• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Major slowdown on tag ins.

garrixon

Reaction score
I'm getting freezes of around 2 seconds every time I tag in after the encore update. It freezes the whole game upon command and resumes when the next character is loaded into memory I presume. I haven't heard any mention of it from anyone but it's made the game near unplayable since it happens on incoming too. Anyone experiencing this or know ways around it?

This has been a problem for me too. I played the game on another system (same hard drive) and it still happened. Allowed 1/4 of a USB's space as an Xbox memory for RAM and it still happens. I have not deleted then re downloaded anything so far yet I doubt it may do anything.

I am playing on a Silver account. Are you on Gold Garrixon?

I can't get it to happen on my devkits so I can't fix it...but I'm sure it's file-open related.
Is there anything weird with your setup like are you playing it on an account you didn't download or anything that might make the XBox have to do lots of work online for file permissions?

Can you try something dumb and disconnect the XBox from the internet, play on the original account that owns and downloaded SG, and see if it still is bad?

Playing the original Xbox that had it under normal circumstances. I'll try playing offline next time I'm home and get back to you.

ill give those a go as well

Well for me i already tried offline with USB and for me it still did so (yet i could mash tag-ins in training and the lag reduced each time).

I am trying a suggestion on this thread http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/still-says-2012-big-band-and-squigly-not-loaded.3036/ Although not the problem at hand, it may work since i didnt download all the DLC in order (squigs, BB, every1s colors, required update) from the marketplace and not the game and i am having other problems so I'm hoping doing this will fix something.

Wait, are you playing the game off a USB drive?

Wait, are you playing the game off a USB drive?
No im not its running on the hard drive and im trying to use the usb as extra RAM, since xbox works that way.

I have gotten this problem to occur on my devkit!
Unfortunately, I don't know why.
I reinstalled the entire game and all the content packages on a new account that I created that doesn't have XBox Live gold or silver access, with no connection to XBL.
Does this sound similar to anyone's situation here? I don't even know if you can DO that on a real XBox.

Regardless, I now have the problem so I can look into fixing it...I hope.

I did delete and reinstall the game to get Encore to work, but I have gold acess. Good luck trying to isolate the issue. Until then at least a 1v1 still works like a charm.

All i can say is good luck to you Mike.
If it happened do to a re-download then...it could be something with an update somewhere. Or something is missing because i wasn't prompted for an update anytime after Fukua got re-released. I know i downloaded the game after downloading the trial a few days prior. I know it's supposed to overlap the demo. I may try the demo and if it happens there then it's probably a system thing.
Is it possible to play the demo with the update? If so, then that may help yet the latest I can get to that is tomorrow night around this time.

thats great that youve been able to replicate it. hopefully youll be able to figure out whats causing the issue. ive had a couple people on my friends list express they were having the same problems too.

ive tried a few of your suggestions and have some more feedback so i hope it helps

so normally i play on an account which didnt originally purchase skullgirls, so i tried it on the original account (which is now silver) and experienced the lag on incoming/post snap like i do on the one i usually play on. id like to say maaaaaaybe it wasnt as bad but my eyes may have been playing tricks on me.

i didnt notice any difference regardless of whether i was online or off.

i then went back to my normal account to compare and didnt notice any big difference between the two accounts. it does seem to vary in severity though. sometimes its very brief and other times it can be around 1/4 second.

keeping my fingers crossed it can be resolved.

OK, figured it out.

It's hitching when closing the file, not when opening it, and I have no idea WHY it lags there but it seems to be related to how much data it needed to read. Closing the file at a different time fixed it. So it's fixed.

So I've given Marvelous a new Title Update, which means Fukua might come out first as a data pack plus Title Update without this fix, but then there'd be another Title Update with just this fix that doesn't require a new data pack.

Reactions: Evilweevle
yesssssss thanks so much thats fucking awesome!

Thanks Mike!

Ya that's the thing, are you SURE you have the latest TU? Gah.
Also let's stop hijacking this thread. :^)

moved it to the relevant thread.

and yes im 100% certain ive got the latest TU.

better quality video. 4 seconds

moved it to the relevant thread.

and yes im 100% certain ive got the latest TU.

better quality video. 4 seconds
Make the vid public.

Private vid...

okay fixed it now. wasnt able to do it last night.

yeah but for some reason the lag on xbl can get pretty bad, especially around the time after killing a character and during the next incoming character.

i brought this to this thread here because this is actually a problem with the game itself and has nothing to do with the netcode. you get the lag in single player modes too and im hoping that there might be a way to fix it. the most recent update was supposed to fix it but it more just moved the problem than anything.

You'll unfortunately probably have to wait until Eliza for it to really be fixed...although I can TRY to get them to submit another Title Update, I sorta doubt it'll happen. >.<

it is possible to fix it though right? thats the main thing.

are MS kinda strict with the TU's?

it is possible to fix it though right? thats the main thing.
Yes, I can try to go back to the old method of opening all the files beforehand and fix the crash that created. :^P

are MS kinda strict with the TU's?
We don't know. We don't want to get to the point where we make them angry though. Heh.

yea i definately dont recall it being an issue in the pre encore versions of the game.

yea i definately dont recall it being an issue in the pre encore versions of the game.
That's not what I meant, though. We can't do it the pre-Encore way for a different reason.
Don't worry about it. :^)

Reactions: Evilweevle
i recall a couple of weeks ago you (mike z) mentioned on salty another patch was submitted for this problem. any updates on that at all? the first one seemed to make it through pretty quickly so perhaps this one didnt make it?

Last edited:
so im guessing that the TU didnt make it through the approval process this time around @Mike_Z ?

will we need to wait for eliza patch for it to be fixed?

OH, yes. It got rejected because they found a hang that's been there since we shipped, but since they found it on this TU we ain't got nothin'.

SORRYYYYYYYY but it IS fixed locally. I know that prolly just makes it worse. :^P

Reactions: gllt
OH, yes. It got rejected because they found a hang that's been there since we shipped, but since they found it on this TU we ain't got nothin'.

SORRYYYYYYYY but it IS fixed locally. I know that prolly just makes it worse. :^P

So by fixed locally you dont mean that it doesnt do it offline right? Because it does it in all modes.

Xbox version is borked forever then?

So by fixed locally you dont mean that it doesnt do it offline right? Because it does it in all modes.
No, I mean it's fixed in my version here.
Xbox version is borked forever then?
No, you just have to wait until either I can fix it (the hang they found) and submit a new TU, or at absolute worst Eliza.

oh man thank christ for that. you had me genuinely worried for a good few hours then. i think i can manage a wait for eliza if it comes down to it. in skullgirls weeks that should be easy.

No, you just have to wait until either I can fix it (the hang they found) and submit a new TU, or at absolute worst Eliza.

hate to sound like a broken record (and since i know you're real busy) but now im reading that eliza is getting submitted real soon, does that patch contain the fix for the problem? *crosses fingers*

hate to sound like a broken record (and since i know you're real busy) but now im reading that eliza is getting submitted real soon, does that patch contain the fix for the problem? *crosses fingers*
Yes it does!
I'm terribly sorry you (plural) had to wait so long, but if you want a full breakdown:
- Back whenever I mentioned it, I gave MS a new XBox title update fixing this. Right after that I changed file formats for things, which I had actually waited on doing to submit that update so it would work with old data, so I can't make another new update until Eliza.
- They rejected the update based on finding a "new" bug, a hang if you accept an invite on the disconnect screen online.
- This was actually a bug that was present forever but hadn't been flagged before. It is in the currently released version, as shown here.
- We tried to get it waived and put out the update anyway, since the bug already exists, but that process took a long time and now since the Eliza update is coming so "soon" (in game-dev time), it was decided that we should just wait for that.

Sometimes things go that way, at least the new attempt at a fix will be there with Eliza. :^)

awesome mike! thats more info than i ever hoped for. just glad to know that a fix is on its way. i appreciate the quick responses. eliza patch cant come soon enough!

awesome mike! thats more info than i ever hoped for. just glad to know that a fix is on its way. i appreciate the quick responses. eliza patch cant come soon enough!
* attempted fix

I still never got the problem to HAPPEN, but now it doesn't do ANY file open or close or anything except an asynchronous read, so if THIS doesn't work then I have no idea how it was working before. :^|

BUMP. Eliza update Content Pack should finally propagate to servers in the next couple of hours.

@Evilweevle etc
PLEASE TELL ME IF IT FIXES THE DANG PROBLEM! I certainly hope so.

BUMP. Eliza update Content Pack should finally propagate to servers in the next couple of hours.

@Evilweevle etc
PLEASE TELL ME IF IT FIXES THE DANG PROBLEM! I certainly hope so.

for sure that was literally the first thing i was gonna check as soon as i can get the update. will let you know asap.