• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Majeh's Diary of Trying not to Suck as Much with Filia

Majeh

Reaction score
Steam
Majeh (S`A)
Filia Cerebella Parasoul
Been meaning to make a diary but didn't feel like typing cause I'm lazy. Anywho, let's begin. In the beginning, there was me being bodied by everyone. Though I did do the tutorials I still really sucked. Then I got better at blocking but I still got rekt from not being able to inflict much damage. After looking around the forums and learning much about the game and it's mechanics I looked into a combo that would be easy enough for me to do. I started doing a lot better than before until I came upon a certain #FukuaTwerkTeam who tore my Filia apart and told me mine sucks in pretty much every way, saying my combo/Filia wasn't really menacing at all.

From there I learned a better midscreen bnb and a corner bnb, as well as improving my movement. A while later and another match with #FukuaTwerkTeam he told me I had improved some. Even still I wouldn't consider my Filia great by any means. Sure I can beat a lot of players but I can still get beaten easily by many players, especially those who really know how to play Filia. After talking to/playing against Skarmand and WhyIDie? a bit they told me that while I'm okay with her, I should really learn some resets. As WhyIDie? told me "Filias live and die by them". That and learning some burst baits as well as working on my cross/mix ups.

And that about brings anyone who reads this up to speed with where I'm at.

Currently I'm trying to learn some resets and trying to figure out how to work with them to keep up the pressure/damage. I already knew two which has helped a little. One being a j.hk right after hitting the ground and the other being c.mp into jump adc grab which I have a hard time timing correctly.

Another thing I realized a while ago and have been too lazy to work on until now are my IADs. I would always hit over twice for my air dashes. Really for me at least it's worked well enough for pretty much everything, except my IADs. I got into a bad habit of hitting j.hk when I would jump and then dash so I wouldn't go too high up in the air, and after a short while doing that can get pretty predictable. So now while I've been looking into resets I'm also practicing my IADs using two p's now since it does work much better.

Been meaning to make a diary but didn't feel like typing cause I'm lazy. Anywho, let's begin. In the beginning, there was me being bodied by everyone. Though I did do the tutorials I still really sucked. Then I got better at blocking but I still got rekt from not being able to inflict much damage. After looking around the forums and learning much about the game and it's mechanics I looked into a combo that would be easy enough for me to do. I started doing a lot better than before until I came upon a certain #FukuaTwerkTeam who tore my Filia apart and told me mine sucks in pretty much every way, saying my combo/Filia wasn't really menacing at all.

From there I learned a better midscreen bnb and a corner bnb, as well as improving my movement. A while later and another match with #FukuaTwerkTeam he told me I had improved some. Even still I wouldn't consider my Filia great by any means. Sure I can beat a lot of players but I can still get beaten easily by many players, especially those who really know how to play Filia. After talking to/playing against Skarmand and WhyIDie? a bit they told me that while I'm okay with her, I should really learn some resets. As WhyIDie? told me "Filias live and die by them". That and learning some burst baits as well as working on my cross/mix ups.

And that about brings anyone who reads this up to speed with where I'm at.

Currently I'm trying to learn some resets and trying to figure out how to work with them to keep up the pressure/damage. I already knew two which has helped a little. One being a j.hk right after hitting the ground and the other being c.mp into jump adc grab which I have a hard time timing correctly.

Another thing I realized a while ago and have been too lazy to work on until now are my IADs. I would always hit over twice for my air dashes. Really for me at least it's worked well enough for pretty much everything, except my IADs. I got into a bad habit of hitting j.hk when I would jump and then dash so I wouldn't go too high up in the air, and after a short while doing that can get pretty predictable. So now while I've been looking into resets I'm also practicing my IADs using two p's now since it does work much better.
that bnb you did one (i'm FukuaTwerkTeam or you can just shorten it to FTT) has alot of reset points. just saying

I've gotten better at doing air resets, need to work on ground resetO)vs for those with better air mobility and getting burst baits without dropping them before it gets to the burst bait itself. WhyIDie? had given me a few paragraphs about neutral game for Filia mirrors a couple days ago, actually played a couple matches with him earlier and managed to win around 5-6 of them and he said my neutral and offensive game is decent but I need to work on my defense more. I still end up getting hit a lot by Filia's j.hk crossups and I need to work on teching throw resets.

FTT said I should work on neutral, to combos, to approaches, to actually thinking about what I'm doing and what the other person is doing in-game. I've at least gotten better with my neutral game against another Filia, possibly in general too because of it. I think my gameplay against Filia overall is better but there's always room for improvement.

Combos could use some more consistently, sometimes I'll hit buttons I don't mean to and either drop the combo, mess up a reset or burst bait, or cause one I didn't want and get burst away. I've been looking into a couple different combos so that they're not always the same and I can at least try to have more options for reset/bursts but I do need to spend more time in the lab working on them so I don't mess them up as much and get punished for it or lose my momentum.

Approaches could definitely use some work which I might say ties in to the whole thinking in-game part. Some characters I have an easier time with (usually) like Peacock and Squiggly. I think my approaches for painwheel are okay but when I mess up I tend to get punished with her air super. BB I think I'm okay against, I don't have too hard of a time trying to get in. Sometimes I have a harder time trying to get in against Ms. Fortune, but I've found someone I could practice with for working on that. Fukua and Parasoul I think I have the hardest time against. Fukua's clones can be really annoying and if I do get close I end up getting hit with her j.hk. Parasoul in general has always been annoying for me because of her tears and her j.hp

Being conscious about what is going on in the game is another thing I need to work on. Many times have I done something and then immediately tell myself, "Why did I do that? It did not help me out what-so-ever and now I'm taking a beating for it." I'll think about needing to get in but not think about the consequences of landing in a particular spot after landing and so on. As FTT told me, "I know filia is braindead but you don't have to be."

Overall I feel like I'm getting better, I've been actively looking into what I need to improve and doing what I can to actually do that.

If you're struggling to get in on Parasoul, try staying a bit out of range of her normals but close enough that an IAD is threatening to induce her to back up. Then calmly move forward without pressing buttons (other than maybe an assist call, depending on what assist you're running) and repeat the process until she's in the corner.

EDIT: of course, you'll need to do the IAD for real some times, so that Parasoul doesn't decide "fuck it, he's baiting, I'll just walk forward into range of my normals, RIP in pieces Filia".

Last edited:
If you're struggling to get in on Parasoul, try staying a bit out of range of her normals but close enough that an IAD is threatening to induce her to back up. Then calmly move forward without pressing buttons (other than maybe an assist call, depending on what assist you're running) and repeat the process until she's in the corner.

EDIT: of course, you'll need to do the IAD for real some times, so that Parasoul doesn't decide "fuck it, he's baiting, I'll just walk forward into range of my normals, RIP in pieces Filia".

Thank you, I think that's been helping a bit, need to play against better parasouls to see how it works out.

FTT has shown me that I kinda suck against cerebella. At least, I'm not used to play against bellas that use c.lk so I'm not used to blocking low so much against her. Also need to work on my combos against her since I'm messing up the combo I use and either missing the c.lk otg, or following it up with s.mk which is bad, or I'll do j.lp j.lk which is also bad. Any of those cases results in a dropped combo which is bad for me.

Another thing FTT pointed out which I somewhat knew about, was how unsafe using c.mk as part of a blockstring is. I should also stop someimes ending it in s.hk since that also isn't safe by any means. SO, I should probably work on using a different blockstring that would be safer to use. Maybe something like s.lpx2 c.lk s.mp? It looks like s.mp has +8 on block which is better than c.mk's -7.

Another thing to work on is not resetting when I'd be able to continue the combo and kill. Sometimes I'll do the full combo and kill but other times I'm not paying attention to their health as much.

Things to do:
Git gud
Practice more
Practice combos more
Really just practice everything more
Stop resetting when I can kill, still.
Do c.lk s.hp instead of c.lk s.mk s.hp more
Stop doing stupid shit that gets me punished
Try to be a little more unpredictable
Stop doing c.mk against Bella when I know it'll get blocked
Practice j.mk into restand against each character so I can reasonably use it in matches
Maybe not try to play after drinking.
Block BB overheads
Block Parasoul overheads
Block mixups in general
Tech grabs and grab resets
Work on seeing/preventing any resets
Git guder

Reactions: Cadenza
Things to still work on:
Practice more
PBGC'ing successfully
Doublesnaps with Bella