• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

One Big Night! One Big Show! One Big Man! One Big Band! General Discussion

So how would you beat a parry? I mean, even if it's hard to do, I'm pretty sure people will master it like some of the players I've fought in 3rd strike (had whole supers blocked countless times). Skull girls has been out for a while, and I'm pretty sure some people know by heart how many frames/hit's they'd need to parry. And why is only big band capable of doing it? shouldn't Lab zero even the playing field by allowing every character to parry? I don't want it to be taken out, I just want to know how to counter act it?

Sorry if this sounds like I'm whining, I just don't want to get raped by the sea of big band's I'll see online. (I'm still butt sore from 3rd strike)
You have a lot of leniency with your normal chains and also it counts as a hit so do launcher and upback? Command throws are going to be pretty good vs parry happy players.

Mike Z dropped this in the comment section on SRK, thought I would repost it here.

Basically it's an explanation on what and why the differences between 3s parry and BB's parry are there

Major fixes for parries:
A) You take chip damage for parrying. In 3s, characters couldn't really zone because if you parried projectiles you got to *both* not be forced to move *and* not take damage...so now you take damage as if you blocked it, or 1/3 the damage if you parried a normal attack, which negates the biggest thing parries dominated. You won't die, so you can still be Daigo, but you won't maintain the life lead forever either.

B) No move can be parried both high and low. Guess-parrying is immediately much weaker, even ignoring the fact that characters can chain and whiff-cancel normals in SG. Plus, with any assist you can immediately create an unparryable situation (mid+low) that is easily blockable.

Minor fixes:
C) You can't block/move/jump for about 20f after a successful parry. You must either attack or continue to parry. A lot of guess-parries were mostly useful because if you parried a hit and they committed to a special move you could block it and punish if you were unsure of the timing to parry/stuff the followup. Now you have to be more on the ball.

D) The parry window is significantly smaller if the motion is buffered during an attack, hitstun, or blockstun. This makes buffering parries into the end of animations prohibitively difficult vs blocking, and combines with (B) to make guess-parries even weaker.

[missed one!]
E) There are no red parries. Blocking is blocking and parrying is parrying. This is sort of the reverse of (C), where in 3s if you blocked a hit but knew the parry timing for the following hits you could turn a panic-block into a full punish.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/12/02/big...mented-in-skullgirls-beta/#comment-1148336025

With the ability to chain, you're going to be parrying 1 hit and then have to guess mid or low to parry the next attack. I expect to see a lot parry 1 hit and then do something quick or invincible.

All you get from grabbing Annie is a few years in prison.
Then you're typing this from prison, I'm assuming?

On topic, Parry, with it's chip and 1/3rd damage, seems more like a reversal tool now. Something to change the tide for a moment.

It's less a matter of age and more an issue of Parasoul wanting to be the only one in
Then you're typing this from prison, I'm assuming?
tumblr_mihkx0tCJO1rvbmclo1_400.gif

Im not sure if it's just me or is wiggling the stick back and forth on Big Bands Beat Extend (shoryuken motion foward) kinda of annoying? I kinda just wish you could just hold down the button.

Light Punch and Heavy Punch respectively
That's better, but it would be tough on pad players, so rather light and medium. Another option could be instead of just back and forth you can do any direction so you can just rotate the stick

HP is usually R1, though, so it's thumb-index-thumb-index. Or you can alternate thumbs. You have so many options.

That's better, but it would be tough on pad players, so rather light and medium. Another option could be instead of just back and forth you can do any direction so you can just rotate the stick
As a pad player I find LP/HP very comfortable. LP/MP, not so much.

Yeah, I'm not a fan, either. I know the idea was to have it be like shaking a tambourine, but I feel like the same effect can be more or less accomplished on stick with alternating LP/HP.

See, but I play controller like a fucking casual and so I like the stick shaking.

I mean, right now you can do it both ways, right? So like, what are we complaining about? You don't have to use the stick if you don't want to.

I mean, right now you can do it both ways, right? So like, what are we complaining about? You don't have to use the stick if you don't want to.
Well now I feel silly, don't I? How long's that been in?

Well now I feel silly, don't I? How long's that been in?

That's alright. If you don't read every update, you miss a lot of things. I think about... a week now maybe? Mike patched it in for the reason you stated, aha!

That's alright. If you don't read every update, you miss a lot of things. I think about... a week now maybe? Mike patched it in for the reason you stated, aha!
About three weeks, as it turns out. Patch dropped after I became familiar with the move but before I really started messing around with him, and the biggest news from that update was his size reduction, so I guess the rest got drowned out when I wasn't paying attention.

Been in the lab with this character for the past couple of days, noticed a couple things that I haven't seen posted (if this is old news, my bad, just haven't seen it):

1. None of Big Band's grounded special moves are safe on block. None of his grounded heavy normals are safe either. c.MP is the only grounded medium normal he has that's safe. Fortunately stuff like s.LK c.MPx2 seems easy enough to hit confirm before committing to something unsafe.

2. LP and MP Beat Extend are strike invincible, but HP Beat Extend is fully invincible. This one seems like a bug? In training mode HP Beat Extend has strike invincible hit boxes, and Mike's notes say all versions can be grabbed, but I tested HP Beat Extend and it beats throws whereas the other two versions do not.

1. Nothing you do is safe

2. Buggy HP Beat Extend
Noticed the first point, but I never noticed the second point.

Yeah, nothing is really safe for him... So I'm probably going to try how he plays while being SUPER defensive. Maybe he wasn't meant to make the first move...? I'm not to sure. I'm probably going to go online with him soon and test it out.

C. MK all daaaaayyyyyyy

Back