• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [May 27-29] Combo Breaker 2016 (Chicago, IL)

So will there be tables to use or will I have to put my keyboard on my lap?

I could try to snag some foam dodgeballs for the true offline experience of zoning.

he thinks im zoning lel.

Who would actually play board games if I brought them? Good ones. Even if it's just Thursday or some shit.
Me. As much as I enjoyed hearing the rules for Tragedy Looper for half an hour, this time I'd like to actually play it

Who would actually play board games if I brought them? Good ones. Even if it's just Thursday or some shit.
I would, that spy/ guessing game was fun during NEC.

Also my flight is booked and I'll be registering for the actual event next payday. See you guys in May. :)

Uh I don't think he is.

Keyboards don't work as controllers they just work as keyboards for PS3 / PS4.

Unless PS4 has new drivers that let it work or mike built custom ones himself that won't work.

If @Mike_Z could interject here to clarify whether that's the case or not, that'd be a big time-saver for me as I neither own a PS4 nor know anyone with SG on PS4 to test anything on.

Psychopath, I recommend that you start playing with Hitbox layout on your keyboard, A S D (Left, Down, Right) and Space bar as up, buttons somewhere to the right.
I guess it's finally time to unlearn 1100 hours of muscle memory and invert my hands from the default binds. So far I'm having mixed results with a 123+spacebar and 789/456 on the numpad.

You can borrow someone's hitbox at the event for your matches hopefully..
Given the BYOC rules imposed by the tournament, I'd rather not cause any hangups for other participants by having their controller in use when they need it. I'll be re-budgeting my next few paychecks so I can get one of my own in the meantime.

I know for a fact that keyboards don't work as controllers on consoles. I have a spare hitbox you can use. @'ing mike doesn't do anything. Either he gets too many notifications anyways, or he turned it off, or something. He'll see this thread eventually anyways.

@Psychopath a keyboard isn't going to work by default unless you use it for typing of the skullgirls.

However, I have heard that you can use a converter and it'll work. In that case though, you'd have to deal with whatever increased input lag there is, and you'd need a converter thats tourney legal.

@Psychopath a keyboard isn't going to work by default unless you use it for typing of the skullgirls.

However, I have heard that you can use a converter and it'll work. In that case though, you'd have to deal with whatever increased input lag there is, and you'd need a converter thats tourney legal.
I know for a fact that keyboards don't work as controllers on consoles. I have a spare hitbox you can use..
Thanks for clearing that up, as well as the offer. But I'm already set on setting aside some of my upcoming pay to pick one up for myself. Now's just a matter of shopping around.

I'll mop the floor with you in Monopoly as thanks.

I'll mop the floor with you in Monopoly as thanks.
That's cute, but I've got 3 limited edition cherry chocodiles that says I'm the better slum lord. Where's your curly moustache?
VTHvDQS.jpg

Yall some hella nerds
Bitch, nobody asked you.

count me on the board games too, if you have risk that would be great, if anyone wants to go a step further we could play dungeons and dragons.

hey! we could play a Skullgirls dungeons & dragons game! there should be enough lore for a mini campaing

oor for more simple and fast stuff if someone has pictionary thats a fun game, and we could also play bowl that is super fun and all you need is paper and a bowl

@'ing mike doesn't do anything.
Dat "still putting words in my mouth"...
@mikez.png

Anyhow, keyboards do not work as controllers for SG on consoles.
The button config is not compatible with them so even if I could implement it (which is much harder on PS4 than PS3) you wouldn't be able to configure it, which for keyboard players is basically useless.

So I have a very important question.

Is there any info on what day Skullgirls is running?

Less important but still relevant question, do we know if it's going to be spread across two days or all in one?

The reason I ask is because I'd really like to go again this year (especially considering I live in Chicago), but my current money situation prevents me from attending the whole weekend. Even just making it out to one day is pushing it with travel costs... but since there's a shuttle from O'Hare to the main location on Friday morning, if Skullgirls was maybe running pools on Friday and top 16 (or 8 or whatever) was maybe Saturday or Sunday... I could catch the Blue Line to O'Hare and then jump on the shuttle from O'Hare to the main location which would basically cut the travel cost in half (and make it something I might actually be able to do). If everything is on Saturday though (or split Saturday+Sunday), then I don't think it'll be feasible for me =/

I'm not even sure if it'd be worth all the effort for only one day with a high probability of missing the finals and such, but I figured I'd at least ask.

We won't really know when the game's running till we have a clearer picture on number of entrants.

Also, re: Risk, Monopoly, Pictionary:

I said GOOD games.

(I'll probably bring TragLoop, Coup, Codenames, Skull, Click Clack Lumberjack, maybe Final Attack! or something meatier if asked)

@Psychopath

I was gonna say you could make a custom controller with your keyboard layout but what Broken Loose said
Psychopath: Just buy another keyboard and mod a controller PCB to it. It's not hard. Learn to solder.

probably makes more sense.

In other news, I'm registered and booked my flight. You all won't even be ready for my Big Squigly Cock!

@Psychopath I used a Cronus device to use my laptop's keyboard as a controller on my ps3. I'd have to look into to see if they work on ps4s or not

We won't really know when the game's running till we have a clearer picture on number of entrants.
*Sigh* Yeah, I figured =\ Thought I'd go out on a limb though just in case. Oh well, I guess there's always next year. Was probably going to go 0-2 anyways >_>

Aren't cronus devices banned?
I have no idea? I'm just too lazy to make a custom hitbox, or else that's what I would be entering tournaments with

PS: @Broken Loose you will never get your hands on Boardwalk, I control the die's destiny

I have no idea? I'm just too lazy to make a custom hitbox, or else that's what I would be entering tournaments with

PS: @Broken Loose you will never get your hands on Boardwalk, I control the die's destiny
lmao the end blue properties are like mashy baby strats, the top tier monopoly shit is the orange properties (because they mathematically receive the highest traffic) and breaking the auction.

Monopoly is a terrible game, on purpose.

lmao the end blue properties are like mashy baby strats, the top tier monopoly shit is the orange properties (because they mathematically receive the highest traffic) and breaking the auction.

Monopoly is a terrible game, on purpose.
Wasn't it originally a game that was about ensuring everyone survives rent and banding together until one guy stole the idea and rebranded it?

Back