• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

PS4 Player base....?

Brostradamus

Reaction score
PSN
Brostradamus--
Filia Ms. Fortune Fukua
Seriously, is it non existent? I search for games in my part of the country and I get the same one or two people constantly. One of which has a terrible connection, the other always disconnects at the character select screen. Apparently absolutely no one is playing anywhere else either. We really need to get the hype out about this game.. I can't see why it's not popular. Is it the mainly all girl cast or what? It's a Marvel 2 spiritual successor with the perfect balance. I just don't get it.
And while I'm here, can I ask why we can't directly open up people's profiles before or after a match like you can in SF4? That would make things great as well. Love you lab zero but maybe a little more advertising would go a long way.

I search for games in my part of the country
All players have to manually select another country that isn't North America (West Coast).

Most people don't do that and leave it at default.
This means you're unable to find the people that are searching for matches that are in your area because your locations are set differently.

I have plenty of people joining my lobbies under North America (West Coast) that have 400 ping to me because they are actually in Europe or East Coast... etc.

Try setting it back to default and search for all players and hopefully you'll see more people and hopefully some of them will be close enough to you?
We really need to get the hype out about this game.. I can't see why it's not popular. Is it the mainly all girl cast or what? It's a Marvel 2 spiritual successor with the perfect balance. I just don't get it.
The PC version is jam packed with players and very very active.
It has better netcode, performance, lobbies...

Most players and especially the tournament players prefer PC over PS3/4.

All players have to manually select another country that isn't North America (West Coast).

Most people don't do that and leave it at default.
This means you're unable to find the people that are searching for matches that are in your area because your locations are set differently.

The PC version is jam packed with players and very very active.
It has better netcode, performance, lobbies...

Most players and especially the tournament players prefer PC over PS3/4.

I don't have a reliable PC to run this game on, and I'd prefer to play 2nd encore while learning the trial combos and such so switching platforms just doesn't make sense for me. I also said that I'm not finding many other people in the rest of the country either when I switch the search terms.. It's on "any" 99% of the time due to the lack of players overall, and most of the time I'm simply finding people with 400 ping. I know my connection is flawless so it can't be that. I just don't think there's enough people playing this awesome game on ps4 and it's sad to say. I don't see what the PC version holds over the ps4 version, I seriously think that the ps4 port needs more exposure.

I don't have a reliable PC to run this game on.
PC version of Skullgirls runs on most toasters and awful laptops.
It doesn't have the memory limitations that got in the way of the PS3 versions performance.
Might be worth a try?

You can refund any game for any reason including 'This game doesn't run well' on steam with the new refund option.

I don't see what the PC version holds over the ps4 version, I seriously think that the ps4 port needs more exposure.
Lobbies, better netcode, no disconnects, larger player base and you don't have to buy a PS4.

There's no reason for the large player base to migrate to a different platform.

But yes it does sound like PS3/4 could use some more players!

Yeah, I've been PS3 only since I got the game over a year ago, and have recommended it to other PSN friends. My PC is in an odd live/work situation where my boss/business partner & family live in the same house as me. I'd love to try a fighting game on a PC, but would have to be in a different living situation.

PS3 I can do on the weekend when I visit my bro, and I've used the matchmaking topic here. Looking forward to PS3 lobbies & am curious how the player base will be affected. If PS4 can cross play w/PS3 currently, I'll be glad to play if the connection works. Just send an invite or I can send one.

Just wait until the lobbies are implemented. That will make having a stable player-base much easier instead of hunting for one via quick matches. Sony SG online community will be fine especially with cross-play that has you play with PS3/Vita players too. A lot of the fighting game enthusiasts prefer console in general and expect a surge of players whenever 2nd Encore goes on sale in PSN. It's nowhere near as dead as the 360 playerbase.

And while I'm here, can I ask why we can't directly open up people's profiles before or after a match like you can in SF4?
You can't open profiles before a match because that's how people choose not to fight you.

That would make things great as well. Love you lab zero but maybe a little more advertising would go a long way.
Love you too, you got money to pay for the (certainly not free) advertising you want us to do? :^P

You can't open profiles before a match because that's how people choose not to fight you.

Love you too, you got money to pay for the (certainly not free) advertising you want us to do? :^P

I'm not sure what you mean by "choose not to fight you"
They can see my psn in the character select screen and know it's the dude that destroyed them a match ago with filia and they usually disconnect before making it past the select screen anyway. Every fighting game has a profile viewer before and after a match, though these games all have lobbies whilst SG does not. I'd at least like to be able to say GG to a good match. I don't have flawless memory to be memorizing people's names and manually searching them through psn friend search.

And no I don't have money to be paying for the usual type of advertising you're referring to but I am buying my friends copies of this game with the money I work for and spreading hella love around through word of mouth as well. I've spent at least 125 bucks so far on multiple digital download's for friend's on their ps4's via paypal to their wallet. Advertising would get your company paid through sales, and give us a better experience to boot. It's a win win.

To the guy saying I should play on PC, dude you're intentionally missing the point. I know my ps4 will run it better than my PC, hell I have a copy on PC but I don't feel the consistency on my PC the way I do with the PS4. My point is that I wish there were more players on PS4. Maybe lobbies and other features might just bring them in. Maybe if more people knew about the game in general, idk. I saw SG on the psn store front page for about a week. I bought it 2 days after release, and haven't seen a mention of it since. Sad because other games like ass creed and COD sit up there for months.

I appreciate the response everyone. Thank you Mike, for ushering a new era of dem COMBOS, I don't just want this game to exist, I want it to thrive!

I'd at least like to be able to say GG to a good match. I don't have flawless memory to be memorizing people's names and manually searching them through psn friend search.
SG SHOULD be adding all of your opponents to your Recently Met players list, so you can find them there. That's why I decided it was okay to skip displaying info.
I know it does this on PS3 and 360, I forgot to check if it does on PS4. Tell me if it does not, and it will get fixed!

I'm not sure what you mean by "choose not to fight you"
In BBCT, it showed your opponent's fight card and name before you chose to accept the match with them.
For the people who played V-13, that meant going ENTIRE DAYS without having anyone accept a match with them. So we do not show information until after you have at least accepted.

They can see my psn in the character select screen and know it's the dude that destroyed them a match ago with filia and they usually disconnect before making it past the select screen anyway.
In SG, if you quit a match on character select after you can see who your opponent is, you are given a loss the same as if you quit during the match, so the people quitting are costing themselves rank in Ranked. It's the best we can do short of not showing their name at ALL before you fight them, but Sony/MS won't let us do that. Otherwise I'd do that.

Every fighting game has a profile viewer before and after a match
Every fighting game also doesn't have SG's tournament mode, hold-start-to-pause, a hitbox viewer in training mode, automatic framedata, etc. The "every fighting game has" argument doesn't really work. :^P
That aside, I already explained why I intentionally don't want to show anything before you ACCEPT the match at least.
No profile after, is because we're a small company and didn't have the resources to spare on a comparatively useless feature (vs say, the game itself). Same reason we don't have a Versus screen or Fight Request training mode - there simply weren't enough work hours to make those. Plus SG doesn't really keep any profile stats to speak of anyway...

Advertising would get your company paid through sales, and give us a better experience to boot. It's a win win.
This is probably true, but you completely missed my point.
We can't pay for advertising because we can't PAY for it. So even if it would be good for SG, if it costs $35,000*, we don't HAVE $35,000 so we can't do it. See?
Good idea or not, it is virtually impossible for us to DO. We had the Indiegogo money. That's...all we had, yo. It's not that we don't want to advertise, it's that we can't.

* advertising is not cheap.

SG SHOULD be adding all of your opponents to your Recently Met players list, so you can find them there. That's why I decided it was okay to skip displaying info.
I know it does this on PS3 and 360, I forgot to check if it does on PS4. Tell me if it does not, and it will get fixed!

In BBCT, it showed your opponent's fight card and name before you chose to accept the match with them.
For the people who played V-13, that meant going ENTIRE DAYS without having anyone accept a match with them. So we do not show information until after you have at least accepted.

In SG, if you quit a match on character select after you can see who your opponent is, you are given a loss the same as if you quit during the match, so the people quitting are costing themselves rank in Ranked. It's the best we can do short of not showing their name at ALL before you fight them, but Sony/MS won't let us do that. Otherwise I'd do that.

Every fighting game also doesn't have SG's tournament mode, hold-start-to-pause, a hitbox viewer in training mode, automatic framedata, etc. The "every fighting game has" argument doesn't really work. :^P
That aside, I already explained why I intentionally don't want to show anything before you ACCEPT the match at least.
No profile after, is because we're a small company and didn't have the resources to spare on a comparatively useless feature (vs say, the game itself). Same reason we don't have a Versus screen or Fight Request training mode - there simply weren't enough work hours to make those. Plus SG doesn't really keep any profile stats to speak of anyway...

This is probably true, but you completely missed my point.
We can't pay for advertising because we can't PAY for it. So even if it would be good for SG, if it costs $35,000*, we don't HAVE $35,000 so we can't do it. See?
Good idea or not, it is virtually impossible for us to DO. We had the Indiegogo money. That's...all we had, yo. It's not that we don't want to advertise, it's that we can't.

* advertising is not cheap.

Dude I understand you entirely... Though figuratively speaking, almost every single multiplayer game allows you to straight up pull a PSN profile up prior and post match. Not just fighting games, and hell I love how jam packed this game is with technical features to boot. In this regard I'm not talking about fight records/cards, I mean direct/quick access to friend requests, messages, party invites, just the straight PSN account page. I honestly haven't seen anyone in my recent players list for SG, idk if it's a bug on my end but I wouldn't be asking for this feature if I hadn't explored that option bro.

On a side note, I find it almost impossible to learn from losses when I'm getting destroyed by what seems like infinite loops but in reality are just nearly invisible resets by random teams and tag in combinations. It's either I face someone who doesn't block, or someone who just got back from evo top 8. If there was a indiegogo for lobbies and a ranked match search, I'd drop cash every pay check possible just to see it happen.

In regards to the advertising thing.. I wasn't aware that it costed 35k to advertise, and was actually thinking along the lines of twitter and facebook promotion that usually nets organic results sub 100$ at most. This is based on my old merch company's profit through previous advertising endeavors. However in hindsight, that might seem like a weak cop out. I was under the assumption that you guys were picked up by a publisher to make 2nd encore, so forgive my ignorance.

Thanks for the insight, and sorry if I came off as entitled by any means. I did not want to seem that way.
(on the real though.. training room fight request plssssssssss ;D)
Stay rad.

On a side note, I find it almost impossible to learn from losses when I'm getting destroyed by what seems like infinite loops but in reality are just nearly invisible resets by random teams and tag in combinations. It's either I face someone who doesn't block, or someone who just got back from evo top 8. If there was a indiegogo for lobbies and a ranked match search, I'd drop cash every pay check possible just to see it happen.

In regards to the advertising thing.. I wasn't aware that it costed 35k to advertise, and was actually thinking along the lines of twitter and facebook promotion that usually nets organic results sub 100$ at most. This is based on my old merch company's profit through previous advertising endeavors. However in hindsight, that might seem like a weak cop out. I was under the assumption that you guys were picked up by a publisher to make 2nd encore, so forgive my ignorance.

Thanks for the insight, and sorry if I came off as entitled by any means. I did not want to seem that way.
(on the real though.. training room fight request plssssssssss ;D)
Stay rad.
From what I understand

- Lobbies were added since the PC release. They are just not in the PS4 version yet I believe. Think I already said this. They might drop when the Vita release is ready, but don't take my word for it.

- They do have facebook/twitter/etc social media accounts to spread awareness. If your talking in the lines of sweepstakes/contests/etc to attract mass attention [which is gonna cost them time and money] then they done that before [I remember them promoting a PC tournament before where I think Marvelous was involved], but I doubt they can now when SG development is about done. L0 did still promote the PS4 release by offering PS4 themes for those that pre-ordered [or whenever EU gets them] so there is that.

- They gave them money to make the ports with the added stuff that wouldn't have existed before since it wasn't IGG funded assets. I doubt there was any left for any serious advertisement budget. This isn't NR where L0 can poop out this during prime time television when they want. Remember this is an indie game where at one point a move list in the pause menu was considered not enough priority [there was a notice to look at a PDF download during the vanilla days.] with the money/time they had. L0's next game is where it looks like they have better publisher support where they don't need to completely rely on an IGG as much.

I haven't had anyone turn up in my recently played list (I'm on PS4).

I've not had anyone on my recently played list, either. I don't know if this is specific to SG, though, I feel like it happens a lot with other games, so maybe it's PSN? I dunno.

I'd say this is the only game I actually care about this feature in, so thank you for working on it. It'll be nice to be able to add a new friend after a quick match.

@Mike_Z Also, forgive me if double posting is against the rules but there's another small bug(?). If I use my controller to press start at the press start screen, my fight stick will no longer work in the game unless I restart the entire game by closing it in the PS4's home menu. Perhaps I should have posted this in the bug report section.

I believe that's because the DS4 controller becomes registered as player 1 and only player 1 can navigate the game menus (so you could still use your fight stick in a vs match). Not really a bug I don't think, just a quirk.

@Mike_Z Also, forgive me if double posting is against the rules but there's another small bug(?). If I use my controller to press start at the press start screen, my fight stick will no longer work in the game unless I restart the entire game by closing it in the PS4's home menu. Perhaps I should have posted this in the bug report section.
Not a bug, DS4s are given priority on the menu.
If you disconnect your DS4 (hold PS button, Devices or whatever, Disconnect, you know how to do that) then you can play with your stick because it'll forget the DS4.

ONLY the PS4 version will reassign who gets menu control if you disconnect things, because ONLY on the PS4 can you 1) not reassign who is player #N and 2) plugging a controller back in doesn't guarantee they become player #N.

PC version of Skullgirls runs on most toasters and awful laptops.
That feel when your comp doesn't even qualify as a toaster.

In training mode for the ps4 is there any way to reset positions without using the touchpad? I'm using a TE2 fightstick and it doesn't have that button, I don't believe there is another way to set it to something else.

In training mode for the ps4 is there any way to reset positions without using the touchpad? I'm using a TE2 fightstick and it doesn't have that button, I don't believe there is another way to set it to something else.
you might be able to bind "select" to a different button, but I can't check or confirm since I don't have a ps4. Its kind of unfortunate that select has become share, it screwed me up a bunch when I tried playing sg on a friend's ps4.

If you can't rebind I'd suggest keeping a ds4 nearby.

I'd be on there... if it was downloaded (waiting for it to download on a datacapped cellphone tether isn't fun.. 30+ hours and it's only at 25% x.x) and a ps3/4 arcade stick... All I have's my MLG Tourney stick for 360 =\ oh and if I still had PS+...

Last edited: