• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA New England thread - Not UK

On second thought, since my doc wants me to rest anyway, it seems as good an excuse as any to take a week off.

While I really do appreciate that you'd show up on my count, doctors tend to be right about that rest thing so don't worry about it and get better.

I can't help but find it amusing that last week was one of our biggest turnouts and this week no one can make it.

While I agree with you, just to play devil's advocate I should point out that many doctors are bad people. Doctor Doom, for example.
Brain Drain is also a doctor right?

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I know I've asked this before, but do people usually attend Friday night fights @ GU the day before the monthly? I'm around this weekend so I'll be there if people are going on Fri 6/20.

drevilOoops.jpg

I know I've asked this before, but do people usually attend Friday night fights @ GU the day before the monthly? I'm around this weekend so I'll be there if people are going on Fri 6/20.

drevilOoops.jpg
Typically no. If there's enough interest I can bring my setup, but Icky normally doesn't like to drive a billion hours to and from GU two days in a row, and when he can't go it means that like half of us can't go. We'll probably be playing casuals all day Saturday after the tournament anyways.

Oh word, glad I asked. I'll see you guys on Saturday

So the way we've been doing the Game Underground monthlies for a while now is that tournaments that get less than 8 people are run as a round robin. A question that came up at the last monthly was "is 8 the right cutoff point?" I wanna get your guyses thoughts on this. If a lotta people want this changed I can probably talk to Jamie about it. Personally I think that a for example 4 man double elim bracket is the saddest thing ever next to a 3 legged puppy, but a 7 man double elim bracket (which is what we would have had) is pretty reasonable.

granted I've only played in 1 monthly, I'm cool with doing whatever you guys want. Just to throw out some ideas though, I think it would be possible to do something like this:

4 or less people -> Round Robin
5-7 people -> Triple Elimination Bracket
8+ people -> Double Elimination Bracket

These are just example numbers in regards to # of players, but the main goal here being to balance out the # of players and the # of games played (i.e. no 3 legged puppies )

I don't think triple elimination is a thing? If nothing else I'm pretty sure Challonge doesn't support it.

With 6 or 7 people wouldn't there be bys (byes? bis?) in double elimination? Also what determines the seeding when it's double elim?

With 6 or 7 people wouldn't there be bys (byes? bis?) in double elimination? Also what determines the seeding when it's double elim?
If you have anything but an even power of 2 (so like 4, 8, 16, 32, etc) there will be byes. So yes. Typically I've been doing hand seeding based on past tournament results. In the past we did round robin tournaments at the Friday night meetups and I used those for seeding but it's sorta unfair to the guys who can't make the Friday night meetups like User and Doctor.
oh it's a thing all right, just very uncommon. Challonge probably doesn't support it though.

http://printyourbrackets.com/triple-elimination-tournament-brackets.html
Man whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat this is sorta CRAZY

Not gunna lie, I hadn't heard of it either until about 11:30am today, it's basically like a 2-loss elim except you add a 2nd loser's bracket. In theory it could make for a rather long Grand Finals, depending if the person coming from Loser's is either at 1 loss or 2, and if they win a set or not.

Outside of those options, I'm not really sure what else there is, but like I said I'm open to whatever, I just wanna play some games.

Oh man the Friday round robin thing seems rad, too bad it doesn't work out. Triple elim seems like something I think I'd be down to try out.

btw the vidz from the last tournament are up, check it:

FYI I think this will be the week I try to stream our locals on PS3. I messed around with OBS last night and I'm gonna give it like a real live stream test tonight. I'm excited tho because streaming on console gives a lot of advantages:

-We can change player names while people are playing
-We can update scores (haven't even been bothering with this because it would require people to stop playing, but now maybe it's worth bothering with)
-I can change scenes while people are playing. I made a few of these last night, one is just the game, another is the player cam, another is the streamer cam, another is the game and both cameras and the GU logo. This sort of looks like ass right now but the end goal is to make a nice overlay for it and kinda mimic what Next Level does with their stream.
-One person can be commentating while two people are playing, we sort of had a setup like this with dual monitors but it lagged the setup and there were other problems. This should work a lot smoother. Before you ask no I don't have it set up for two mics yet holy shit one thing at a time
-Because the stream chat can be on the laptop, we can full screen the game and still have access to the chat
-Since it's on console, we can play games that aren't Skullgirls, such as Water Pizza (!!!)

The one drawback is that it's console and not PC, so people with controllers where that's relevant, prepare to borrow controllers from people (dual modding is a super worthwhile investment btw, I did it once two years ago and now I can use the same stick for everything).

Sounds awesome, cool production stuff is cool. I should have my stick dual modded before September, I'll prolly order the PCB when I get my paycheck so that'll be soon.

Hey guys, I've had a lot of stress going on in my life for a number of months now, and unfortunately driving up to frammingham has started to be a stressful experience for me too. I need to take a break from going up on fridays and going up to tournaments. Not sure how long, at least until I hopefully feel more in control of myself and my life. Sorry everyone, sorry @Natezer and @Zidiane :/

Hey guys, I've had a lot of stress going on in my life for a number of months now, and unfortunately driving up to frammingham has started to be a stressful experience for me too. I need to take a break from going up on fridays and going up to tournaments. Not sure how long, at least until I hopefully feel more in control of myself and my life. Sorry everyone, sorry @Natezer and @Zidiane :/
That's totally fine dude, you gotta do what you gotta do. Hope things work out for you.

best of luck with everything Icky, I appreciate all the help you've given me so far and I'm looking forward to the next time I get to see you again

Hope everyone had a good time last Friday. I can't make it next Friday due to the 4th of July, and I also can't make it the Friday after due to Evo. See you all on the 18th!

Oh yeah I won't be there this Friday either cuz of the 4th of July, I'm also working till 7. Is there anyone else who would bring a setup for the Friday after? I'd prolly be able to be there.

Game Underground announced that they'll be closed on the 4th, so that's moot anyway.

Barring anything unusual, I should be there the following week with my PS3 in tow.

Game Underground announced that they'll be closed on the 4th, so that's moot anyway.

FREEEEEEEDOMMMMM

Barring anything unusual, I should be there the following week with my PS3 in tow.

If necessary, I can prob bring my PS3 as well so we can have two setups, but I don't have a monitor to bring.

FREEEEEEEDOMMMMM

If necessary, I can prob bring my PS3 as well so we can have two setups, but I don't have a monitor to bring.
I've always used one of the store's monitors. You have to get there early before they're all taken, though.

I've always used one of the store's monitors. You have to get there early before they're all taken, though.

Good to know, I'm guessing next friday may be quiet since it is EVO weekend ( you know, all those Friday night EVO viewing parties... ) but if I do bring my PS3 I'll leave work on time so I can snag a monitor.

you know, all those Friday night EVO viewing parties...
Yo we should do that. We can have a viewing party at peanuts' house since he won't be there to stop us.

Reactions: dMags
Yo we should do that. We can have a viewing party at peanuts' house since he won't be there to stop us.
Incorrect, I have Home Alone style traps all over my apartment

I'm definitely in, we can set our own traps when we leave for when Peanuts gets home too

Good thing I decided not to mention how I could hold such an event. It's be a shame to miss the sounds of stuff like this as they try to break into Peanut's house.