• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Problems with Skullgirls on Steam

Trinitronity

Unlimited Force Robot Master and MUGEN Creator
Reaction score
Steam
TrinitroMan1
Hello everyone, my name is Trinitronity, and I have both the full version and the Endless Beta version of Skullgirls on my Steam, and I have the Squigly DLC for the full version. I really like this game a lot, but I have one serious problem with it.

When I start the game, it works normally, just how it should, at first. However, if I play this game for too long, my notebook shuts itself down for no reason. And no, my notebook does NOT go to sleep mode. It literally shuts itself down.

How can I fix that problem? And please don't tell me to buy a new PC or notebook, because my notebook is not that old (it has Windows 7). Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
It just sounds like your notebook can't handle it. Just because it's relatively new doesn't mean it's up to snuff. Though Skullgirls shouldn't require a powerhouse to run, it could also be another problem with your notebook (maybe it overheats? someone elses laptop was doing that at NEC when they played too much). How about some specs? I don't know what to do with those, but someone else may.

Also, have you tried to run with lowered quality settings?

About the specs, let's see:
  • my notebook is an acer ASPIRE 5750G with an 64-Bit Windows 7
  • my processor is an Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz
  • my notebook has 8GB DDR3 Memory, 750GB HDD and a 6-cell Li-ion battery
  • my notebook has 2 graphic cards: Intel HD Grahpics Family & NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
That is all I know about my notebook in terms of specs...

Probably an overheating issue; happens to me every now and then, too.

If you haven't in a while, take out the fan, make sure its vent is free of dust/lint, then pop it back in.

An overheating issue, you say?
That's odd, since I only have got this kind of problems with Skullgirls...
...maybe it really is such a big game, that my notebook heats itself up.
Also, I rather not open up my notebook, since I'm afraid that I could screw up something.
However, you still gave me a good idea of how I could possibly solve that, so thank you for that...

Reactions: RetroStation
Try running the game in 2D mode and see if it overheats then. Which graphics card are you using? And have you cleaned the fans? That could very well lead to overheating. To clean the fans, a can of compressed air should very well do the trick.

Hell, back when I had a desktop my 8500 GT's fan mount melted off. Luckily I know a dude who knows how to fix things cleverly (It's in his computer now, being held together by zip ties and a CPU fan.).

Okay, tried it out in 2D mode, and the problem still persists.
Sadly, I don't have a can of compressed air, but I at least have blown into the fan with a hairdryer.
Also, I will not only buy a can of compressed air soon, but also a notebook cooler as well.

Last edited:
Also, I will not only buy a can of compressed air soon, but also a notebook cooler as well.

I wouldn't waste money. Notebook coolers tend to blow air at the bottom of the case. Unless you can position a fan right underneath the vents a notebook cooler is worthless, and even then their effectiveness is questionable. You're not going to see an appreciable difference when running an intensive application like a game.

My Desktop computer actually did this once my fan stopped running at full speed and had to be replaced, I'd be totally fine on the net then if I ran a game, I could maybe 10-20 minutes before it just instantly shut down, I'm pretty sure it does it to prevent melting or damaging parts.

I wouldn't waste money. Notebook coolers tend to blow air at the bottom of the case. Unless you can position a fan right underneath the vents a notebook cooler is worthless, and even then their effectiveness is questionable. You're not going to see an appreciable difference when running an intensive application like a game.
Well, then do you have a suggestion on what I should do aside from changing the fan? Because I really only want to use it as a last resort...

I feel like your computer should be able to run the game fine in 2D mode. My notebook has around the same specs and while it's not a powerhouse the game runs without overheating. If you do use compressed air to blow the fans out, you might be surprised by the difference it makes. DON'T use a hair dryer for this, it's not strong enough to make a difference and the heat might end up damaging your computer (probably won't, but be careful).

I feel like your computer should be able to run the game fine in 2D mode. My notebook has around the same specs and while it's not a powerhouse the game runs without overheating. If you do use compressed air to blow the fans out, you might be surprised by the difference it makes. DON'T use a hair dryer for this, it's not strong enough to make a difference and the heat might end up damaging your computer (probably won't, but be careful).
Well, I got the same problems with 2D mode as well.
Also, I sadly don't have a can of compressed air and I sadly also don't know, where I could get it.
However, I do have a vacuum cleaner. Will that work, too?

Hello everyone, my name is Trinitronity, and I have both the full version and the Endless Beta version of Skullgirls on my Steam, and I have the Squigly DLC for the full version. I really like this game a lot, but I have one serious problem with it.

When I start the game, it works normally, just how it should, at first. However, if I play this game for too long, my notebook shuts itself down for no reason. And no, my notebook does NOT go to sleep mode. It literally shuts itself down.

How can I fix that problem? And please don't tell me to buy a new PC or notebook, because my notebook is not that old (it has Windows 7). Thanks in advance!
@mcpeanuts was having the same issue last year with a laptop he bought. If I recall correctly it wasn't even hot when it would shut down, implying it wasn't overheating. I know he ended up returning the laptop

@mcpeanuts was having the same issue last year with a laptop he bought. If I recall correctly it wasn't even hot when it would shut down, implying it wasn't overheating. I know he ended up returning the laptop
It turned out it would do that even when Skullgirls wasn't running. I never did figure out what the problem was. I only had the thing for a week before I returned it.

Don't use a vacuum cleaner either. Or at least, I wouldn't recommend it, you risk damaging your computer. You can pick up cans of compressed air from office supplies stores like Staples or Officemax. I'm pretty sure you could order online too.

It turned out it would do that even when Skullgirls wasn't running. I never did figure out what the problem was. I only had the thing for a week before I returned it.
I didn't even realize that :o What a piece of junk!

What compressed air blowing from the outside does:
- Push all the dust into your laptop
- 2 weeks later the vents are clogged again, except worse because you have all that dust from before now on the inside as well
Don't get why people are recommending this.

You should download something like SpeedFan and check the temperature first either way.

Well, good news everybody:
After cleaning my notebook with an vacuum cleaner and buying an cooler (which is functional, BTW), I can finally feel the joy of playing Skullgirls for a long period. Long enough for me to even study the characters down to the core.
In other news, I made myself familiar enough with Filia, Squigly, Peacock and Big Band (especially me being able to TUBATUBA was a great sucess for me).
So I guess case is closed, though I would really like to know, how I can play with you guys, if I don't even live in America anymore...

Well, good news everybody:
After cleaning my notebook with an vacuum cleaner and buying an cooler (which is functional, BTW), I can finally feel the joy of playing Skullgirls for a long period. Long enough for me to even study the characters down to the core.
In other news, I made myself familiar enough with Filia, Squigly, Peacock and Big Band (especially me being able to TUBATUBA was a great sucess for me).
So I guess case is closed, though I would really like to know, how I can play with you guys, if I don't even live in America anymore...

I was gonna add that you could lower your resolution, but it looks like your issue is pretty much fixed. Also you can still play online. If you're using the lobbies, just set your search for North America (East or West Coast). Plus you can always invite your friends to private matches or whatever. I've played against people in Japan and Australia, and while there was some lag, it seemed to work fine.

Ah, okay. Thanks.
By the way, what people of this forum would you suggest me for online matches?