• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [May 27-29] Combo Breaker 2016 (Chicago, IL)

Actually, I think we should probably move with a sense of urgency, on this. I see no reason why we can do one, like... tonight. And tomorrow. Or, I guess, yeah, people might be busy. But what I mean is, there's no time like the present. Once or twice a month won't even get use through all the available pairings.
Hey, if we can round up at least 8 people to be in a tourney and a pair off the list to commentate it, I'm all for it. I had meant it mostly as an exercise specifically for new pairs that haven't commentated together before, rather than getting every pair on the list through the cycle.

I already have plans to drink heavily tonight, and I have plans tomorrow to be hung over, so I don't think either of those days really work for me
Drink heavily and commentate what could go wrong

I have to sing karaoke, throw a birthday party, arrange an events calendar, playtest a new game, write + memorize a spoken word piece for an upcoming competition, run locals, practice Skullgirls, and go on 2 dates this weekend. I'm booked solid.

I have to sing karaoke, throw a birthday party, arrange an events calendar, playtest a new game, write + memorize a spoken word piece for an upcoming competition, run locals, practice Skullgirls, and go on 2 dates this weekend. I'm booked solid.
I'm sure you could work in a third date if you tried

I already have plans to drink heavily tonight, and I have plans tomorrow to be hung over

We should all aspire to live life more like McNuts and drink in the moment.

edit: I just remembered how hype I am to meet Fosh in person and discuss the finer points of thicc lucc dicc. Very important conversation we need to have, buddy.

Reactions: gllt and Fosh
We should all aspire to live life more like McNuts and drink in the moment.

edit: I just remembered how hype I am to meet Fosh in person and discuss the finer points of thicc lucc dicc. Very important conversation we need to have, buddy.
I'd like this post twice if I could.

Reactions: Midiman and gllt
Wow missed it too
I wanna commentate, but y'all got plans already so that's ok

Guess I'll apply for CB 2017

I'd love to commentate, but being that SG isn't the game I commentate I'm worried it's disrespectful to even ask. Mind you, if 3 months is enough to crash course the technical knowledge and pacing/style adjustment for commentating SG then I'd be game for that.

If you watch literally any Maxout, I don't commentate sober.

Reactions: Datagram
I do not think 3 months is enough to learn pacing and technical knowledge.

Actually that's a pretty good amount of time to learn a lot of things, but it requires someone to already be generally knowledgeable about what the systems are (i.e. A Marvel 2 or 3 player that understands the mentality of assists but needs to learn how they operate differently) on top of spending a LOT of time with research and viewing to get a deep grasp on characters/players. There's been some cases of people in this scenario working things out in even less time, but again it's all about actual dedication and work which very few in the FGC put towards commentary by itself.

Reactions: Dhoppler
"Wow he did the thing!"
"So I got this shirt at..."
"SQUIDWARD'S HOUSE! PogChamp"

Am I an announcer yet or what

@fenster

3 months is not enough time surpass to learn the game and surpass the knowledge level of our current commentators.
I think Shadowfury still has a ways to go before he could provide more better and more insightful commentary than our current line up is what I'm getting at.
I'm also pretty sure that he's never commentated Skullgirls before, however, he does have commentary experience for RTS games.

I say all this because I know him personally.

It requires someone to already be generally knowledgeable about what the systems are (i.e. A Marvel 2 or 3 player that understands the mentality of assists but needs to learn how they operate differently)
I don't think he's here yet which is why I said it.

I also don't mean to put the guy down!
If he wants to become a serious commentator for Skullgirls more power to him and we could use more people with that dedication in the future.

But 3 months wouldn't be enough time imo.

Reactions: Pickles
But 3 months wouldn't be enough time imo.

Okay, I totally understand. And don't worry about possibly putting me down, I know you personally too.

Anyway, despite having shifted more to Guilty Gear recently (honestly SG has been frustrating me) I wouldn't be surprised if learning more about what really makes SG tick technically would help me enjoy it again, so even if it takes a year for me to get up to speed commentary-wise if that means I fall in love with SG all over again I'd go for that.

Reactions: skull person
3 months is not enough time surpass to learn the game and surpass the knowledge level of our current commentators.
I think Shadowfury still has a ways to go before he could provide more better and more insightful commentary than our current line up is what I'm getting at.

As was talked about in the commentary thread, knowledge of the game helps but the more technical =/= better. Commentary shouldn't be some contest about who can provide the most accurate and direct insight if they are actually super well spoken/good charisma on the mic which a lot of our current commentators DON'T have.

In 3 months time, no, he probably couldn't outlearn current commentators, but 3 months is a long time and more than to learn a lot of the typical aspects of higher level play at the least to cover say pools. If anyone dedicated enough truly practiced, then anyone could potentially get to an acceptable level of knowledge. And if they already had extremely solid ability to talk on the mic, then that'd be a big advantage over most of our current picks for commentators.

If Shadowfury really wants to put himself out for SG commentary, then he needs to go out there right now and try all he can to learn the game and put himself on the mic for SG matches (which there are plenty of opportunities and ways to setup) on his own. If he does a good job and gets into community events and people like him, then he'll be a solid candidate to consider for CB. Just let him rock and let him try what he can and let's not shoot people down 3+ months before the event itself. But this is all on Shadowfury; whether or not he can stand up to the task is on him (which I guess is more of a thing between you and him on this point).

This should go for basically anybody; if you REALLY want to get in on commentary (for anything), the seriously just start practicing up whenever and wherever you can and not sit on your thumbs. Practice at home by yourself or with a buddy, start asking current community events (online or offline) or just start hosting your own stuff to get your voice out to the community. If you get good feedback form that, that's when you can put your name in the ring or start making a highlight reel.

Me and Mike should do commentary. We surprisingly work well together.

I'm pretty knowledgeable about the game I think.

KeninMuffins

sleeper commentary duo of the year

What are the food options near the venue? What's in walking distance?

Anyone wanna fight me in Jojo? Old school Jojo?

Someone MM me in a FT5. u won't. No balls. Looser changes their name.

Reactions: dapurplesharpie
I will MM you.
For fairneas sake, you should do it offline because online is just too random and isn't fair at all. Its like betting on brackets, which are also completely and totally random. What terrible things to waste money on.

/s

I will be down for a Jojo side tournament so long as Petshop is banned.

Reactions: Zidiane
Alright, jeez. I can take a hint.

Jenga?

You do not want to play me in Capcom Jojos.
I just started playing it like 2 week ago. I actually did a write up on KPB for it :)

But yeah. Fite me. Hold this Mariah tech. Catch all these forks and power wires.

I will be down for a Jojo side tournament so long as Petshop is banned.
Jojo side tourney, let's go. No birds allowed.

I'm down. Y'all fools finna get JFK'd.

time to learn capcom jojo's in 3 months
see my <insert mixup character with the easiest execution here dio is hard>

time to learn capcom jojo's in 3 months
Play Avdul. He's cool.

not that I don't believe that a heritage to the future tournament is veritable but what would the game be run on? The game got taken off psn/xbl.

In the event that I somehow make it to combo breaker there is a high possibility of people catching glass and/or tending to their broken backs from my classically trained hol horse and rubber soul.

shadow dio is easy and has mixups pick that guy

not that I don't believe that a heritage to the future tournament is veritable but what would the game be run on? The game got taken off psn/xbl.
I got the rom on my laptop. I'm sure someone else would have a rom, if not a ps3 with it on there.