• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Administrative PSA: Big changes are coming to Skullheart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, I understand where the moderator staff are coming from here. With this games art style, some people already are bound to assume its a "weeaboo game" for "neckbeards" who are only in it for their "waifus". They want to keep the games image clean and make sure it's taken serious as a fighting game.

And indeed, letting that kind of anime hipster nerd garbage discussion run rampant has been the source of disgrace for many forums, but this isn't the answer. Off topic forums are a huge part of almost every forum.

Srk has a thriving off topic forum. Shmups.com has a thriving off topic forum. Starcraft 2 forums/Battle.Net has a thriving off topic forum IIRC. People are naturally going to want to discuss off topic stuff the more they become familiar with forum regulars. It's natural, and I've never seen a large or succesful forum that doesn't have at least something akin to an "off topic" or "other games" or "other" forum. Most of the time these forums are a massive part of activity. You know what the only kinds of forums I can think of that don't have thriving off topic forums are? Dead forums.

You need to walk a balance between over-moderating/regulating discussion, and letting stupid shit run wild. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it and it's really the only way to do things right. Right now it feels like the forum is taking the LAW path. You know what happens when you take the law path? You end up committing genocide against Tokyo with a particle accelerator. Please don't commit genocide against Tokyo with a particle accelerator.

Last edited:
So essentially SH is splitting one community. Off-topic was like the little cousin of on topic discussion, and then on topic was like "I'mma go hang out with friends my age".

One big family? Or one immediate family?

The most prominent complaints I heard boiled down to Skullheart so readily encouraging TONS of discussion not even tangentially related to Skullgirls because the moderators and administrators stood by and let SH become a forum about "Skullgirls culture", not Skullgirls.

How does there being an off-topic forum relate at all to the normal SG discussion? Or in any way hamper ones ability to find SG discussion? I never visited off-topic stuff much; the only way I saw off-topic stuff at all previously was from the "Recent Threads" tab and seeing what was there. But if it caused a problem for people to see unrelated threads pop up there, can't you just have threads in the off-topic forum not show up there? (maybe harder than it sounds but there's probably a way)

If people really were just solely complaining about there being an existence of off-topic chat...they probably don't understand online communities. Or people in general. There's only so much you can do for some people.

To add on to the "other big sites have off-topic forums", Sega's (admittedly, shitty) official forum even has one as well, and you could probably find one for any big gaming forum. It's just the nature of things to have one.

SG has one of the strangest communities ever; no one can deny that. I mean we have people dedicated to the lore of the game rather than playing it. I know this puts off people, and more people are irritated that the people that do play don't improve or enter tournaments. But casual players and people who just want to hang around with other people who like what Skullgirls is, either as a fighting game or some kind of cool franchise that would make a neat TV show or whatever, are still part of the community. I would like to imagine even the tournament players like to hang around the off topic threads. Everyone wants Skullgirls to become popular, and yeah we want more people to play the game and it would be cool to have more of a competitive scene, but forcing the focus to be solely Skullgirls isn't going to make anyone want to play the game any more than before.

I mean we have people dedicated to the lore of the game rather than playing it.

You never must've played WoW.

You never must've played WoW.

Well the lore is a big part of the game in general. Since SG is a fighting game I don't really think the lore takes as big a part.

I'm sure you would.

Or every tournament player could be 100% devoted to on topic stuff.
All like, 12 of them.

Damn. I felt the salt in this post l m a o

It's leftovers from all the angry tweets from the Salty regulars.

Or every tournament player could be 100% devoted to on topic stuff.
All like, 12 of them.
If there really are that few tournament players, we should try making some changes to the forum to make sure we don't scare away anyone else who might be interested in picking up the game competitively c:

This means Off-Topic is gone and it's not coming back. It has been replaced with Other Fighting Games, and that is the extent of the non Skullgirls talk that will be allowed on the forum going forward. All non-FG threads have been locked and archived. They won't be deleted, but they will no longer be open for discussion.
Full disclosure, this is a terrible idea.

I'm one of those casual SG players who doesn't really put in a lot of my spare time to practice or play the game. It's a great game but I have other competitive games I choose to focus my efforts on and Skullgirls is a nice side game for me to play with friends. I've only shown up to two online tournaments and can't really go to any physical tournaments. But in the year since I've joined the Skullhearts community I've been more at home here than I have in any other forum I've signed up for.

Other forums, I only go to one or two threads which is usually the only reason why I started posting there in the first place. Skullhearts, not the same. I originally started posting in the dlc character sub-forums in the wake of the IGG campaign and since then I've been in various gameplay and off-topic threads. Since I usually just read a lot of the more technical gameplay threads and don't have the knowledge to post much in the way of useful advice for other players, losing the off-topic forums basically gives me no reason to post here much anymore, which is a shame.
A fighting games only forum screams "no fun allowed" to me which seems to be a common sentiment in the posts above but you'd have to poll every single member to get anything near a consensus.

And trust me, I've seen firsthand some of the problems that happened in the off-topic thread. The fiasco that eventually became the GamerGate thread is still fresh in my mind. What the forum doesn't need is a focus on only one thing. Me being able to come here and have discussions about Beowulf's moves, speculate how Scythana's body-grab mechanic would work, getting some very interesting information on the various histories of monster girls and how it relates to a manga series myself and other read, and finding a place to talk about my love of Kamen Rider Kuuga that isn't 4chan all made this place a great chill spot.

When I read that the powers at be decided to "trim down" the forum. I pretty much knew that something like this would happen. I would strongly ask the moderation of Skullhearts to reconsider removing the off-topic forums. It was a lot more important than you may have given it credit for.

If there really are that few tournament players, we should try making some changes to the forum to make sure we don't scare away anyone else who might be interested in picking up the game competitively c:
These people usually complain about the gameplay forums being a mess and hard to find info, not fanart and people talking about Naruto.

Well, no one ever talked about Naruto here before, so that's already something. =P

Ehh, I have mixed feelings on these changes, imma wait until they are all set in stone first before I give like/don't like verdict.

We talked about Naruto here!? (exept the time when it finnaly ended)

Last edited:
Well the lore is a big part of the game in general. Since SG is a fighting game I don't really think the lore takes as big a part.

Lore can become a big part of any game. It's kind of a natural process that the move involved/dedicated you become to a game, the more you want to like the story and characters.

Lore can become a big part of any game. It's kind of a natural process that the move involved/dedicated you become to a game, the more you want to like the story and characters.

This goes back to a very sensitive subject that you can get banned for in the IRC, which I definitely will not bring up but it is in a way related.

I don't care much about the story or the design of the character I use in a fighting game. I like the gameplay style, the feel and the moves. Lore doesn't influence my decisions in who I chose. Not saying lore is a bad thing. I do like it. I like playing story modes and stuff, but usually on the easiest difficulty because I can't play all the characters and Marie is a pain in the butt when I don't know what works. I actually do prefer lore than none (Destiny el oh el), but again, it doesn't have anything to do with how I play the game when I fight others.

Even with Blazblue having a big ol' hunkering story, when it comes to playing against someone else, the lore doesn't have an effect on anything.

Man, imagine Blazblue style of story for SG. Good lord.

Well the lore is a big part of the game in general.

I'm sorry. I fail to see how lore impacts anything other than the naming of your moveset when in a raid situation.

My point is thousands of other games, including other fighting games, have lore that doesn't really impact literally anything.
You want a fighting game with lore? Mortal Kombat. Tekken. Blazblue.

And, sure, we all poke fun at the "lore" of Skullgirls, but its an important part that some people actually find interesting.

Why should we downplay something that people in the group actually enjoy?

Just because you don't particularly care for it doesn't mean that other people shouldn't have the freedom to discuss and enjoy it.

Except the Squigly fanboys. Yall niggas is weird.

This goes back to a very sensitive subject that you can get banned for in the IRC, which I definitely will not bring up but it is in a way related.

I don't care much about the story or the design of the character I use in a fighting game. I like the gameplay style, the feel and the moves. Lore doesn't influence my decisions in who I chose. Not saying lore is a bad thing. I do like it. I like playing story modes and stuff, but usually on the easiest difficulty because I can't play all the characters and Marie is a pain in the butt when I don't know what works. I actually do prefer lore than none (Destiny el oh el), but again, it doesn't have anything to do with how I play the game when I fight others.

Even with Blazblue having a big ol' hunkering story, when it comes to playing against someone else, the lore doesn't have an effect on anything.

Man, imagine Blazblue style of story for SG. Good lord.

My general philosophy, which I've explained several times in off topic discussions (heh), is that story/aesthetics/etc can add to a game but add to a different part of the game than what the gameplay does. For example, if given the choice between Skullgirls with worse art and Skullgirls with slightly better gameplay/balance, it would really be a matter of personal taste which is better. Maybe you just want the best possible competitive gameplay to challenge your friends with, and maybe you want nice atmosphere going along with your intense fighting game experience. It really depends on what feels your trying to get out of the game and what your in the market for.

Anyway I agree, I generally don't pick characters for aesthetic or story purposes. Or at least very rarely and only if I really really really like them. And I would never not play a character because I don't like the way they look or their story.

Reactions: Grimmhart
I'm sorry. I fail to see how lore impacts anything other than the naming of your moveset when in a raid situation.

My point is thousands of other games, including other fighting games, have lore that doesn't really impact literally anything.
You want a fighting game with lore? Mortal Kombat. Tekken. Blazblue.

And, sure, we all poke fun at the "lore" of Skullgirls, but its an important part that some people actually find interesting.

Why should we downplay something that people in the group actually enjoy?

Just because you don't particularly care for it doesn't mean that other people shouldn't have the freedom to discuss and enjoy it.

Except the Squigly fanboys. Yall niggas is weird.

Did something get lost in translation? I do mean I'm for that. Yes. I think people should have that freedom.

Keep the Off-Topic forums but bury them deeper than Gehenna. The people that want it, can visit and the people that don't can easily ignore it. I don't frequent the off-topic area, but I don't see the harm in their threads. Perhaps space issues (how big is off-topic in MB compared to on-topic?) could be the only downside. Even in the most useless and inane threads down there, every spammy one-liner post serves as a building bond between members. Off-topic forums are the glue on the cracked edges of the community.

Keep the Off-Topic forums but bury them deeper than Gehenna. The people that want it, can visit and the people that don't can easily ignore it. I don't frequent the off-topic area, but I don't see the harm in their threads. Perhaps space issues (how big is off-topic in MB compared to on-topic?) could be the only downside. Even in the most useless and inane threads down there, every spammy one-liner post serves as a building bond between members. Off-topic forums are the glue on the cracked edges of the community.

If Mike Z can hide a whole different game mode in Skullgirls, I think we can keep the dirty OT stuff under the rug too.

Did something get lost in translation? I do mean I'm for that. Yes. I think people should have that freedom.

Yeah, I probably misunderstood your post then.

IGNORE ME. TY.

If Mike Z can hide a whole different game mode in Skullgirls, I think we can keep the dirty OT stuff under the rug too.
You mean the typing thingy?

I have an idea. How about instead of doing what's happening right now, we bring back all the off topic threads and not- gameplay threads and instead get rid of the gameplay threads, and then make it so if you type "Skullgirls Illuminati" on the main page, you get transported to the strictly gameplay version of the site.

I have an idea. How about instead of doing what's happening right now, we bring back all the off topic threads and not- gameplay threads and instead get rid of the gameplay threads, and then make it so if you type "Skullgirls Illuminati" on the main page, you get transported to the strictly gameplay version of the site.

I like this, except instead of typing "Skullgirls Illuminati" we should type "WHEN'S ANNIE".

Lore/art is not very important for the basic of a videogame, but it actually adds a lot.
Many people took Skullgirls because of the quality animation, the story and the character designs. I'm one of them.
I haven't bothered to even learn specials after owning this game four months, and it's this forum that got me interested in the actual gameplay.
People approach games differently, ya' know.

You need to walk a balance between over-moderating/regulating discussion, and letting stupid shit run wild. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it and it's really the only way to do things right. Right now it feels like the forum is taking the LAW path. You know what happens when you take the law path? You end up committing genocide against Tokyo with a particle accelerator. Please don't commit genocide against Tokyo with a particle accelerator.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but the off topic discussion is and always will be here, its probably just going to be in its own place now rather than polluting legitimate discussion.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but the off topic discussion is and always will be here, its probably just going to be in its own place now rather than polluting legitimate discussion.
...no, actually it's really gone. The closest thing to an Off Topic section is now the Other Fighting Games section.

THEY MEAN WHAT THEY'RE SAYING, THEY'RE CRACKIN' DOWN HARD

62Y9az7.jpg

BETTER BE CAREFUL.

Also typing "When's Annie" should unlock the "DDB's Annie Sub-Forum".

THEY MEAN WHAT THEY'RE SAYING, THEY'RE CRACKIN' DOWN HARD

62Y9az7.jpg

BETTER BE CAREFUL.

Also typing "When's Annie" should unlock the "DDB's Annie Sub-Forum".

Status
Not open for further replies.