• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

POLL: Keep Fukua in the game?

Should Fukua stay in the game?

• Yes!

Votes: 383 88.7%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 50 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This character needs to stay, how is this not amazing. Plus a lot of people complain about the lack of variety with characters, so one more would only help.

I voted "no" because I don't want to see a character with a set of normals that already exists.

Also, I don't like joke characters.

Also, because in QM it would be too hard to tell if an opponent picked Fillia or Fukua.

Also, because fuck joke characters.

Thank you for explaining. These actually seem like legitimate reasons to not include Fukua permanently.

The only thing she needs is different select art and a portrait, then people will stop complaining that you can't tell the difference.

As for me? Obviously yes. I love Skullgirls, and the more the merrier. Lab Zero is one of the best developers I've ever had the pleasure of backing during the kickstarter, and I'm so happy to see them succeed.

As long as she's balanced and no one somehow thinks Skullgirls and Fukua is any less egregious than SF4 and Decapre, I'm cool with it.

The only thing I'm concerned about is since Filia and Fukua look exactly the same other than the colors, it may not be easy to tell at a glance which one you're fighting. I have no idea how much of a problem this actually is, I need to actually play with the character a bit to figure that out, but it's the only potential reason I would see against having her in the game. You could look at the name at the top of the screen or just remember which palettes are Filia's and which ones are Fukua's, but neither of these pass the "idiot in a hurry" test.
Indeed, fuck jokes, and for that matter fuck the concept of joking, or levity, or having fun or feeling good.

The only thing I'm concerned about is since Filia and Fukua look exactly the same other than the colors, it may not be easy to tell at a glance which one you're fighting. I have no idea how much of a problem this actually is, I need to actually play with the character a bit to figure that out, but it's the only potential reason I would see against having her in the game. You could look at the name at the top of the screen or just remember which palettes are Filia's and which ones are Fukua's, but neither of these pass the "idiot in a hurry" test.

Indeed, fuck jokes, and for that matter fuck the concept of joking, or levity, or having fun or feeling good.
Fukua has a unique idle stance which is different than Filia's, so there's also that.

a.aaa-No-fun-allowed..jpg

One thing I like about Skullgirls compared to other fighters is that each character is extremely unique compared to any other from the roster. They have a completely different body shape, behaviour, "class", etc. No Mortal Kombat ninjas or SF Ken clones all over the place. I always felt complaints about a small roster in SG are weak since 8 unique characters > 20 chars where every three/four are clones of each other, differentiated mostly by maybe some specials.

That being said, I didn't vote no. I didn't vote at all, yet. Fukua breaks the above pattern/rule and I don't know what to think about it, yet. Digesting the idea, weighting the pros and cons, all that jazz, but just decided to add my two cents.

Okay, if Fukua stays and we need a way to differentiate them, I'd legit like to see a mask be put on her. And that's how we can tell. If we're running with the joke I'd like to see it run to space.

Glad to find someone else who understands!

Yeah this. Also you can look at her characters icon and its the upside down version of Feelia's if that helps.

Keep her in the game.

Fukua has a unique idle stance which is different than Filia's, so there's also that.
People don't really idle that much in this game. They're always jumping around doing stuff.

Okay, if Fukua stays and we need a way to differentiate them, I'd legit like to see a mask be put on her. And that's how we can tell. If we're running with the joke I'd like to see it run to space.
This sort of requires redrawing every frame of animation. I don't think they can actually do that.

I voted "no" because I don't want to see a character with a set of normals that already exists.

Also, I don't like joke characters.

Also, because in QM it would be too hard to tell if an opponent picked Fillia or Fukua.

so does that mean you also have a strong dilike for Double? despite how she is far different than every other character?

My view on her being "unoriginal", a waste, or a joke character is that people DO play Ryu and Ken. And will not play the other, and swear by their main. Even though they have the same specials just with different properties.
Fukua is even more different than that! she has completely different specials. not even remotely the same in that aspect. Completely different supers, too. In that, I think that justifies her at least being a viable option to stay in the game.

I think Fukua will be a great addition as long as her animations are unique. She has her own idle, but it looked like her walk animation is the same as Filia's ( Haven't played yet, based on a video someone else uploaded ). As long as it's easy enough to differentiate the two while they're both on screen I'm happy.

I think as long as balancing and working on her doesn't cut into time spent on other new characters and balance changes then w/e, let it rock. Would be nice to have her look more different in some way or another.

I'm in the middle somewhere. Part of her charm to me, is that she's got that "MK1 Reptile" quality, where she could sneak her way in and out at any time.

I say they take her out for now to dabble with her in the off-hours, find some time to give her new splash art and stuff, and then toss her back in during a lull period. It might be a nice way to sprinkle in some hype while the final DLC characters are being worked on.

Either that, or I guess they could just leave her in the Beta for balancing. With how low-priority tweaking her would be though, they probably wouldn't want to hold her back from console players for that long.

This sort of requires redrawing every frame of animation. I don't think they can actually do that.

Yeah yeah, just wishful thinking...

I think Fukua will be a great addition as long as her animations are unique. She has her own idle, but it looked like her walk animation is the same as Filia's ( Haven't played yet, based on a video someone else uploaded ). As long as it's easy enough to differentiate the two while they're both on screen I'm happy.

And that would be the case but most of their normals are the same and the supers and specials are just altered versions of already existing animations. I myself think, "I can't distinguish them because recolor" isn't as strong in practice as it is on paper though, but we should still be real mindful about it...

upload_2014-4-1_15-57-56.png

Salutations from Wario! WAWAWAWAWA!

On an unrelated note, is Fukua available for PS3?
I heard she's also on XBL!!!

Welp.

Over 100 supporters strong and counting. The forum data says that we have 214 members in this club. Granted, that included guests and robots, but that's still 7 short of half of the entire forum.

I think we've reached a conclusion.

Why not? Game certainly needs more characters whether they are semi-clones or not. Plenty of other fighters have embraced the clone character renaissance period. We already have Double and Robo Fortune is coming so SG was never shy about recycling animations.

Fukua could definitely use some more polishing considering it took Mike less then a week to make her, but otherwise she is unique enough in her own right to occupy a slot. Honestly she is already more unique compared to Decapre just from having a different idle animation to Filia alone.

We already have Double and Robo Fortune is coming so SG was never shy about recycling animations.
See, something about this statement bothers me...

Double has animations altered due to her transforming from balls of gush and flesh to turn into the character's attacks she's mimicking, as well as having several animations of her own. While she's entirely derivative of other characters, I wouldn't personally say she recycled all her animations.

Robo-Fortune also was first introduced to us as an additional palette. She's only been upgraded to a full character due to the goal requirement being met on the IGG campaign. We also don't really have enough information to determine whether or not she will just be Ms. Fortune's moves with her own flair and light differences.

I dunno, man, life is hard.

...but is she a charge character?:PUN:

Still haven't cast a vote. Letting this whole thing simmer for a bit, see what the proficient can find in terms of gameplay and what Lab Zero can do, resourcewise, in terms of polishing her. I think it's too early to cast a definitive opinion, especially with the OMG! NEW CHARACTER! mindset in full effect.
As said before, I'm not opposed to Fukua herself given she's Skullgirls Shen Long (and not the jab at Capcom she solely appears to be to those unaware of her history) but I am considerably against the idea of expanding the roster by "Frankensteining" the roster. If Fukua can have a bit more things to call her own (art, voice, a couple of frames here and there) and undergo proper testing, then by all means, let the girl stay.

Regarding her "standing" in the Skullgirls universe: I side with those saying she is best left remaining as a non-canon character with no significant connections with the cast (not saying she shouldn't have interactions just that they shouldn't be canon).
But I do think, qualitywise, she should ideally be on the same level as everyone as that would be the real jab at you-know-who: "Our non-canon April Fools clone character designed in a week has more variety and thought put into her than your "NEW" character." :P

Here be her movelist, straight from EventHubs. No charge moves, though...

Butterfly Kiss - HK in the air
-> Heartseeker - HP after Bufferfly Kiss connects

Love Dart - D,DF,F+P / 236+P, on the ground or in the air

Platonic Drillationship - D,DF,F+K / 236+K

Tender Embrace - D,DF,F+LP+LK / 236+LP+LK

Inevitable Snuggle - D,DB,B+LP+LK / 214+LP+LK

Blown Kiss (Lv 1 super) - D,DF,F+PP / 236+PP, on the ground or in the air

Best Friends Forever! (Lv 1 super) - D,DF,F+KK / 236+KK

Twice Shy (Lv 3 super) - D,DB,B+PP / 214+PP

Head Over Heels (Lv 5 super) - 360+LP+LK

I will say this: after playing a match with @Banazama today, it was hard to tell the difference between Filia and Fukua if they're both in different colors that are not references. One is never standing still enough to see her idle.

Maybe even to just add a special shimmer, glow or aura to her, and it'll be solved. But all in all I still want her in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back