• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Monster Hunter

I can see that. I also like the Sword and Shield and the lance is fun against the right monster. I used to use the switch axe a bunch, but it's...well it doesn't have the impact, or at least doesn't feel like it does, on the same level of the Great Sword. It's whole system also makes a bunch of Switch Axes nigh underpowered XD

The Hunting Horn is nice to see back. It's not so great for single player, but every team should have a dedicated Hunting Horn user! I like using the Hunting Horn in group hunts, mostly cause I can contribute both damage and support in droves.

The new Insect Glaive is really fun, but I find myself being a bit random with the bug thingy XD

BTW, I use the Great Sword as my main weapon, and it has this super charge slash. I've been trying to find out the secret to it forever, but I can't seem to find out how to trigger it consecutively, even using the same timing. It IS a timing thing, right? I'm not crazy, right? RIGHT?!

I hate dual swords. You have to dish out a dozen piddly little slaps before you get the amount of damage from a single greatsword swing or a few longsword swings. Also they're so short that you can forget about cutting off tails and parts.

No thanks.

So in the demo and trailers, I see stuff that looks like Brachydios armor. Has it been confirmed as returning? Are they going to make Slime less OP?
The game also seems to have the most monsters of the series, but does it have subspecies? I'm intrigued to find out, and what other monsters are returning? It'd be nice to see the Zinogre and Lagiucrus (or at least the Ivory version, which was effective on land) return, but I don't know the full list, too lazy to look it up XD

Just look it up, don't be lazy.

I like the dual blades for the not-devil-trigger and the ability of dat speed. And what are you talking about? I can break off parts just as well as any other weapon.

It's a lot fucking easier when you have something long with an overhead swing.

Just look it up, don't be lazy.
But...but...but...Ok, fine DX

The Long Sword, despite it's length, it's kind of a finicky weapon. It uses it's size mostly for either wide-hitting or long stabs. It's effect and fun to use, especially against small monsters, but it's also fairly ineffective at chopping parts off at times. I'd say the Great Sword has a tougher time, though, cause those power slashes, man I'm lucky if the monster doesn't dodge it just naturally moving around. It's not an issue just outright attacking the beast, but going for a tail can be a major pain at times.

Overall it appears the Sword and Shield still is one of the best beginner weapons. It's still got the great mobility, usable items with the weapon out, and just enough range to make it useful in all situations. Man, I enjoy using all these weapons...it's nice to see all of them really have drawbacks that help make other weapons good at covering for you.

Reactions: SanoBaron
yeah, but the speed of your attacks on the dual blades is so sick!

you're not strong but you're just shredding the enemy monster. Its so fun.
And then you put poison on the DB and you forreal just tear through most things under 4 stars.

Also.

Reactions: SanoBaron
I don't think the game will be coming in my mail until Thursday.
I don't wanna fuckin' wait that long.

I'm in the same boat, ordered from amazon and not getting the game until thursday-saturday depending on the mail. Already a lot of people that have it that I'm organizing with are already gearing up. Kinda getting the itch and I can't scratch it.

I'm debating whether I should order a Circle Pad Pro now or wait until I get the game first.

guess we all can't get our preferred weapons goodness, because I can't afford it right now either...

and the game is doable without a circle pad pro. there's a function that'll lock on to the target monster when it's on the screen (or the same part of the map, whichever sounds better), and the B button helps with keeping the camera behind you. also, you can use the D-pad and touch screen for camera controls as well.

I say it's probably best to save your money.

Last edited:
Fuck it, I'm buying one now.

I've also heard it makes using your face buttons really awkward.
but, eh.
whatever floats your boat.

Monster Hunter on the PSP was a fucking nightmare.
I don't care how effective the targeting system is, I want another stick and extra shoulder buttons.

yeah, but I got the demo and I've played the PSP version, so trust me when I say this:

not having the circle-pad pro is perfectly fine
hqdefault.jpg
this is the lower screen, and that d-pad cross on the upper right works like a circle pad pro's right stick would anyway
but like I said, whatever floats your boat.

The point isn't that it's necessary, the point is that it's waaaaay better.
Also digital buttons are stupid, I'm not playing an iPhone.

I don't think the game will be coming in my mail until Thursday.
I don't wanna fuckin' wait that long.

Yeah I went with a free shipping option and I don't think mine will be coming until the new week either, although mine might come sooner... I feel your pain.

meanwhile i bought my copy from the store and its been sat here for nearly 24 hours now and i havent even touched it yet!

I would've bought it from the GameStop nearby but I was too lazy to make the trip. Also I didn't wanna hang around the mouth-breathing nerds that I knew would be lining up for it.

you know, you could probably just go later in the day, when there arent so many "mouth breathing nerds" about.

I love how you guys are just assuming that I'm making fun of decent folk. No, these people that I always see at video game stores really are the refuse of society. I feel no remorse in calling them as they are and taking measures to avoid their stank-ass breath. Holy shit brush your damn teeth.
Now enough about that, I've already ordered the game and I just ordered the circle pad pro. It should arrive around the same time as the game. I'm looking up some gameplay videos and it's looking amazing. The targeting system should be really useful when I whip out the gun.

Real shit I haven't put this game down.

I bought a wii u today (got lucky and saw the zelda edition) and I haven't even hooked it up, Monstah bruh.

The boy sitting on here with an Accelerated Hammer, full Tet gear, and a Defender Charge Blade.

GOML

Last edited:
Wow, MH4U came in my mail today, three days earlier than I expected. It plays beautifully so far, everything feels a lot more fluid than earlier installments. I'm still pissed that they removed swimming, but I can live with it.

I'm sure you'll find some handicap to love that everyone else will hate.
have faith.

Not combining solo and online quests is a gripe of mine.

I already bopped the Steltas and Co. I have to bop them again?

Game's great so far! They even have ways to get pieces for armor and weapons present in past games for monsters not in 4U! That's cool!

Is it just me, or do the monsters feel...weaker? Perhaps it's because I went into online mode pretty much immediately, but now I'm facing monsters in offline mode and online of equal rank to my equipment, and they just go down so quickly. Like, usually 10-15 minutes...Then again it seems that monsters also hit harders.

Also, somehow, the Gore Magala crap is more overdesigned and gaudy that Dios stuff, and less OP. Capcom...how you do dis?

they could feel weaker because lots of weapons have been tweaked.
like, now almost every weapon class has a jump attack of some kind.
and yeah, it does seem like they do a little more damage.

the game just feels so tweaked and approachable now.
I love it!

I think its because the monsters' weakpoints have been more pronounced this time around.

Hitting a Tseubera, cool, break off both of it's horns, it ain't doing much.

Low Rank monsters seem to have less health in general than in previous games (or weapons are stronger in general?). Gore Magala dropped on me in less than 10 minutes and just left me with it "that's it?" feel.

Definitely gets harder later on.

That might be the case as well. It's not that I don't appreciate the shorter quests, but there were some really tense moments I've had trying to complete quests within the time limit, and I like that feeling.

Of course the shorter quests also benefits my scheduling, so that's good.

I have to say, though, the Great Sword has been streamlined like crazy. I can pull off super charged slashes with ease and now it has a more pronounce combo string. LOVING IT! :D

is it me, or does the short sword allow you to get closer the more you're attacking?
I dunno, it could just be me.
it's probably just me.

I can't wait to get my hands on the game and go to town with the charge blade.

Guns at least definitely feel stronger, but I feel like certain weapons should have gotten more attention.

Kecha Wacha felt appropriately threatening the first go round.

So, we trading friend codes to get this on and popping?

I'll definitely share my friend code when I get the game.
though I warn you, I'm super casual when it comes to Monster Hunter.

or I can just add it to my profile. whatever floats your boat

Actually yeah that's a better idea.