• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

(OBS) Open Broadcast Software

Wrexkun

body bags inside of body bags
Reaction score
Steam
Chuck N. Plazma
XBL
deadpoolxfleet
Peacock Beowulf Big Band
I just got skullgirls for the PC and I also got OBS because I want to record/stream it the recording part is easy and the quality is great i just have no idea how to start a stream so I made this thread asking for help if anyone else uses this program
The only person I've heard mention this software before is @mcpeanuts

@noaa uses it for our weekly stream too. He might help you with it.

OBS has actually not been working for me at all for like two weeks lol

OBS has actually not been working for me at all for like two weeks lol

This sounds silly, but did you update it? I got a "reconnecting" message when I tried to stream a game the other day, and I updated the software and it worked fine again.

This sounds silly, but did you update it? I got a "reconnecting" message when I tried to stream a game the other day, and I updated the software and it worked fine again.
Yeah after we talked before I checked and it said no new updates so I guess that was not it

Yeah after we talked before I checked and it said no new updates so I guess that was not it

Did you fix it? If not can you link an image to what all your settings are?

I just got skullgirls for the PC and I also got OBS because I want to record/stream it the recording part is easy and the quality is great i just have no idea how to start a stream so I made this thread asking for help if anyone else uses this program
The only person I've heard mention this software before is @mcpeanuts

If you have a twitch account go to your dashboard and find your stream key. On OBS go to broadcast settings
Streaming service: Twitch
FMS/URL: Whichever is closest to you
Pathplay/stream key: Your stream key

In Encoding your bitrate depends on your upload speed. Know what it is?

In the advanced tab put Encoding profile to main
Keyframe interval 2 seconds

In video my custom is 1280 x 720
downscaled to 640x360
fps 30. If your computer is good you can change this to what you want.

Here is my understanding of OBS, feel free to correct me on anything:

Basically, put the resolution of Skullgirls in the custom.
(I do 1920x1080)
Downscale it to something more reasonable
(720p, 480p etc)
Set the FPS to something, 40 is usually pretty good. I think high FPS is nice for fighting games.

Then the big thing that matters is the max bit rate!!!
If you set your resolution to 1080p 60FPS 10 Quality Balance with highest audio settings etc etc, but set max bit rate to 400, it will condense all of your settings to fit at a rate of 400 Kbps.
(Looks like garbage)

Go to speedtest.net and check your upload speed. If you go any higher than your max upload speed it will start chugging. So if you upload is 2mb/s set your bit rate to 1500 maybe to leave some room for the game and other programs.
So the best computer in the world on the worst internet won't help unfortunately.

Here is 720p, 30fps, 6000 bit rate.

Last edited:
Something to note about bitrates you choose. Apparently twitch doesn't want you to put your bitrate higher than 3.5k, because they can't support it for everyone. So don't go too high or else it wont really work well anyways.

Reactions: b0nk
Probably a setting that unlocks with viewer count I bet, like at 100 viewers it resets with quality options.

Streaming is about minmaxing what you have.
OBS will grab the video from the sources you selected and ENCODE/compress the data. This demands processing power and is scaled by the resolution of the footages.
The output data will be streamed into a defined BITRATE - the more rate you use, more data will be gathered and more processing power required. The bitrate value is defined on a per frame basis, therefore higher FRAMERATES will require even more processing.
The encoded data will then be sent to your streaming service like twitch or hitbox. This is where your UPLOAD SPEED matters, since it is possible to have giants amounts of data but not being able to send them without LOSING DATA in the process, resulting in frame drops. Lack of processing power will cause framedrops aswell, but it will be noticeable on your end aswell (as you play the game).
Also remember that the same upload speed you're using for streaming is being used to play (if it's an online game). You might experience lag if you dedicate too much upload to your stream and neglect your own game.
So in the end, it all depends on what you want and what you have.
Keep in mind that each game has a different demand on data. Games that have really fast screen motions such as Counter-Strike, Starcraft and any racing game will often demand higher bitrates since pixelating artifacts (resulted by high compression) and low framerates in those is really bad for the viewer experience. Fast motion games like these tend to not require big resolutions though, as you will never focus on a single part of the screen for long.

Platformers and games like Hearthstone will act the opposite. These will rarely have big screen movements, therefore focusing the data on a big resolution instead of high framerates is a good idea.

As for fighting games? They're somewhere in the middle ground. I found that 720p is MORE THAN ENOUGH resolution to watch any fighting game, so you should never aim for anything higher than that imo. And also, at least 30fps is a must. Keep in mind that if you take a big amount of your upload bandwidth, your ping in game will suffer. Try to find a bitrate value that fits your connetion so you can both play comfortably and stream.
Intel Core i5 750 @2.67ghz (1st gen)
ATI Radeon HD6850 - 1gb memory / 256bits
8gb DDR3 RAM @1333hz
I have a pretty good connection, so I'm never concerned about game ping.
I run my Skullgirls stream on 1280x720 at 60fps. It is a hard overkill for a fighting game, but since I keep VODs for those, I try to aim for a higher-than-most quality. This demands at least 2000kbps of bitrate and not much processing power, since Skullgirls is such an easy to run game.

Keep in mind your audience may not have enough connection to watch your stream if it is set on a really high quality. If you're not a twitch partner or doesn't have the quality swap button on your channel, consider setting it low so your audience don't spam your chat complaining.
kappa.png

Here's some setups I've tested that works on my 2009ish machine:

* Tomb Raider - output 1920x1080@30 fps - 1850kbps bitrate - barely playable, since the game was steady on the 40fps mark, but I got a pretty decent quality for that cost.

* Starcraft II - output 960x600 (16:10 aspect ratio) @ 30fps - 700kbps bitrate - absolutely playable at low settings with the game running at 1280x800. This is the setup I used when I had 1mb of upload speed. My in game ping was a bit affected.

* Skullgirls - output 1280x720@30fps - 1400kbps bitrate - a bit overkill on the bitrate, but these are some really good visuals for a stream under that resolution. 1000kbps is a good starting point for a 720p stream.

* Skullgirls - output 1280x720@60fps - 2250kbps bitrate - this is the setup I use for my stream, the bitrate is a bit overkill too, but I always export the VODs to youtube, so quality is a big factor for me.

Anything beyond 1k bitrate will most likely affect your ping if you got a common connection, so doublethink about that before going into some laggy matches :p

I ended up typing a ton more than I should, but the more info the better, huh? Hope it helps ya :)

Last edited:
Reactions: b0nk and dekillsage
thanks you guys i took the info and did a test stream that ended up really good

this is how it came out thanks for everyones help

Seems like if you didn't have all those gifs there you could make the game a lot bigger, I think that would look much better!!!