• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Question about being a TO

Shuriblur

Wannabe Fighter
Reaction score
Steam
Shuriblur
PSN
Shuriblur
XBL
Elemental Blur
Ms. Fortune Fukua Eliza
Hey there every one! I was wondering if someone could give me some insight on this, and I apologize if this was a thread before, or if this is in the wrong area.

I was looking trying to start up a small scene locally. I have a few places in mind that I could possibly use, but there is this one thing that I can't seem to get a solid answer for. I came across it during my research, and it said something about licensing would be need in order to legally run tournaments for any games, because it's seen as gambling. Is this true, or is there something I'm missing? I'm really trying to follow all the rules here to make an event that people will want to come back to. Is there anyone that has an knowledge on this?

Different parts of the world have different laws on whether video game tournaments are considered gambling or not. If you're in the United States I think you're fine. No one has ever asked me for a license, in any case.

Ran a lot of brackets in a lot of venues, never had a license for any of them.

it depends on location and venue, A tournament that I helped with got shot because of claims of "gambling" and had to change its entire structure, I doubt anything bad would happen because there are giant tournaments all the time but you should check with the person who owns the venue if they are fine with it