• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Pokemon

Easier breeding is a d
I think making the whole 3D world takes more time to do then 727 pokemons (+ megas). And all moves special effects. But it must have to do with time they couldn't add more post game content. This is the secound time a new version of Blues music/theme is in the game but not used.

Anyway, like I sorta said last time. I liked they made the whole "creating the most perfect IV and EV pokémon" a lot easier!

Easier breeding is a a divine gift and aside from a few cute designs and really the only very interesting thing this generation has brought to me and thats fine since its really the only major thing Pokemon needed at the moment aside from a rebalance, a boost of weaker pokemon(mawile, charizard) which megas and fairy type handled.
I loved everything about generation 5 more than any other group of Pokemon games ever done ever but the one thing that I consider a flaw was that breeding a perfect team was still near impossible with out a manipulation of the system and that I can really appreciate X/Y for.

Well, I certainly learned some interesting facts on Showdown today... I guess the biggest one being that Metang w/Eviolite is pretty unstoppable in NU, and you should run for the hills if you see one. Other than that apparently Nature Power does not count as an attack until the move actually hits. This means that Sucker Punch does not work on it, because it is technically a Status move. The more you know...
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-154761914
edit: I'm still under the name Competitive Newbie

I'm still not fully happy with this team. I'm getting bopped left and right, but I don't want to resort to using the "high tier" NU Pokemon. It's just not fun for me to have more than one on my team.

Just want to pose a question, has anyone here tried doing a Free For All in X and Y?

Here's a description, in case you don't know what that is:

Something to keep in mind, though, as that the Banlist for FFA was made in March 5, 2014. It's been a few months, so it's probably changed? I couldn't tell ya, I can't find any note of an update anywhere.

Still sounds like a fun idea, though.

I want to make a team for doubles but I really don't know where to start. When I make regular teams I choose one pokemon and build around it, replacing and adjusting as I play matches. The problem with doubles is that there are so many different strategies that involve multiple pokemon working together. There are so many new moves that didn't work well in singles but do amazingly in doubles!

So I tried out doubles today...
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-156087985

It's really different. I think I like it but not really but kind of maybe?
Oh man, I love that Beat Up/Justified combo. Ideas like that are why I love watching Doubles. It might work a bit better on something that resists Dark, like Absol, Lucario, or Cobalion. Also what is your Wigglytuff's item and EVs? That thing was doing work with Tailwind! Nice job.

I just watched the video Prisceel and I didn't know you like to run a Victini! :D did you ever get a chance to do the Liberty Island one?

Oh man, I love that Beat Up/Justified combo. Ideas like that are why I love watching Doubles. It might work a bit better on something that resists Dark, like Absol, Lucario, or Cobalion. Also what is your Wigglytuff's item and EVs? That thing was doing work with Tailwind! Nice job.
My Wigglytuff is Modest with 252 EVs in Sp. Atk and Speed. I put the leftover 4 in HP. It had a lum berry because I misread what competitive (the abillity) does :(
I'll try to replace that with a pixie plate or a life orb or even a choice specs sometime in the future~

I just watched the video Prisceel and I didn't know you like to run a Victini! :D did you ever get a chance to do the Liberty Island one?
Yes, I did do that event! It was actually the first Pokemon event I did.

Well, there was the Regigigas one I did...

didja ever name your Victini? I'm sorry, its just that Victini is my favorite Pokemon. And I really liked the event. I wish we had more of those.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I did say that I would slow down because of work and school.
A Marill! I forgot to take a picture of the capture, so all you get is the summary. I named her after @WaterMystic277. This Marill has Huge Power, so with the right training she could become a strong Water Type. I'll keep her on point for now.
Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 6.08.03 PM.png

Ah what the hell, I gave her some Protein and a Rare Candy and evolved her into Azumarill. I also taught her Defense Curl to take advantage of Rollout and her Ability. She's already become the most technical character on the team.
Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 6.16.25 PM.png

I went back to the desert to take care of the leftover trainers there, Water served well in avenging Zeriam. After that I made my way to Mauville City to speak to Wattson.
Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 6.32.48 PM.png

The old man wants me to shut off the generator in New Mauville, so I surfed around Route 110 until I found the place.
Fuckin' Tentacool, they evolve into a cool Pokémon but they're so fuckin' annoying.
Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 6.44.05 PM.png

New Mauville, I put Prisceel on point in preparation for my next catch which was…
Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 6.47.01 PM.png

A full fledged Magneton! I named it after @TechPowah. He has Sturdy, which makes him a very safe Pokémon to use in a Nuzlocke. Being an Electric/Steel Type he has high defense stats as well as a unique electrical advantage I have yet to use. The next Gym Leader is Winona, so he'll be instrumental in that fight. For now I'll keep Water with me.
Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 6.50.36 PM.png

Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 6.52.46 PM.png

I put Revenant on point since he's immune to electric attacks. I hope he doesn't get blown up though.
Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 7.09.50 PM.png

Finally! Jeez, the encounter rate in this place is ridiculously high! I used Revenant's Dig to peace out of there.
Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 7.17.25 PM.png

As soon as I got back I switched out Water for Tech Powah. I'll use her again eventually, but for now I need Tech as strong as possible. I taught him Thunderbolt with the TM24 that Wattson just gave me.
Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 7.20.38 PM.png
In the next update we explore the massive Route 119.

In Gen 3 the ability Sturdy only protects against moves like Sheer Cold, not getting knocked out in one hit. That didn't happen until Gen 5.

Last edited:
In Gen 3 the ability Sturdy only protects against moves like Sheer Cold, not getting knocked out in one hit. That didn't happen till Gen 5.
THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME THAT, HOLY SHIT.
I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE LET HIM TAKE A LETHAL HIT IF YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING.

I'm a...Magneton? Considering Magneton (Or was it Magnemite? I dunno) is one of my fav Gen 1 PKMNs that's awesome. It helps that Magneton is the best possible Mon for my name circa Gen 3 since I don't think you can get Porygon in Gen 3, especially emulated.

Last edited:
Hey @Prisceel, I just had a potentially amazing idea for your Doubles team. Since you already have that Wigglytuff/Whimsicott combo going on, I figure why not take it a step further to make that ball of fluff hit like a truck. If you give your Whimsicott Charm and use it on your Competitive Wiggs after getting your Tailwind up, your Wigglytuff will now be at +4 Special Attack, with a Tailwind behind it, and a Choice Specs Dazzling Gleam would be doing A TON of damage.

If you want to get even crazier and don't mind sacrificing Whimsicott, you could give it Memento. Use that on a Pokemon with Competitive, and that thing is at +6 (aka as high as buffs can go) Special Attack in a single turn. Now your Wigglytuff is ready to go ham on any team that is lacking Bullet Punch.

Hey @Prisceel, I just had a potentially amazing idea for your Doubles team. Since you already have that Wigglytuff/Whimsicott combo going on, I figure why not take it a step further to make that ball of fluff hit like a truck. If you give your Whimsicott Charm and use it on your Competitive Wiggs after getting your Tailwind up, your Wigglytuff will now be at +4 Special Attack, with a Tailwind behind it, and a Choice Specs Dazzling Gleam would be doing A TON of damage.

If you want to get even crazier and don't mind sacrificing Whimsicott, you could give it Memento. Use that on a Pokemon with Competitive, and that thing is at +6 (aka as high as buffs can go) Special Attack in a single turn. Now your Wigglytuff is ready to go ham on any team that is lacking Bullet Punch.
Unfortunately, Competitive (and Justified) only activate if the opponent uses the stat lowering move :c

Unfortunately, Competitive (and Justified) only activate if the opponent uses the stat lowering move :c
Didn't you activate Gallade's Justified with Ambipom's Beat Up though?

Didn't you activate Gallade's Justified with Ambipom's Beat Up though?
Oh, I guess I shouldn't have included Justified now that I've read their descriptions more carefully. Justified activates on any hit from a dark type attack where as Competitive specifically activates on the opponent's stat lowering move.

Oh, I guess I shouldn't have included Justified now that I've read their descriptions more carefully. Justified activates on any hit from a dark type attack where as Competitive specifically activates on the opponent's stat lowering move.
Dang, thought I had found an awesome exploit, oh well. Competitive is still probably the best ability for Wiggs, just in case you get Intimidated or Sticky Webbed. Or you could give it Frisk, just to get the upper hand in knowing what Items your opponent has.

I ran some calculations for our puffy (tuffy?) friend. It looks like she (or he) absolutely needs that +2 boost from Competitive to nab some key OHKOs. Without it, she almost manages to knock them out.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Wigglytuff Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 216-254 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Wigglytuff Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 428-506 (105.9 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Wigglytuff Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 300-354 (99.3 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Wigglytuff Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 594-702 (196.6 - 232.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Wigglytuff Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 153-180 (50.3 - 59.2%) -- 75.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Wigglytuff Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 304-358 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
didja ever name your Victini? I'm sorry, its just that Victini is my favorite Pokemon. And I really liked the event. I wish we had more of those.
I named it Victory. Did I mention I was terrible with names? I named my friggin' Snivy, "Leafy".
-cries-

Hey @Prisceel, I installed Pokémon Showdown on my Mac and registered as Denizen. I have no idea how this works. Right now my only Pokémon is Typhlosion 'cause he's one of my favorites, but there are loads of terms and acronyms that I don't understand so I'm probably already doing something stupid.

I'm going to take a while to get used to this. In the meantime, is there a way to add people as friends?

I named it Victory. Did I mention I was terrible with names? I named my friggin' Snivy, "Leafy".
-cries-
-pat pat- its okay. I had to look up what other people named their Victinis before I found the name for mine. "Churchill"

Hey @Prisceel, I installed Pokémon Showdown on my Mac and registered as Denizen. I have no idea how this works. Right now my only Pokémon is Typhlosion 'cause he's one of my favorites, but there are loads of terms and acronyms that I don't understand so I'm probably already doing something stupid.

I'm going to take a while to get used to this. In the meantime, is there a way to add people as friends?
Unfortunately there is no friends or contacts system on Showdown, as far as I know. If you want, I can hop on and show you the ropes with how Showdown works. I use the online version though, but there should'nt be a big difference in the layout and interface.

Unfortunately there is no friends or contacts system on Showdown, as far as I know.
If you want, I can hop on and show you the ropes with how Showdown works.
Huh, that's kinda weird. I guess it's not that big a thing yet.
No thanks, I prefer to teach myself.

Actually in my non competitive Double Meowstic team (Both with their hidden abilities) my male meowstic's charm worked with my Female Meowstic's competitive Rawr . The More You Know===☆

Actually in my non competitive Double Meowstic team (Both with their hidden abilities) my male meowstic's charm worked with my Female Meowstic's competitive Rawr . The More You Know===☆
Weird, I just tried out using Charm on my Wigglytuff with Competitive and nothing happened besides the attack drop

Weird, I just tried out using Charm on my Wigglytuff with Competitive and nothing happened besides the attack drop
Oh wait, oh wait now I remember the both times that I used that team the other teams had Intimidate I was just misremembering it, sorry . . . I could of sworn . . .

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this NU team. Learning how to predict switches and do double switches as well. First replay is just a cool and clutch match.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-155933801

On this second match, I thought I was a goner just from looking at the team preview. Choice Specs Typhlosion? Life Orb Feraligatr?! Choice Scarf Rotom-F?!? Eviolite Gurdurr?!?! Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!!! Somehow managed to pull through with some predictions and smart plays.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-155930490

@Agent York inspired me to play NU, so here's a match~
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-156346969

My team involved a core that involved the use of abilities that absorb moves that would be super effectives against others. Plusle has Volt Absorb for Lapras, who has Water Absorb for Rapidash, who has Flash Fire for Avalugg. Audino is my cleric of choice. Cradily is my special wall and hazards setter (he also has Storm Drain to help out with the water type tanking) and Avalugg is my physical wall and spinner.

Unfortunately there is no friends or contacts system on Showdown, as far as I know.
I think you can. I remember one time (I wasn't registered) and had fun on a random battle with someone else. He then sended a battle request to me for a rematch.

Think I shall also install it. Becous why not?

Back