• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Pre-block inconsistencies

zeknife

Reaction score
Steam
zeknife
Parasoul Squigly Big Band
Pre-block is kinda weird! Most moves, including all normals, will cause pre-block throughout their entire startup AND recovery, leading to some silly situations where you are locked in place even when you are at a massive frame advantage, or where whatever was going to hit you has already whiffed and you still don't get to go anywhere

Here are the moves I could find that for some reason are an exception to this rule:
(That is to say they will allow you to jump back immediately after exiting blockstun, even as the opponent is recovering)
Updo, brass knuckle, draugen punch, drag 'n' bite, divekicks (Possibly other squigly specials that are + on block), hornet bomber, item crash, lp stinger, diamond deflector

(I'd kinda prefer if this was the rule)

Things that trigger pre-block that probably shouldn't:
(Some of these also trigger pre-block throughout their entire recovery, whereas some don't)
Luger replica, ringlet spike, ringlet psych, hp bang, painwheel nails, hk buer (Debatable), dead cross/vial/air variations, fukua fireballs/air fireballs, silver chord, tremolo
Excellebella (Only on the active frames, it seems, so it still catches up-back reliably)
All projectile supers, except Fukuas fireball super/BFF (Getting locked in place when you are trying to back away from peacock after crossing up Argus is pretty obnoxious)
Catheads

Also, IPS/undizzy bursts

Things that don't trigger pre-block that probably should:
Savage bypass, pummel horse (An overhead hitgrab that beats up-back?), vial load (Debatable)

These were all I could find, but maybe there are others!
@Mike_Z

Last edited:
Bypass should, Pummel Horse is intentional (don't upback!), Vial Load nope.

Projectiles should trigger preblock; tremolo definitely should, it hits low. Catheads like, the activation? Cuz the heads themselves don't, they can't.

[edit] Bypass and Ringlet Psych are fixed.

Last edited:
Projectiles should trigger preblock; tremolo definitely should, it hits low.
In that case, napalm shot, george, and item drop are still exceptions.

Also, tremolo doesn't hit low, unless that is some secret upcoming change

Edit: And yes the cathead activation

Edit 2: Clone moves and elizas servants are also sort of projectiles that don't do any pre-block stuff, not that I think they should

Last edited:
About Tremolo - oh, oops, tired. It hit low very early on.

Napalm Shot and L George are fixed. M/H George and item drop are okay not causing it since they are longish animations and don't hit you immediately (or can be made not to).

So is that what I discovered a part of in this thread that no one looked at?

About Tremolo - oh, oops, tired. It hit low very early on.

Napalm Shot and L George are fixed. M/H George and item drop are okay not causing it since they are longish animations and don't hit you immediately (or can be made not to).
While I have your attention, would it be alright to elaborate on the recovery of moves triggering pre-block as well (post-block?), and why some seemingly unrelated specials don't?

It strikes me as a bit weird how the point character can do some slow long-recovery move in a blockstring, then call assist, and you'll be unable to move backwards because the point characters recovery is keeping you in place
I'm having trouble imagining situations where this is a good thing, but I haven't really considered all the possible situations where it might come into play.

Edit: Here is an example of what I mean

Last edited:
While I have your attention, would it be alright to elaborate
Yeah, I know what you mean, you didn't have to write all that.
Some moves are multiple states, so I can tag only the startup and recovery. Most are not, so the entire thing is marked as an attack.
It's fixable but not easily, and it would require going through every attack.

It doesn't bother me a whole lot because the Versus series puts you into preblock any time there is a projectile or other active hitbox anywhere on the screen regardless of distance to you, so most of the time you can't move back at all because either a projectile or assist is out. This is an improvement. :^P

[edit] So, y'know, it'll eventually get fixed.

Reactions: IsaVulpes
Would this at all affect things like SOID and/or assists hitting someone up-backing?

I despise being hit by SOID from fullscreen because I'm trying to jump.

Would this at all affect things like SOID and/or assists hitting someone up-backing?

I despise being hit by SOID from fullscreen because I'm trying to jump.
Not from fullscreen, nope.