• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

My Unity Demo's/Projects

Squire Grooktook

The wind blew all day long
Reaction score
Steam
Squire Grooktook
PSN
Groucho2
XBL
SquireGrooktook
Ms. Fortune Filia Unknown
So last semester I took a Game Design class as well as a c++ course and aced them both. There's no advanced courses for either available at my college at the moment, so in the mean time I'm taking up Unity as a hobby since that's what we used in Game Design. I plan on doing a bunch of short little 1 stage or so demo's for practice for a variety of gameplay concepts, mostly 2d but might delve into 3d later since I already took like 4 courses on 3d modeling and rigging.

Project #1 a heavy mobility oriented platformer based on a grappling hook used for combat and speed running stages (the main idea is you move faster when grappling, so latch onto as much as possible). This is my final project from game design class. We had a team of 4 people, but I was the only one who know how to code so I basically did everything. There was no introduction to Unity in class and it was pretty much all dumped on me to figure out on my own in the last 2-3 weeks of the semester during finals. The grappling hook was the hardest part, took me three sleepless nights to figure out how to make that work lol.

Of all the games presented and played during the finals, this was approached and replayed by the most people, and seemed to be the favorite. I plan on revisiting the idea later once I understand more about movement vectors and whatnot, I'd like to be able to swing in an arc, toss enemies at other enemies, etc.

Project #2 I've been working on during winter break. A classic Castlevania inspired demo themed around strict attack timings. Note that the stage here is just place holder. I'm currently working on a boss fight for this, so I'll likely have a video of that up during the weekend as I only need to work out some kinks in the ai at the moment.

Side project and probably Project #3. Basic shmup I threw together. The bomb pattern is a mistake because I forgot to copy and paste the line of script that resets cooldown on throwing the bombs. I fixed it immediately after recording this lol.

I don't think any of these are worthy of being played at the moment (mostly just scripting practice), but if I make something that's more workable I might put up a download link or something for people who want a laugh.

Last edited:
Major props for applying yourself and creating tangible results. Programming is one of those things that I don't get, and I have great admiration for people who build their own games. It's tough.

If you ever think you have something you want to push through to completion and you want some music, send me a message.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
Major props for applying yourself and creating tangible results. Programming is one of those things that I don't get, and I have great admiration for people who build their own games. It's tough.

If you ever think you have something you want to push through to completion and you want some music, send me a message.

Ah, thank you. Eventually I'd like to have something approaching a "full game" for my portfolio, but that'll be a while. I'll be sure to remember you.

Cooked up some new mechanics for the shmup project this weekend

Basic idea:

-The emphasis I'm trying for is on quick movement, so instead of a "focus laser" from holding down the fire button, you instead have a close range charge attack. Ideally when zipping around you start charging whenever your out of range of an opponent so that you can get a dose of spike damage when you get back in range.

-Charging also generates an even closer range field around you that does continuous damage to point blank enemies. If you can smack enemies with it before releasing your charge, you'll get even more damage. Its wide radius is also good for swarms of enemies

-When a large enemy is almost dead, they'll be "marked" (its actually a shitty downscaled Zandatsu kanji from Metal Gear Rising lol). If you ram directly into a marked enemy while charging, you'll go right through them and slice them in half. This is an instant kill, and will either slow down time (making dodging easier for a moment) or erase some bullets on screen (haven't decided which yet, currently have both lol).

I'm leaning towards the time slow because its aesthetically dramatic and has a gameplay function, so that would kill two birds with one stone.

Reactions: KaboomKid