• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Recent game instability?

ragnorok64

Reaction score
Back when Skullgirls was first coming out I seemed to have a issue with it blue screening my whole computer fairly frequently. I seemed to get a little relief by running the game in 98 compatibility mode. After a while the problem seemed to go away.

It seems to have come back with a vengeance recently. I can't even seem to play a full set of games online, in the Beta or full game, without the game closing itself or, more commonly, the whole computer screeches to a halt and goes to blue screen. I've tried disabling my 2nd monitor and running it without compatibility mode but nothing seems to be working for more than a few minutes now.

Has anything changed in a recent update that could be causing this?

My Specs:
Windows 7
Core i5 750
16gb ram
Radeon 5850 (x2)

OK, this may have been a temperature issue on my part. I decided to run some of my system monitoring software while running the game and the CPU temp was way high, even after I adjusted the fan speeds in bios . I removed my CPU heatsink and there was a ton of dust caked in there. I cleaned out the heatsink and reseated everything with fresh thermal paste and my CPU temps have dropped almost 20 °C. I was able to play one extended set without issue or my CPU temp going into the Red. I'll have to to test it more but hopefully this solves the whole issue.

The reason for this just happening now and when the game was first released is probably because my apartments hot due to Spring coming and me refusing to run the AC ( that thing'll run up the electronic bill).