099623260_3209391329060196382_o.jpg

That's uh oddly closer to where I live than ugc is. (but only by 20mins) If something goes on at a reasonable date and time I can probably go to whatever these are.

Now if the venue is $5 how much of that would you be taking? Actually can the TO even set that price? If not what's the venue fee usually?
What if the numbers are low? What's the amount of people you're looking for minimally? Does the number of people that go even matter?
Do the consoles there have sg and the dlc installed? What consoles are there? Should we supply our own consoles with sg and the dlc?
If I were to run a paid tournament (say an extra $3 per person to make a pot) would you take some of that as well 'cause normally the tourney fee is the pot for the split amongst the 3 winning players and it would suck to have some of the pot go towards the venue too.

That said I can't TO this (or maybe I can but I'd rather not especially if we need to bring our own consoles of which I have none) but these are my questions.

Actually I might be able to this if these questions were to be answered because after all I can't go blindly into this but maybe someone else will instead. Like Weatherbee since he's in that area.

Edit: Oh and hours and days open would be handy but it is in a mall (unless you're outside of the mall) so I'm assuming whenever the mall opens and closes.

Which would be these hours:
Mon - Fri : 10am - 9pm
Sat : 10am - 7pm
Sun : 11am - 7pm

Usually later hours are better so these times make me kinda sad.

Last edited:
Paging @Weatherbee. Isn't this in your area? Make a tourney happen or something. :D
Iiiiiiiit's.... actually still a bit of a distance from me, especially depending on what times I'd have to go there. I'd have to run across busier freeways in Orange extending my journey and gas usage. If Stuff's times are accurate that is likely. Especially for someone currently unemployed I don't think TO fees would cover that at all x.x.

Speaking of time, that is a major concern. We generally run late into the night as that is the availability for most people and a selling point, especially with people traveling from all over. Oxnard, Nether regions of LA, VICTORVILLE. A large portion of our player base resides a decent distance away, making early times not feasible for many. Although I'd be curious to see if any other players besides me and Dawn are hiding in Orange County. Sound off in this thread if you're out there folks as that would be useful for this! Pretty much refer to Stuff's post, those are all very relevant questions and concerns.

Generally a $5-$7 venue fee is what we pay as its the affordable rate for just about everyone to come congregate and play casuals. Tourney fees vary depending on how everyone is feeling. $3 is kind of the standard for that. Most of the time we just do a free tourney. Once again affordability always being something to take into account.

I'm probably... dissuading this idea but these are very real things to think about. I can't say I could act as a TO either as my current situation ain't so great. This event would also need to not interfere with current SG events already in place such as Salty every Friday in LA, and (hopefully) eventually the return of Rebel Up run by Super Arcade on Saturdays. These will alternate every week so as an example:

Week 1 - Salty
Week 2 - RU
Week 3 - Salty
Week 4 - RU (not necessarily in that exact sequence).

For the time being Salty is holding it down as a weekly.

Was really hoping this was in a more central location of Orange D: . I am interested to see if there are secret players residing in Orange County, though! That aside, I can't say if I'd be of any use at the moment. If you have more questions or concerns on your end, let us know.

Last edited:
That's uh oddly closer to where I live than ugc is. (but only by 20mins) If something goes on at a reasonable date and time I can probably go to whatever these are.

Now if the venue is $5 how much of that would you be taking? Actually can the TO even set that price? If not what's the venue fee usually?
What if the numbers are low? What's the amount of people you're looking for minimally? Does the number of people that go even matter?
Do the consoles there have sg and the dlc installed? What consoles are there? Should we supply our own consoles with sg and the dlc?
If I were to run a paid tournament (say an extra $3 per person to make a pot) would you take some of that as well 'cause normally the tourney fee is the pot for the split amongst the 3 winning players and it would suck to have some of the pot go towards the venue too.

That said I can't TO this (or maybe I can but I'd rather not especially if we need to bring our own consoles of which I have none) but these are my questions.

Actually I might be able to this if these questions were to be answered because after all I can't go blindly into this but maybe someone else will instead. Like Weatherbee since he's in that area.

Edit: Oh and hours and days open would be handy but it is in a mall (unless you're outside of the mall) so I'm assuming whenever the mall opens and closes.

Which would be these hours:
Mon - Fri : 10am - 9pm
Sat : 10am - 7pm
Sun : 11am - 7pm

Usually later hours are better so these times make me kinda sad.

Hey Stuff,

--The official mall hours DO NOT apply to our store. Our normal operating hours are 10am-10pm on the weekdays, and 10-12am on Friday and Saturday. We can also stay open as late as needed if a tournament runs long....basically, store/mall hours mean nothing!

-The venue fee/entry fee is negotiable (tends to vary with each game) so we can nail down the best overall rate for the community and TO. That said, the venue fee is usually $5 for FGC tourneys. We are currently creating a TO contract, which I will certainly discuss with those who are serious about organizing an event. Let me know what you think is fair for a SkullGirls event, and we can work to find good common ground.

-We have Skullgirls on all of our PCs (w/ DLC) and 360's (w/o DLC), but we have yet to upgrade to PS4 and Xbones (which WILL happen soon). If PS4 is preferred, you need to bring your own set-ups for the short-term.

-The numbers for the tournaments will ideally be 20+, but if it is low, we will just calculate prize pool based on how many people there are. For the first few events, a well-run tourney is more important to us than a huge turnout...but I am sure we can do both!

Let me know if I need to further clarify anything. Thanks again for the questions, Stuff

-Danny

Ah thanks for answering, Danny.

I'm not sure how PC will fare, I don't mind it personally since the game is complete on gameplay. I mean as long as all the specs are the same I don't think it matters (although there may be some issues with DS3 users) but the tournament standard is ps3 and I'm not sure if the ps4 version feels any different although the few times Mike brought the ps4 build I didn't notice much a difference if any. I'm also very happy to hear you're open late! I was worried for a sec.

I guess another question I have is will there be other games/tournaments to participate in because it's always fun to participate in other games if they're there. (The sg community is usually okay with also playing 'anime' fighting games but it not limited to that of course) I'm mostly asking as a potential customer. I guess another thing that I worry about is space I wouldn't want people to feel cramped you know?

We can use this thread as a an interest check of sorts so if anyone near the OC area would like to join these please say so! Also including when you can show up would be great but I'm assuming most people who would like to go would like it to be Fri-Sun, but hey list out what day and time you can show up this way we can get something organized. So let's give it a shot!

Or maybe making another thread would be ideal. I dunno we'll see.

If you don't have a means of transportation you can always say what city you're in and maybe someone's route can take a short detour to pick you up. (of course if they choose to) Who knows maybe someone has a car but they can't afford the trip because of gas or something and splitting gas allows that person to go, you don't know 'til you try.

Thanks again for answering my concerns.

Edit: Gah I also forgot to ask about the frequency of these tournaments monthly, weekly or bi weekly. but really as long as it's not competing with our current weekly 'Salty' (Every Friday usually) it should be fine.

Last edited:
Ah thanks for answering, Danny.

I'm not sure how PC will fare, I don't mind it personally since the game is complete on gameplay. I mean as long as all the specs are the same I don't think it matters (although there may be some issues with DS3 users) but the tournament standard is ps3 and I'm not sure if the ps4 version feels any different although the few times Mike brought the ps4 build I didn't notice much a difference if any. I'm also very happy to hear you're open late! I was worried for a sec.

I guess another question I have is will there be other games/tournaments to participate in because it's always fun to participate in other games if they're there. (The sg community is usually okay with also playing 'anime' fighting games but it not limited to that of course) I'm mostly asking as a potential customer. I guess another thing that I worry about is space I wouldn't want people to feel cramped you know?

We can use this thread as a an interest check of sorts so if anyone near the OC area would like to join these please say so! Also including when you can show up would be great but I'm assuming most people who would like to go would like it to be Fri-Sun, but hey list out what day and time you can show up this way we can get something organized. So let's give it a shot!

Or maybe making another thread would be ideal. I dunno we'll see.

If you don't have a means of transportation you can always say what city you're in and maybe someone's route can take a short detour to pick you up. (of course if they choose to) Who knows maybe someone has a car but they can't afford the trip because of gas or something and splitting gas allows that person to go, you don't know 'til you try.

Thanks again for answering my concerns.

Edit: Gah I also forgot to ask about the frequency of these tournaments monthly, weekly or bi weekly. but really as long as it's not competing with our current weekly 'Salty' (Every Friday usually) it should be fine.

-We will not be getting any PS3's, so if PC does not work for everyone, we should just have a few people bring in their consoles for the time being (we can still use the BenQ monitors though...)

-As for additional games, we can certainly run several tournaments on the same night. We have had Guilty Gear, Persona, and a few other games here recently (also in a multi-game tourney). Let me know what your favorites are, and we can do a few if that will bring more people in. We are actually on the lookout for TO's for the other anime-style games, so if someone can handle two or more, then that's just more money in their pocket!

-As for space, we have a capacity of 150 (just fire code though, we can actually fit more), and there is spillover room in the mall itself. Space should never be a problem.

-The frequency of the tournament is solely based on the demand. We can start with a monthly, and then go weekly/bi-weekly. Friday night is off the table b/c of the other weekly, so give me your best nights and we can go from there.

Once again, if you are local or just able to attend a tourney should it happen, sound off in this thread. Just say Hi or /wave or anything! Trying to gauge interest. Give the thread a poke!

Ill be down to go, its 10 miles closer with much better freeway options for me ( pomona/west Covina).

This is in Laguna Beach right? If so this is very close to me.
Laguna Hills, but probably just about the same distance regardless.