• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Random Stage Select Thread

Zidiane

Doing my best
Reaction score
Steam
Zidiane
PSN
zidiane5
XBL
Zidiane
Cerebella
Anyone know why the change to Gehenna was made?

Anyone know why the change to Gehenna was made?

possibly it would be hard to see certain character/colour combinations, esp if you have some kind of colour blindness.

may also be part of the reason you dont get blood palette eliza during her story mode.

Training stage is best stage
Atrium definitely though
If I was to be a second, it'd be rooftops assault
I wonder why they don't just decrease how pronounced the stage lighting effect appears on characters on those stages.

Or just have an options toggle for stage lighting. I have seen on the palette streams it exists in the dev builds.

possibly it would be hard to see certain character/colour combinations, esp if you have some kind of colour blindness.

may also be part of the reason you dont get blood palette eliza during her story mode.
Ohhhhhhh. Okay, I see why that's a necessary thing. Though, I wonder, if there's any way maybe start could get the true random select? Or if one player holds Start/another-button-maybe then Random won't pick Gehenna (so the player who isn't color blind can pick the stage)? Cause I'll not enjoy never seeing Gehenna in random select again.

MikeZ said stuff about most of the complaints being because of the music, so I'm going with 2spooky being the reason to remove the stage. But the colorblind comments do make sense.

I don't get why one would think Class Notes, Atrium and Rooftops Assault are bad, though.

Wait, what? Are they getting rid of Gehenna, or something? I LIKE that stage, dammit!

They just made it so it doesn't get chosen when you press random. You can still select it manually.

Why on earth would they do that? That sounds dumb.

Why on earth would they do that? That sounds dumb.
Seems that characters are hard to distinguish on that stage for color blind people due to the low lighting and contrast.

Seems that characters are hard to distinguish on that stage for color blind people due to the low lighting and contrast.
Fuck colorblind people. I'm going to start picking that stage and whatever palette works best/worst with it.

"2spooky4me" is not a reason to remove the stage from random select.

if someone is colorblind or doesn't want to play on a spooky stage they should say that before the match. Random select is a convenience thing for me and I would like to be able to play gehenna every so often without having to think about it. At least make random gehenna an option that you can toggle

Suggestion. Is there a possibility where we are allowed to manually customize what stages are filtered into the 'stage random' pick process? I know for sure DoA 5 lets you do this.

Suggestion. Is there a possibility where we are allowed to manually customize what stages are filtered into the 'stage random' pick process? I know for sure DoA 5 lets you do this.
That is one of those things that is ~on the list~ for 2 years, but a bunch of work for little gain, so kind of questionable whether it will ever appear

If there was a problem with Gehenna and colorblind people, the stage would have been fixed, like all the other times that happened with stages.

Gehenna got cut from random select because people bitched about the stage being gross or scary.

If there was a problem with Gehenna and colorblind people, the stage would have been fixed, like all the other times that happened with stages.

Gehenna got cut from random select because people bitched about the stage being gross or scary.

so 2spooky4me was a legit reason, huh

Eliza is gross and scary. Let's remove her from the game.

Little bitches...

Reactions: WrestlerGuile
I thought this game was rated T for Teens. If someone is spooked by Gehenna, he probably doesn't meet this strict requirement.

I thought this game was rated T for Teens. If someone is spooked by Gehenna, he probably doesn't meet this strict requirement.
Teens are rated LB for Little Bitches.

haha have any of them taken the time to look at some of the characters in this game i mean damn look at eliza

2spooky4me is a reason to remove things? "Can you please remove Gehenna from Random Select? It's too scary, I can't stay unspooked while playing my Nun that vomits out her true self before turning inside out and the girl with no eyes or limbs against the girl made of just blood and a talking skeleton and the girl who regularly breaks her bones and impales herself to fight me."

I love how I can't dislike the aesthetics of Gehenna, I'm only allowed to dislike it because it's 2spooky. The stage looks like trash, and it sounds like burning trash.
I'm sorry, sir, that's an opinion you aren't allowed to have. You're either color blind or you're easily scared. Pick one.

Edit: I still think maybe "holding the buttons for a stage during stage load" or something could prevent that stage from loading and still let people who like it get it randomly.

Last edited:
I still think maybe "holding the buttons for a stage during stage load" or something could prevent that stage from loading and still let people who like it get it randomly.

Man, this is kinda sex suggestion
Everyone gets their one exclusion from stage random select, with no UI work
I love how I can't dislike the aesthetics of Gehenna, I'm only allowed to dislike it because it's 2spooky. The stage looks like trash, and it sounds like burning trash.
Let's be fair; if anyone had the abiliy to remove any one stage, it would be Final Atrium for most people.
Atrium has been complained about as being distracting during gameplay (about the worst a stage can get) since Vanilla(!), by.. Plenty people.
And it was made a bunch less annoying with changes to the lighting etc, but still never removed from random stage select.

Which begs the question: What does Gehenna do so much worse than Atrium, that would cause this decision?
And the only two reasons I can come up with would be 2spooky(weak reason, but at least a reason), and colourblind problems.
I don't think Mike would remove a stage due to a few people saying "I think it's ugly and I don't like the music"..

Let's be fair; if anyone had the abiliy to remove any one stage, it would be Final Atrium for most people.
Atrium has been complained about as being distracting during gameplay (about the worst a stage can get) since Vanilla(!), by.. Plenty people.
And it was made a bunch less annoying with changes to the lighting etc, but still never removed from random stage select.

Which begs the question: What does Gehenna do so much worse than Atrium, that would cause this decision?
And the only two reasons I can come up with would be 2spooky(weak reason, but at least a reason), and colourblind problems.
I don't think Mike would remove a stage due to a few people saying "I think it's ugly and I don't like the music"..
Final Atrium isn't as bad; that stage at least has good music.

If anything, Eye socket Dark Filia + Silent Hill Valentine + White Double are just as if not harder to see on nightmare crest.

Maybe Willy (who makes the stages) is busy with Beowulf's stages and this is just a temporary thing?
I love how Gehenna looks. Especially the creepy eyes all over the place.

But I agree the music could use some work. It sounds more like it'd fit as the soundtrack for a particularly disturbing story mode scene. It's not Robo-Ky's CRICKETS but it's a bit too ambient for a fast paced battle.

Just comparing Gehenna to every other stage it just doesn't look that good. The floor has this "2D but 3D" feel to it that makes it more distracting than anything I've seen on Final Atrium and the background looks very empty and dull for the most part. I don't want to sound harsh but it just doesn't feel as polished as the other stages in the game do.

I'm all for kicking Atrium off of random select. It's a pretty mess, but a mess nonetheless.

It will a whole lot of chaos if we start stating "remove X stage from random select because <opinion>", as seen already. Either everything or stage select menu seems to be the reasonable choice (UI work, though).

yea i think that removing a stage from random just because some people dont like the music or the way it looks is possibly the worst reason to remove a stage. personally i dont like a lot of the custom donation characters or the music on the under the bridge stage but i wouldnt fucking dream of requesting they get removed.

i dont agree with teleport+assist being an easy to see mix up in the slightest. sure you can see that they are doing it, but blocking in the correct direction is literally a guess. also how would one get happy birthdays from it when the assist is now behind your character?

Gehenna being gone from random makes me pretty happy, not going to lie. The the music may be good for story mode but man it kills my buzz when I'm just playing

All this stage talk got me thinking. Maybe there should just be two stage random selects? Call it Random Stage & Random Stage (Tourney).

One that chooses from everything and another that chooses from a list that doesn't include visually disruptive stages. (Like Gehenna, Atrium, Bloodbath, Night Rooftops and whatever else like that.)

Holy shit, make a new thread to talk about the stages and random select.

Made it.

Personally, I'm fine with the change, even though I'm slightly disappointed. I mean.. if I want to pick Gehenna, I'm still going to. Just means that I won't be able to random it, after all.

Reactions: Mr. X