• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Poll: Are the Beta changes ready for prime-time?

Should the Beta IPS/undizzy/counterhit changes be implemented into the Real Game?

• Yes! RIGHT NOW.

Votes: 112 34.6%
  • Yes, but wait and put them in with Big Band.

Votes: 54 16.7%
  • No. I don't like them / they need further work.

Votes: 116 35.8%
  • I don't care. I will continue playing/avoiding the game the same amount either way.

Votes: 42 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the mega combo craze was turning folks off fighters in Japan finally? I say about damn time.

Long combos drive away players and are boring to watch when you're on the receiving end.
I remember during the Kickstarter campaign going on the IRC chat and people posting full minute long combos and complaining that they'd be removed from the game. They thought it was awesome to watch and didn't see anything wrong with it being used in play.

Reactions: scrubbyscum999
Damn I got here late, and missed the poll. Here is a Wall of text, anyway. In short I vote no, and here are the reasons why.

Don't shorten combos for the sakes of it...
------------------------------------------------

Shorter Combos are okay, but the issue is that you can't forced/hamfist it. It should be natural to game's system, not just because people hate long combos. It's not like Blazeblue's method of shorten combo is universally agree upon. SG Undizzies aren't like mvc2 in every single way. If there was a better way of shorting combos, then the community agrees upon for it. I don't really think this is it, those

Shorten Combos is great, but don't do it just because of spectators/haters. They are not going to play SG even if it was coolest game on the block. Do you see tournament numbers of KOF being as big as SF4/MVC3. They will always hate SG no matter what you do, don't bother catering to them. Which brings to my later point....

Don't ALWAYS cater to people don't want to play SGs.
------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to see new players in, but it's not like they going to be rushing in at this point. There always be people who hate SG. Trust me when I say this you can't convince everybody, so don't bother. I know people who believe that SG online netcode is worse than MVC3's netcode. Sometimes Patches don't always change the core aspect about the game. Some people just don't want to play this game because of the short roster, among of other things. They are not going to be paying attention to the game right now. There will be MVC2/GG/Third Strike player will dislike this game too, so don't expect them to being play this immediately.

Pandering to the outside of the fanbase is it mistake that many modern games make, and regret later. Not only do you alternate the community, but there is no guarantee that Lowest commons detonator/casual comes to play. Making this game fanciest spectator game isn't more imporant than making good game to play.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't not compare SG long combos to other games, it's not as bad people think it is.

SG having powerful resets will still make people cry like babies. ESPECIALLY IF YOU MAKE THEM AS GOOD AS THEY TRULY WERE IN MVC2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skullgirl long combos will not damage this game as much as anti-long comboers think. MVC3 suffers because has ugly incoming mixups, TODs that convert anywhere on screen, and stupid mixups, dumb hitboxes, etc. It's not just long combos that makes MVC3 a one player-ish game. It's fact that characters like Zero/Vergil have a TOD that can hit you whatever you do, and put you 2-5 50/50s kill all three of you characters. Skullgirls don't have most of those problems, and most of those problems can be fixed. TODs in this game are not convertable in every instance, nor are the incoming mixups unblockable or neverending 50/50S skewed for the attacker's favor.

Defining long combos are debatable,there hasn't been a establish limit on how short the combos need to be. 20-24 second combo here isn't as bad as other combos I have seen in other games.

Remember the original vortex was not Akuma from SF4. It was Magneto in MVC2 who coined the term "vortex", and it was because how fast/dominate he was after he touches you. Magneto has pretty damn short combos in MVC2, but his mixups/pressure can still make it seem like you are stuck ridiculous amount of mixups. As long as powerful rushdown, oki, pressure,etc exist, there won't be fair and honest "netrual" game. Neutral game refers to the both players have equal position, and trying to get a hit. A game with a powerful oki,devasting rushdown, pressure,etc is not neutral game. Short combos/attacks does not make a game about solely about "netural game". What they probably want is some type of footsies, and a game without too much mixups/momentum shift of any kind. It doesn't matter how short combos, a game focusing on netrual game doesn't too much powerful.

There always be people crying like babies after they get hit first. Nothing will change that.

Think what's best for SG, not what makes other games good or bad.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TL:DR, SG needs to be it's own game, it's own community, and fanbase. Pander don't to people don't like this game. Support people who will continue to support your game, Mike Z.

1. The original vortex was Vega (Claw) from ST.

2. Did you see those MvC2 vids posted by BrokenLoose?

1. The original vortex was Vega (Claw) from ST.

2. Did you see those MvC2 vids posted by BrokenLoose?
I get that, but I use MVC2 Magneto as an example where short combos don't remove overwhelming mixups/offesnive. Once a strong rushdown offensive hits you, you are still going to get mixuped.

2. I watch MVC2 all of the time. Trust me when I say making it like MVC2 will never bring these to the game. There just too many things that alternate these people. What's point of making imitator of MVC2, when people just go to the real version? You don't see people playing yatagarasu being inspired third strike. I can show steams of people rant about SG as we speak.

Don't cater to people who don't like SG in the first place. Cater to you want, and fuck everybody else.

Locking thread because it outlived purpose now when Mike stated the Beta changes are going to happen sometime after NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.