• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

NEWBIE PLAYER - HELP WITH BIG BAND

TheVulong

Hawken pilot
Reaction score
Steam
TheVulong
Big Band
Hello.

Been waiting for Skullgirls on PC - as a don't have a console - since early 2013 but bought it on Steam just yesterday. So i ran through the tutorial and started to play as Big Band. I managed to learn the majority of specials and a few simple combos but that's it. I have played a dozen of online matches and for the most part i was getting owned.

So, as a complete newbie i would like to ask a few questions about how to play well with Big Band:

1. Defense.
First problem i encountered was the pressure from the opponent: most of those who i fought against started to pressure me right away and didn't really give me any chance to counterattack. There were sutiations where a saw and used the opening to break out but for the most part things were ending up pretty dire for me. So, my questions:
How do i keep my opponent at bay with Big Band?
What is the best anti air move?
What is the best ground defense move?

2. Offense.
Second problem i faced was my inability to actually approach the enemy and start a combo. As i said i learned a couple of simple combos starting with either LP or LK but i only managed to perform them on blocking, when the opponent was right in my face. My questions here:
How do i safely approach my enemy, especially keepaway characters like Peacock?
What are the best moves to start a combo?
What most basic and simple combos involving special moves should i learn as a newbie player?
Do consider that i play with keyboard and i would like to start with simple 10-20 hit chains.

"How do I keep my opponent at bay with Big Band?"

Keep them in the corner and find a way to do damage to them. Doing something like chaining air grabs with a.lk is great, or just trying to put pressure on them with stuff like Giant Step H or Brass Knuckles is good.

"What is my best anti-air move?"

That's for certain A-Train M or H. It takes your opponent out of the air, does damage, and shoves them into the corner. This is perfect for dealing with characters like Painwheel / etc. Beat Extend takes a close second for being able to nab characters, but A-Train is much better.

"What is the best ground defense move?"

Probably a close tie between Beat Extend and Giant Step. Giant Step allows you to knock your opponent off the ground ( and in case of Peacock, remove ground projectiles) and Beat Extend can nab them out of combos if you get it out.

"How do I safely approach my enemy, especially keepaway characters like Peacock?"

Your best answer to dealing with zoning is probably Brass Knuckles or Giant Step. Brass Knuckles moves you up and gets you farther (SSJ is also up there) and Giant Step stops them in their spot. Of course they can jump to avoid it, especially Giant Step H, but you can chain that into a A-Train H to pressure them even at long range.

"What are the best moves to start a combo?"

S.LP is great. It's a quick jab, does two hits, and it's easy to chain with. C.MK, C.MP are also good, C.MP being a 2 hit and C.MK takes your entire hitbox - which can be good for jabbing out airdashes occasionally.

What most basic and simple combos involving special moves should I learn?"

S.LP > S.MP > S.HP > A.LP > A.LK > A.MK > Cymbal Crash H > A-Train H > Super Sonic Jazz (optional, best used with taunt activated though)

Simple combo, does simple damage. A simple reset (aka Icky reset) is good as well. I use this:

S.LP > S.MP > S. HP > A.LP > A.LK > A.MP > Air Grab > A.LK to chain into your own combo or repeat the reset for some pressure or movement.

Not the best Band player myself, but I'll try to help. Always glad to see another solo Band player. Us members gotta band together. :PUN:

Good luck!

Some other combos:

Grab > Beat Extend (H) > S.LP > S.MP > S.HP > A. LP > A. LK > A. MK > A.HK > Tymphony Drive

This one can be a little tricky. Tymphony has to be preformed RIGHT after you do HK. It's best done in a corner where HK provides knockback that gets knocked RIGHT into Tymphony Drive. If you did the taunt and you have them higher in the air, you CAN time a A-Train M and catch them. Very tricky, though.

S.LP > S.MP > S. HP > A. LP > A. MP > A. HP > Cymbal Crash H > A-Train H

Nice damage, and it can be used to mix up things. Possibly after the reset mentioned before, mix ups with resets are important.

To be honest there's someone who can explain it better than me, most likely. I'm just throwing out what I know as a fellow Band player. If you do want some info on our tuba friend you can watch this video (by Jason Slade, apperantly)

Explains alot of things and has some basic combos.

Reactions: Daud
Thanks for the info. I will start practicing right away.

things

You missed out a lot of important shit in your post, so you should pay attention to what I post here too.

Alright, so Big Band in a nutshell is a heaps defensive/poking character in a super offense heavy game.

How do I keep my opponent at bay with big band?

The most potent and subtle way to prevent your opponents from approaching you is to make it seem like a really bad idea to approach you - Big Band is good at this, because he can poke half-screen. Setting up your spacing game, and being able to properly threaten areas of the screen is the key way to keeping opponents hesitant, and if they're hesitant, you can slowly close in and gain space and put them in the corner.

Of course, what Skymin said about "put them in the corner first" is true - A good offense is the best defense in skullgirls, if they have to deal with your shit, you don't have to deal with their shit.

What is the best anti air move?

Anti-airing with Big Band is situational and difficult from the ground. If you want to keep your air space safe reliably, prevent approaches by utilising air-to-airs such as Big Band's godlike j.LK bicycle wheel thing, since it's got a super good hitbox, or his air qcb HK since it reaches real far (but not as far as the graphic would indicate).

What is the best ground defense move?

On the ground, c.MK and s.MP actually have pretty good anti-air hitboxes but they have long recovery animations, espcially s.MP, and if you use s.MP you could accidentally go into play-the-trumped mode which means you die instantly. s.LP is good against instant airdashers but that's about it.

His anti-air A-Trains are good but are more of an anti-jump offensive option since they are unblockable if the opponent is ascending but can be blocked if they're descending, they have some utility vs single-hit jumpins since they'll have armour and eat the hit but that's about it.

Last but not least, parry into LP Beat Extend. This is by far his best anti-air option since it negates the hit, Beat Extend will blow through followup hits, it's too fast for your opponent to react with super, and it will hit no matter what height your opponent is at. Yes, the scaling is bad so your followup combo does poor damage but you could end in a slide knockdown with Hard rush punch or anti-air grab to set up a mixup, or do a reset of some kind. This option difficult though, since parrying is a large commitment and requires both prediction and reaction and if you are waiting for the parry, then you aren't putting moves on the screen for your opponent to respect.

Parrying is difficult but highly rewarding when you get it down. It's highly recommended you use a character that doesn't have parries in addition to Big Band so that you don't over-rely on it.

Now, onto offense. Offense with big band is tricky but potent.

How do i safely approach my enemy, especially keepaway characters like Peacock?

There's no magic bullet here, at neutral you're going to need lots and lots of patience, and/or make some very specific reads. Big Band really shines if you can make some real smart reads to quickly get momentum, and his mixup game post-knockdown is freakin' sweet.

Regarding patience, space out the opponent, make them respect you, and slowly eke your way forwards with double jumps and blocking, while keeping their approach out with j.LK should be the basis of your game. If you just relied on that, however, you will get your shit kicked in since it's not that potent by itself.

Regarding All versions of brass if you think they're going to move forward, L if you need a quick one, H if you know you need to plow through some normals/projectiles, M for something inbetween.

A-Train is good for opponents that like to jump, airdash, and doublejump so if you sniff out those movement options you will get a knockdown.

HOWEVER.... There is a way to make all of these unsafe, risky reads quite safe indeed. You get an assist. For instance, you can just pick up Double, use her MK Hornet Bomber assist, and if you call it just before doing a ridiculously unsafe lunge punch or A-Train, the butt will cover you and you'll be safe anyway. This makes Big Band stupidly strong at mid range.

What are the best moves to start a combo?

The most reliable situations Big Band can start a full combo from is from one of his SLIDE KNOCKDOWNS. You can get a slide knockdown if you have preserved your purple bounce, and you hit your opponent with either a H Brass, or H A-Train. This means they can't ground tech, and they have to get up at the same time every time.

j.LK chained to j.MK is real good when you're ontop of someone, since it hits people stand blocking, and if someone is waking up from a slide knockdown they are in standing state EVEN IF THEY ARE CROUCH BLOCKING. This is good pressure as well since you'll be plus on block and they'll have to pushblock you out.

c.LK chained into c.MP c.MP is also real good when you're next to someone, since it has to be blocke low, and if they start to expect your j.LK they'll block high, and you'll catch them low. Also, if your opponent is jumping on wakeup, then c.LK will keep them in pre-jump, they get hit, and it lets you continue into combo.

Bonus, if you have an assist(like double's MK butt!), then on their wakeup from slide knockdown, call the assist, do instant j.MK. It hits high, and they'll continue to get hit by the assist and you can do full combo.

Big Band can also start combos with his ground throws, and air throws. Do them if you think they'll block on the ground, or be blocking in the air. You can even do air throws aggressively at neutral!

What most basic and simple combos involving special moves should i learn as a newbie player?

I'll give you the combos I use, since they're relatively simple, not really optimised, but they get the job done.

Full combo Midscreen:

whatever starter(Probably c.LK c.MP c.MP), s.HP, j.MP j.HP j.HK, otg c.MK xx H Beat Extend, s.LP s.MK, j.LP j.LK j.MK c.LK c.MK s.HK xx H A-Train, Super.

Full Combo Corner:

whatever starter(Probably c.LK c.MP c.MP), s.HP, j.MP j.HP xx qcb HK, s.HK xx M Brass, c.LK s.MK j.LP j.LK j.MK, s.LP LP c.LK c.MK s.HK xx H A-Train, Super.

However, you really shouldn't end your combos with meter usage if they're not going to guarantee the kill. In that case, just do

whatever starter(Probably c.LK c.MP c.MP), s.HP, j.MP j.HP xx qcb HK, H Brass.

This will get you the slide knockdown. As I mentioned before, Slide knockdown is godlike. Use it to your advantage. It's Big Band's most consistent way to mix his opponents up.

That's all I can think of atm. Use what I wrote here as the basis for your game, strongly consider picking up Double for her assist, and explore Big Band further in your own time.

Last edited: